The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #51
SPEMack618

Quote:
I was feeling pretty good about the several cases I've got in the closet until I read that.
If it makes you feel any better, I doubt I get to put a round of that down range, unless I have to put on a demonstration for the staff that the "old man" (25 is entirerly too young to be the old man) knows what he's doing when it comes to riflery.
Big Sister: "Can you not afford a Pelican? Then buy an Allen gun bag."
Old October 29, 2013, 04:59 PM   #52
aarondhgraham

I think I was the person you were referring to,,,

Quote:
I was talking to one guy that said he has 27000 rounds of 22lr.
I might have been the person you were referring to,,,
When the ammo crunch hit this past January,,,
I had just over 27,000 rounds laid back.

The reason I have that much was because,,,
Of the ammo shortage when Obama was first elected,,,
I spent that summer rationing out one 550 round bulk pack.

I swore that wouldn't happen again,,,
I spent the next four years building a supply.

I got lucky and was able to buy 4 of those 5,000 round cases from the CMA,,,
Then every time I bought a bulk pack to shoot on a weekend,,,
I bought another one to stash away for later use.

Every time I was in Wal Mart I looked on the shelves,,,
If I had any of my allowance of disposable money left that week,,,
Instead of spending it on beer at my watering hole I bought some ammo.

I've been able to go to the range as often as I wanted to this year,,,
And I have been able to help some friends get out shooting.

Just this last weekend I was at the range with a friend of mine,,,
We were finally able to get out and try her new Heritage,,,
I gave her the gun and 1,000 rounds because I could.

I'm now down to just below 20,000 rounds of rimfire,,,
I will restock my supplies when it's available again.

I did the same thing for my centerfire guns,,,
I just didn't have the same number of rounds laid back.

I figured I always want to have 2,000 rounds of 9mm and .38 Special,,,
.357 Mag, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and others I keep 500 to 1,000 rounds on hand.

It's not hoarding for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI,,,
It's just maintaining an on-hand stash of expendable supplies.

When I want to go shooting I just get some ammo from my closet,,,
I replace it as soon as I see it available at the stores again,,,
In the USAF we called it maintaining a Bench Stock.

We all knew this would happen again,,,
I just prepared for it is all.

I am an ant,,,
Not a grasshopper.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 29, 2013, 09:08 PM   #53
rlc323

How much ammo is too much ammo? And who gets to say?

I was lucky to have a good supply of .22LR on hand when the panic hit, not that I really put a lot of effort into getting it. I would pick it up when bulk packs were on sale at various local farm and home stores now and then. There for a while Remington was selling Golden Retriever coffee mugs with .22LR in bags inside. The wife loved the mugs so we ended up with a bunch of them over time. I shoot very little .22 myself but when nieces and nephews come here I like to have it on hand for them. I was even able to supply a formerly non gun owner friend who had bought a Henry rifle for his boy and could find no 22 ammo. It was a good feeling to help him get his son started out on the right path.

It really is not anyone's business how much ammo someone else wants to keep on hand. But common sense should rule. 22LR does have a shorter shelf life than center fire. Just because a TV shows says having 100,000 of rimfire on hand is a good idea, does not really make it so.
Old October 29, 2013, 09:40 PM   #54
Sierra280

I agree with the other posters who say, this is America and you are free to do what you like with your time and money----so long as you aren't hurting anyone else. This is where the problem lies. Sure, no one is going to go on a 20,000+ round shooting spree.

But what if you live in a neighborhood?? House fires unfortunately happen, nobody ever expects it. So I do see a safety issue if your stash is close to others homes, oh and be sure when the fire dept. gets there you tell them about the stash so they can create and maintain a perimeter, whilst your home burns to the ground. That's the only real issue I see.

