The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 27, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
rebs

45 acp defense

I am interested in the Hornady XTP's for my 1911 for self defense. Of the 185, 200 and 230 gr rounds which would seem best suited ? I have read and heard say to use the same weight bullet that you practice with, is this a truism or falsehood ?
Old October 27, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
g.willikers

The main reason to practice with what you carry is more for accuracy expectations than skill development.
Different weight bullets have slightly different points of impact.
But how important that is for a .45 that might be used at close distances is probably not a big deal.
Trigger time is more important, so use what ever ammo you can most afford to shoot and get the most practice.
Old October 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
JERRYS.

I prefer a heavy for caliber load; in .45acp would be 230gr. @ 850 fps or so....

consistency is the point of using the same load.

same poi, same recoil, same feeding, same recoil "feel"...
Old October 27, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4
shortwave

I like the 230 for a full size 1911 but 185 for my 3 inchers.

If I were going to choose just one for both full size and compact 1911's it would be the 230gr.

Quote:
I have read and heard say to use the same weight bullet that you practice with, is this a truism or falsehood ?
For a SD pistol that would be a truism. As JERRYS so eloquently explained.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5
BigTex308

I only run:

Speer Gold Dots
Federal HydraShocks
Corbon
Winchester PDX-1

And only 200gr and 230gr.

Ike
Old October 28, 2013, 12:37 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

The Army .45 takes no jive!....

I read that once in a 1980s era gun magazine.
Really, for my .45acp, I use the Hornady Critical Duty .45acp; a 220gr +P round that is known to perform well in the FBI protocol tests.
For home defense, I use a 8rd magazine of Magsafe SWAT. I switch because I feel the SWAT load would do better with environment & not ricochet or injury a neighbor/bystander.
I use a M&P Compact too not a 1911a1 pistol.

CF
Old October 28, 2013, 10:27 PM   #7
KyJim

The XTP would be a good round, though not the best available. They tend to penetrate more than many hollow points before starting to expand. I like 230 gr. bullets.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Colt46

Ammo is a lot less critical the bigger the bore

Still, for shorter barrel guns you might want a higher velocity load for your hollowpoint loads.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:51 PM   #9
rebs

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I am going to buy a few and test them and decide which to use. I understand the mass of the 230 and also the higher velocity of the 200 or even the 185. I'll buy a box of each and check the poi and recoil and see which I am more comfortable with and most accurate with..
Old October 29, 2013, 08:00 PM   #10
kutz

+ 2 for shortwave & ClydeFrog
Old October 30, 2013, 06:01 AM   #11
rebs

I am going to look into the magsafe swat bullets for home defense, would they make a good carry bullet as well ? I mean out in a public place there is concern for innocent by standers, a round passing through the assailant or a ricochet.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:25 AM   #12
RickB

You can't depend on expansion, and .45 bullets are essentially pre-expanded, so go for penetration. Fears of "overpentration" notwithstanding, I'll take all the penetration I can get.
Expanding bullets are designed to work within a specific velocity range, so the idea that you will help ensure expansion in short-barreled guns by using a lighter, faster bullet ignores that the ligher bullet is also going slower than it would in a longer barrel, and so also outside the ideal velocity range. All the more reason to go with a heavy bullet, so you at least get good penetration, expansion or no.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:10 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

carry vs home protection rounds....

You could use a well made frangible like Glaser Silver or MagSafe SWAT for general carry but Id go with a proven LE type round that might do better against common barriers like auto glass, building materials, clothing(leather denim down/insulation) etc. In short, the FBI protocol conditions.

Out in the open, you might encounter the same basic circumstances as a sworn LE officer. A thug or felon may be behind cover or they may be near a vehicle.
Now if you are in a densely populated area or work somewhere where common JHPs may have problems(court building, shipyard, medical center/clinic, etc), you might choose a frangible load with a JHP or FMJ in the spare magazines(if required).

CF
www.Magsafeonline.com www.natchezss.com www.Shopcorbon.com www.drtammo.com www.sgammo.com
Old November 2, 2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Stevie-Ray

My EDC is a 3 inch 1911, and when I bought it, I tried a variety of loads, all 230 gr because that's what I prefer. It seemed happiest accuracy-wise with Hydra-Shoks, so that is what I've fed it for over 10 years.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Derbel McDillet

I suggest 230gr Federal HST. If you can't find HST then 230gr Speer Gold Dot.

You can purchase these loads in 50 round boxes with a little searching. IMO if you're buying 20 or 25 round boxes of defense ammo then you' re getting ripped off.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Axelwik

For carry I use 230-grain Gold Dot LE for both my full-size 1911 and XDs.

For practice and plinking I cast 225-grain RN and 200-grain SWC. I load them for the same "feel" as the Gold Dots.
Old November 18, 2013, 04:33 AM   #17
chokeoloko

I highly recommend the 200 grain round. I use it in my self defense 1911
Old November 18, 2013, 08:03 AM   #18
rebs

Thank you guys for all your replies, I appreciate it.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Patriot86

In 45, 40 and 9MM I have always been a big fan of Speer Gold Dot's.
Its what I own/shoot the most of as far as SD/Duty Ammo.

I had a problem with my last 1911, a Springfield, feeding Critical Defense and similar polymer-tipped ammo so I stopped buying it. My XDm45 feeds it all the same.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:04 PM   #20
cookie5

230 GN bonded bullets are what you want,+Ps are not needed.
Old November 21, 2013, 06:10 AM   #21
Hal

Quote:
I have read and heard say to use the same weight bullet that you practice with, is this a truism or falsehood ?
I hate to use Hollywood as an example, but, every once in a while they do come up with some truth.

In the movie, The Outlaw Josey Wales, they talk about getting "an edge".

An edge is anything that gives you an advantage over your opponent.
If using the same weight and velocity bullet for practice as you use for defense delivers more consistent shot placement, then you've gained "an edge".
Granted, it's very slim, but, it's just that much more than the other guy has.
Put enough of them together and you just might overcome one of those pesky Murphy type things.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:39 AM   #22
Gary L. Griffiths

I use WWB 230-gr ball ammo for practice, and carry Federal HST 230-gr+Ps for "serious social occasions." There isn't that much difference in recoil between the two, and they shoot to substantially the same point of impact.

Oh, and pay no attention to that Internet lore about a short barrel not giving sufficient velocity to expand a modern JHP. Here's a HST I fired into water with my 3.3" Springfield XDS.

Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old November 24, 2013, 12:59 AM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Oh, and pay no attention to that Internet lore about a short barrel not giving sufficient velocity to expand a modern JHP. Here's a HST I fired into water with my 3.3" Springfield XDS.
While it is true that modern premium quality self-defense JHP rounds are pretty good at expanding even from compact guns, it is worth pointing out that water testing generally results in more consistent and more pronounced expansion than is usually produced by more conventional and representative gelatin testing.

I'm not saying that round wouldn't have expanded in gelatin, just cautioning against assuming that water testing results are representative of what would happen in the real world.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:41 PM   #24
bikerbill

I use Hornady Critical Defense 185s in my nightstand 1911 and in the two guns I carry -- a Kimber UCII and Springer XDs ... they're the most accurate .45 rounds I've tried and have never caused a feed problem ...