The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1
JimmyR

New magazines for current production weapons

Just wanting to get people's thoughts on this one.

I have a number of firearms that I have begun to accumulate more magazines than I need/carry. I see a good deal, and I jump on them. Some of these mags I use at the range, others I decide to keep new as backups, in case one of my in use mags fail. In my case, they are all factory or quality aftermarket (e.g. Mac Gar mags for my CZ-75BD; BX-25 mags for mt 10/22)

Here enters my dilema: should I leave these new mags in the original packaging, or should I take them out, use them once or twice for function testing, and put them aside again?

If i use them, then looking at them strictly as a commodity, then they lose value as they are no longer "NIB." I could lie about their status, and with minimal use, could easily get away with it, but as an honest guy, I can't make myself do that.

If however, I am required to use them because of some catastrophic failue of all my other mags all at once, then I am forced to use an un-tested magazine that has never been used, increasing the potential for error in my firearm.

Overthinking this much? Yeah, I know, so sue me.

What do you guys do with your extra mags?
Old October 26, 2013, 05:04 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

New magazines for current production weapons

After I have about 10 mags for a gun any others I will leave in the packaging. 10 mags in use with a gun is plenty for competition/defensive use and I don't have any mags that are just for range duty.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
tirod

If you aren't shooting them and testing to see which are going to fail, then leave them in the wrappers to sell in the next desperate scare that comes up.

They should be either proven users for the armory, or investment for future sale.

The real question is, how many do we really need? I've got mags, in the wrapper, and certainly not enough ammo to load them all if they were desperately needed. And I don't intend to sell them. So, something is wrong with my plan.

From that point of view, do you have enough using magazines for the ammo you have on hand for the worst case situation - or are they really just extra to take advantage of some future market?

It's not to say that extra mags aren't good - you can barter with them in certain circumstances.