As for canning urine, if your ammo stash is for a SHTF scenario you probably should be canning urine (boil it down first to concentrate it and save space). Everyone has the few simple things around the house to render urea nitrate. With enough pee, one could blow up just about anything.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:00 PM   #55
North East Redneck

I like to shoot. I also like the fact that I have enough rounds put away that when I cant purchase any, I still feel able to use what I have without being concerned that I will run out. I do not resell any ammo I purchase. As long as money and space allow, I will purchase ammo when I wish. I do not see this as hoarding, I plan to shoot all of it. I have friends that thought the two bricks of .22 they had was somehow going to last them years If I have the money and wish to purchase ammo, and that ammo is available at a decent price, I will purchase it. I'm willing to share within reason, you want 20-40 rounds of 7.62x54 for your new Mosin? You need a brick of .22 to shoot with the kids? No problem, if you are a friend, have at em. If you want a spam can of em, not for sale. I bought when they were readily available. Yes, I spent a decent amount of money to have shooting supplies available. I bought when the ammo was easy to find at a good price. I do not feel any remorse for doing so. And I will continue to buy ammo when I find it.
Found a 50 round box of Federal .38 special with two missing for $9 yesterday, deals are out there, just gotta find em.

Last edited by North East Redneck; October 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:53 PM   #56
medalguy

Just FYI guys, ammo in a house fire should not give any firefighters heartburn. It's not explosive, and even if it's out of ammo cans and loose on the shelf, if it pops the case will just fly a few feet and will not harm anyone wearing turnout equipment. Don't let the remote possibility of a fire keep you from maintaining a stock of ammo.

Propane cylinders, jugs of various chemicals, gas cans, and household cleaners are much more of a problem for firefighters.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:50 PM   #57
Levant

Boring facts on ammunition in a fire:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...tion_fires.pdf

Fun video about ammo in a fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Lots of fun videos of ammo in fires:

https://www.google.com/#q=ammunition+in+a+fire&tbm=vid

Many of them talk about "exploding" ammunition but they are obviously mistaken. You hear pops; you don't see explosions.

Ammunition popping off during a fire is completely safe to anyone in a fire suit and generally safe to anyone at all.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:53 PM   #58
Levant

Quote:
Propane cylinders, jugs of various chemicals, gas cans, and household cleaners are much more of a problem for firefighters.
My neighbor's house burned down a few years back - no one hurt and I, for one, was glad to see them gone, but that's another story.

The part related to the ammo in a fire issue was that the thing that caused the biggest explosion in their house was the water heater. That thing went with a bang that shook my house 150 feet away.

One of the videos I watched from google tonight was a boat fire with ammo on board. The Coast Guard ordered fire fighters to remain 200 yards away because of the ammo yet they allow firefighters to fight fires on boats with gasoline all the time...
Old October 31, 2013, 03:40 AM   #59
Ben Towe

Getting back to the subject of the thread: Ammunition has become, for the moment at least, a commodity. Commodities vary in price constantly based on the market. This is simply an annoyance of the free market. Corn, soybeans, beef, pork, etc. all do this. If you can buy beef calves at $0.90 per pound and sell them at $1.20 no one would blame you, yet doing the same thing with ammo, people make you out to be the Antichrist...
Old October 31, 2013, 02:42 PM   #60
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

If you park your car in front of Academy Sports every morning at 4:00 AM to buy up all the 22 LR - you are the Antichrist.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old October 31, 2013, 03:09 PM   #61
madmo44mag

How much is too much.
That’s way too subjective a question.

I have thousands of rounds but I also have several calibers.
A lot of ammo is military surplus sold in large quantities.
Other is hand loaded in bulk as this reduces the cost of loading.

For me “How much is enough”?
When I run out of room to store it I guess I’ll have enough.

Who gets to decide how much in enough?
Well to me; the guy with the gun to my head gets a say in how much is enough but I just don’t see that happening – LOL!!!

Oh, oh let me add that according the our own Gooberment I am a home grown terrorist because I have lots of ammo, guns and food for more than 5 days.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:20 PM   #62
born2climb

Judging by all the hoopla about ammo in a house fire, you'd think the barrel served no purpose. That ammo is going to "explode"... Without the barrel to concentrate the pressures, ammo is little more than glorified fireworks.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:08 PM   #63
xnaerughiazk

The empty shelves at the big box stores and even some gun shops has just got to get your attention and looking at your supply.

If this was happening to toilet paper, don't tell me you wouldn't buy up the big 24 roll packages more often than usual.

At first I poo-pooed the panic but then watched the supply dry up. Who wants to be down to two boxes of 8 mm or 7 x 57. Some of the oddball ammo may not be run for years as the ammo companies produce the high volume items.

As far as hunting ammo on some calibers a 10 to 20 year supply would be prudent, depending on oddity.

