The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 23, 2013, 11:59 AM   #51
Hal

Quote:
But if I were out in the wild hunting and I was only planning on a few shots to get my prey. I myself would go without as the damage is going to be pretty minimal to my already beat up hearing.
Not true..

Hearing loss is cumulative.
You never really know what's going to be the last straw until after the fact.

Just one shot w/out protection may be all that it takes to push the damage over the edge.

You're looking at the situation 180 degrees apart from how you should.

W/the amount of hearing loss you already have, you should be the first to use some sort of protection to avoid having it go beyond the point of no return.

It's ironic that this thread is about the .22 caliber since it was a Marlin/Glenfield M60 that did in the hearing of my right ear.
I shoot lefty and my right ear was close to the ejection port.
I remember the instance pretty clearly even though it's been close to 40 years ago.
I shot 16 shots & my ears were ringing bad. Worse than I recalled ever happening.
That ringing has never stopped.

Believe me - don't dismiss the cumulative damage that occurs.
Do or find something that preserves what you have left.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:37 PM   #52
Skans

Re hearing and guns: Do you really want to get to the end of your life and have your hearing, sight, libido, mental acuity, liver, strength and stamina in nearly tip-top condition? Are you an organ donor, because I want what's left over when you kick the bucket!

In all seriousness, lots of us shot .22lr without hearing protection, even when we were kids. I have some slight ringing, but it wasn't from shooting - it was from riding my motorcycle long distances without hearing protection - constant wind noise.

I'm not recommending shooting without hearing protection either, but I've done it and so have most other people. FWIW, I do wear hearing protection when i hunt. Yes, it's hard to hear the rustling in the woods, but that big pig (or buck) ain't worth my hearing.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I think we are done - we are off topic.

Shoot 22s or not. Just enjoy yourself.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Closed Thread