The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2013, 08:08 PM   #51
tomrkba

I read it awhile back and forgot.

Are you any good at shooting it? If you suck, then go to training before carrying.
Old October 24, 2013, 08:38 PM   #52
campbed

On my short list... 9mm ccw...

http://www.berettausa.com/nano/

and review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxpkM7q_2E

It is tough to select given I want to hold and shoot prior to purchasing.

I'd ignore the caliber religion wars. We just had two knuckleheads here in NH (if I remember right) dispatch each other, one with 22LR, one with 9mm, both seem to be dead.

Maybe we over think this. If you buy one of your choices, and turn out not to like it, or carry it, sell it and repeat. Downer somewhat, but the up side is you get to turn yourself into an expert on the ones you've owned. Ha.

Good luck.

Last edited by campbed; October 24, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #53
tomrkba

Quote:
Maybe we over think this. If you buy one of your choices, and turn out not to like it, or carry it, sell it and repeat. Downer somewhat, but the up side is you get to turn yourself into an expert on the ones you've owned
Half the fun of gun ownership and shooting is that churn. Negotiating a great deal is fun. It allows one to try different guns for awhile. Sometimes they're keepers and sometimes not.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:55 AM   #54
rodfac

Having carried for many, I hate to think how many, years, I'd opine that weight is a vary big part of your decision to tote your piece or leave it in the glove box. Size is next, and caliber third.

For that reason, I really like the S&W J frames, particularly the Airweight series. In .38 Spl +P, they offer good SD options, light weight and small yet controllable size. Simplicity is their middle name...pull the trigger...that's it. No magazines to fully seat, no safety to mess with or inadvertently push off or on, no slide to rack if you've got slippery hands or are wearing gloves....Simplicity in the heat of an encounter may save your life....and for a non-gun person (?Wife?)...a revolver is the best choice (IMHO).

The hammerless, Airweight's fit in most any pocket, can be shot from there if it's loose enough, and won't snag as you make your draw move. A pocket holster will help, but is not absolutely necessary. My preference, is one of the high ride OWB holsters, and I adjust my wardrobe to accommodate that preference. In all honesty, if you carry, you WILL make wardrobe adjustments with any holster or pocket carry method.

Caliber: .380 is pretty light (not recommended by many shooting schools, Front Sight among them). A .38 Spl or 9mm is a better choice, but any gun is better than none, even the lowly .22 LR. And the recommendation to shoot your carry piece a lot cannot be over-emphasized...a lot....so that the gun is an extension of your hand....regular practice is a necessity as gun fighting is a perishable skill....

I shoot every day...some for fun, some for SD practice but it helps to have a range out my back door....commit to the practice, and force your wife if necessary, to accompany you as often as she'll allow. She's more apt to be confronted than you, if you think about it....

HTH's ... Rod.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #55
blackwaterstout

Re: First conceal carry pistol. Need some info

I bit the bullet so to speak and picked up the M&P Shield in 9mm. Hopefully I can get it to the range this weekend to break it in. Have to admit though, almost had second thoughts after the shop owner showed me the Beretta Nano. Went with the Shield instead since I hadn't educated myself about the Nano.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:09 PM   #56
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations on the Shield! We look forward to your range report.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old November 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #57
blackwaterstout

Re: First conceal carry pistol. Need some info

Here are a few pics.uploadfromtaptalk1383421034991.jpg

Next my CZ75bd policeuploadfromtaptalk1383421120790.jpg

In the Targa iwb holsteruploadfromtaptalk1383421169187.jpg
Old November 3, 2013, 03:05 PM   #58
loose_holster_dan

can't go wrong with a shield.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #59
obiwan1

Your Shield is as good a choice as any others. Now just figure out how to carry it. OWB, IWB, pocket, ankle, groin.....

As I was reading the thread, I was going to suggest that you buy GOOD holster/belt for the CZ. Over MANY years of carrying, I find it just as easy to carry any duty sized or compact sized auto. I currently carry a H&K P2000 with no issues at all. Once you get into the sub compact/pocket guns, you expand the possibilities of how to carry, but with some negative impact on performance. I carried a PPK .380 for well over 20 years. I learned to live with its issues (and there ARE issues). Most of the time in a Brooks Brother's environment it was pocket carry (with a Rybka pocket holster). Casual time with a decent IWB holster. When belt carrying OWB, it's just as easy to hide a 1911 or Browning P35 (again - with GOOD belt/holster). This was the '60s, '70s, '80s and up until mid '90s. Now there are dozens of choices all of which are excellent.

Bottom line - your Shield is fine. It will complement the CZ very nicely. You may just find that the CZ is for you and the Shield will be for wifey. Whatever.... just train with what you chose to carry.