I don't shoot much, so a ten year supply would be a weekend for some, but I'm not going to complain about someone elses use and thinking that everything will just get back to normal is not worth the risk for me.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:24 PM   #64
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't know if a ammo dump in the middle of a residential neighborhood is acceptable under the Homeland Security's Act or not. I know I would be suspicious of such individual/s. {I'm pretty sure Local L/E would be also.} If arrest's were made. Just the attorney fee's to straighten out a situation in/out of court would worry me alone. Those who choose to store such material at their residence. That's your prerogative.
Old November 1, 2013, 12:00 AM   #65
Levant

So then answer the original questions. How much is too much and who gets to decide?
Old November 1, 2013, 12:10 AM   #66
Tejicano

When I grew up there used to be a saying you would hear frequently : "It's a free country". It was generally used to express the idea that while I might not agree exactly with what somebody else is doing it is their right to do it as long as nobody is tresspassed against. I don't know what has happened to that saying and that attitude.

I have a number of unusual personal foibles of which firearms are just one. I kinda take pride in my differences - I had no problem when some Air Force general was quoted referring to the Marines as "an extremist organization" (I'm a former Marine) .

If somebody were to tell me that me owning two or three dozen "ASSAULT WEAPONS!", 7 to 8,000 rounds of assorted ammunition, or a huge pile of handguns was unusual/strange/questionable it would only make me smile and chuckle to myself. Nothing they can do about it personally and I dare them to try.

"Too much" is only when your basic needs, or the basic needs of people you are responsible for, are not being met.
Old November 1, 2013, 12:20 AM   #67
JohnKSa
Staff

How much is too much ammo?
Any reasonable amount is not too much. How much is reasonable depends on the what the owner feels is reasonable for his circumstances.

Who gets to say how much is too much?
Each person gets to decide that on his own, since each person decides how much is reasonable for his own circumstances.

Of course, that's not the end of it.

As in any society, the above applies right up until what one or more members of the society decide is reasonable has a sufficiently negative impact or potential negative impact or perceived negative impact on the OTHER members of society that those other members determine that it is in their best interest to devise and enforce a legal definition of "reasonable amount of ammunition". And if they have sufficient power/numbers to make it happen that's precisely what they do.

Then the law says how much is too much.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:54 PM   #68
MattShlock

Levant;
If you have to ask...

...your on the list.

Old November 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #69
thedudeabides

I like having adequate ammo in all calibers for the guns I own, as well as adequate reloading supplies for 45 ACP, since that's what I shoot most.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:04 PM   #70
BuckRub

you probably got some on here claiming to have thousands when in reality only have a box of 20 and others keeping a low profile do have thousands upon thousands.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:20 PM   #71
Levant

I don't get the first point. But count me in that category.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:18 PM   #72
Chaz88

Well all I can say is I wish I had stocked up on more of everything, particularly .22 lr and reloading components. Two reasons I did not- 1. only so much money to go around. 2. thought I could generally buy more when needed.

Never dreamed that .22 would be in such short supply. Now, for the first time in 43 years, I am even running short on free lead for casting and I recently heard that a smelting shutdown is going to make buying lead a problem.

Guess if all else fails I can replace the artwork on the walls with my guns and set around enjoying their artistic value.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:59 PM   #73
Buzzcook

Too much is when keeping and acquiring ammo interferes with the necessary functions of life.

For instance, do you buy ammo instead of pay rent? Then probably you have too much and need to reorganize your priorities.

Just because it's ammo, doesn't make hoarding any more attractive than those poor folks on A&E.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:23 AM   #74
NWPilgrim

How much ammo is too much ammo? And who gets to say?

Too much ammo is when stacks of pallets fall over and spill onto your neighbors property.

Seriously, as stated above, as long as it is within your discretionary budget and balanced with other priorities who cares? Or why should anyone care?
Old November 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #75
Levant

Quote:
Just because it's ammo, doesn't make hoarding any more attractive than those poor folks on A&E.
Just because you have a lot it's like hoarding on TV? I think huge piles of ammo are much more attractive than huge piles of trash and old newspapers - though only slightly more useful EOTWAWKI when you might trade ammo for paper for sanitary reasons

But I don't get why it is hoarding to buy ammo in any quantity you want to buy it in.
Closed Thread