The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2013, 02:52 PM   #26
jmr40

I have both, never had a single issue with either. The McCormicks are cheaper, so I have more of them.
Old October 27, 2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Sodbuster

Started out buying the Wilson 47D mags, for no particular reason. Heard too many good things about the CMC not to try them. I now buy CMC; cheaper and work perfectly. And they help me shoot straighter. OK, not really.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old October 29, 2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Stevie-Ray

Have only McCormick mag, since they are available at gun shows, but not Wilson. Mcs are great. Would try Wilson if I didn't have to order it. But I really wish Pachmayr were still available. Hands down the best.
Old October 29, 2013, 05:05 PM   #29
wayneinFL

I haven't had the more expensive Chip McCormick mags. I've only had Shooting Star 7 round mags. Most of them worked fine, but I had a couple of them that wouldn't feed well.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:05 PM   #30
sigxder

Nthing wrong with Mc Cormicks mags. But I've got best results with Wilson's standard 47 mags in all my 1911's. Try both. Which ever works best in your gun is the right answer. Both equally as well? Which is cheaper and/or easier to get?
Old October 30, 2013, 09:41 PM   #31
lefteye

I chose Wilson Combat 47D magazines several years ago. So far they have been 100% reliable. I've never tried McCormick magazines buy I believe they have a similar reputation for quality.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:01 AM   #32
RX-79G

The Shooting Stars that I had were amazing in their ability to feed both ball and semi-wadcutter lead handloads perfectly. It is hard to imagine that a mag could be markedly better than that, especially for the price.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:03 AM   #33
Brian48

Had both. My mags see hard use. Right now my current favorites are the Chip McCormicks. They seem to hold up better. The mag housing is definitely sturdier than the WCs.

Note, I am referring to the PowerMags or PowerMag Plus, not the traditional, welded-base Shooting Star versions. These seem to come with a weaker spring that wears faster than the other versions.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:34 AM   #34
Rogervzv

I have about 18 CMC magazines including 8 and ten rounders and five 1911 pistols. The CMCs function perfectly in all five pistols, which are Colts and Dan Wessons.

Can't say enough good things about the CMC magazines. I am a fan. They work, look good, and hold a lot of rounds. I especially like the ten-rounders and no, I don't mind the thing sticking out of the grip.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:42 PM   #35
RickB

I did have an issue with CMC followers "collapsing", the angle of the "v" between the upper and lower elements narrowing considerably. They were the cheaper 10-rounders, and CMC gave me a 50% trade-in value on new Power 10s.
I've not had any such issues with the Power 10s, Power 8s, or earlier Shooting Star 8s.
I suspect the defective followers were not properly tempered, and it was an isolated incident.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Don P

For me price,CM shooting stars will cost half of the Wilson's so its 2 for the price of one and as stated I have had great luck with the CM mags so for now I'll stick with them
Old November 15, 2013, 08:35 AM   #37
1911Colt

Wilson Combat magazines are one the finest, and smoothest functioning, in my opinion.
I purchased three for my Kimber Ultra Raptor 1911, and left the Kimber factory mags in the box ....

They may cost a little more, but are completely worth it.