The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1
smee78

Got a 3913NL today

Hi everyone,

I was at a local pawn shop a few months ago and saw a S&W 3913 they had just put out, I looked it over and it was filthy and over priced but in good condition. Well I went back to that pawn shop today and it was still there, after my last visit I did a little home work and found out it was a 3913NL with the gray grips and the slanted dust cover (no ladysmith etching), I went ahead and put it on lay-a-way, I was able to get them to knock off a few bucks and got it for $535 and it came with 3 mags. I know its not the deal of the week but I carry my 3953 so much I thought I had better get it some company before these all but disapear. They make the best summer carry with shorts and a tee shirt. So how did I do?
Old October 17, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
jsbethel

I paid that much for my LNIB NL about 5 years ago. It is a scarce pistol.

Old October 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

I have found these babies going faster than a few years ago and for more money too.

I think now is the time to pick up a few if you get a chance. they won't be around long.

I picked up a Nice little 5906 last month (got lucky). She shoots so sweet.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=5906

I have a feeling you are going to enjoy it. Hey,where are those pictures!
Old October 17, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Elerius

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good find running into one. When I bought my Redhawk a couple weeks ago, a guy walked in right after I had paid and started the transfer work and opened the case he had. My surreptitious glance identified the grey grips as the 3913 which he was selling to the shop. I'd never seen one for sale in person and it is on my gun list. Pity
Old October 18, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Sevens

I don't care much for small guns, really, pistols or revolvers. I certainly see their utility and I make no argument against that utility -- just, simply, that I'm not a small gun kind of guy. I like my EDC, I choose not to carry a BUG and I loathe the idea of a mousegun on the whole.

Why do I say these things, is it because I want to pollute a thread where everyone is loving on a 3919?

No! 180 degrees! A 3919 is going to come home with me one day, when I bump in to the deal that makes sense. It'll likely be the smallest (real) handgun I own when it does get welcomed in to my safe. I love a S&W 3rd Gen, and these may be some of the finest example of that family of pistols.

I'm jealous of your new find. And if it looks as good as the picture jsbethel uploaded, I'm even -MORE- jealous.

Great pistols. Fantastic breeding!
Old October 18, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
smee78

As soon as I get it off of lay-a-way I will post some pics, I cant wait to get it. This was the first one I can recall seeing once I started looking for one, like I said before, it will be in good company 3953, 5906, 5926, 1006 & 1076

Last edited by smee78; October 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Sevens

Sadly, for as much as I love the platform, I own only two 3rd Gens. But both can be found on your list! A minty 1006 and a well-used, much-carried and runs-like-a-top 5906.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
JERRYS.

the 39XX series guns were S&W's best in my view. I had a 3913NL and sold it off in a fit of rage when they kissed Clinton's ass in the 90s. I currently have a 3953. would like a 3913 NL or LS again one day...
Old October 19, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
smee78

Ya I will admit I am a SS 9mm single stack junkie, I just love the feel and handling of a nice single stack. I'm on the hunt for a 3906 but dont think I will find one any time soon. I also forgot to mention my S&W 639,,,, ya its a weakness.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:05 AM   #10
WVsig

Great guns I love my 3914 Lady smith....

Old October 19, 2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
it will be in good company 3953, 5906, 5926, 1006 & 1076
So family photo coming! Awesome..
Old October 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #12
mrcharlie3531

I think you did very well on this deal. I am assuming you got three factory mags with the pistol. The factory mags are hard to find. I was trying find another for my 3953. I located two at my last local gun show. 42.00 & 45.00 apiece from separate vendors. You got 120.00 in magazines. My 3953

Old October 19, 2013, 08:28 PM   #13
smee78

Great pictures guys, I will get a "family photo" together when I pick it up.
Old October 20, 2013, 12:08 AM   #14
michael t

I am sorry I ever sold mine .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old October 20, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
skoro

I have a 3913NL and its ugly stepsister, the 908S. They're both excellent shooters. I'm a fan of the 3rd gen Smiths but these are all I own.
Old October 20, 2013, 06:34 PM   #16
ShipWreck

Damn nice gun. Congrats. I have wanted one for years
Old October 24, 2013, 05:24 PM   #17
smee78

I'm having a hard time waiting to get this gun out of lay-a-way, I realllly want to pick this thing up and get some range time with it. Anyone else out there have any pictures they want to share to help tide me over.
Old October 24, 2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I'm having a hard time waiting to get this gun out of lay-a-way, I realllly want to pick this thing up and get some range time with it. Anyone else out there have any pictures they want to share to help tide me over
My 5906.....soon to have an older brother the 410...close enough?

I have been working on a trade to snatch up a 410 and if it goes well I will be a daddy again...
Old October 25, 2013, 11:03 PM   #19
745SW

Kahr doesn't appear to make/sell a ton. Perhaps the market is to small for S&W.
Old October 26, 2013, 07:13 AM   #20
smee78

I could not wait any longer, I went down and picked it up yesterday. I will post pics sometime this weekend. I believe it all has to do with cost when it comes to production, plastic is easier than metal to make from shipping in raw material to the finished product it just makes more profit for the stock holders.
Old October 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Sevens

I don't think the makeup or materials was the driving force behind the way things worked out. It's market driven, this generation demands tupperware, so you make it or you became an "also ran" in the industry.

So maybe we can hold out hope that S&W has kept the tooling, and maybe elects to build them again one day. (or maybe they put the equipment in the alley or back lot to rust out... )
Old October 29, 2013, 04:07 PM   #22
mrcharlie3531

Where are the pictures brother?? Looking forward to seeing them.
Old October 30, 2013, 04:12 PM   #23
smee78

Sorry yall, I had to go out of town for a few days for work. Will post pictures when I get back and get caught up.
Old October 30, 2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I missed a great going out of business sale on a 3913 LS from a LGS because I was broke. That's what I get for sending my kid to college.

Oh, well - she's worth it but I still dream about that gun.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old November 2, 2013, 03:23 PM   #25
KyJim

Quote:
I missed a great going out of business sale on a 3913 LS from a LGS because I was broke. That's what I get for sending my kid to college.
I bought my 3913 LS in a "discontinued model" sale at my LGS. Kids weren't in college yet. I carried it for some time in the rig below before finally going a different direction. I really like the gun.

Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.