The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Paul was a terrific guy and his outfits didn't signal GUN!

It would be interesting if some criminologist did a study on CCW indicators and what the criminal population cues on.

The police sites have posted CCW carry cues that officers can use.

Ex. http://www.policeone.com/news/164016...rmed-Suspects/
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old October 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #27
Erno86

Those Tac/photographers vest's are sometimes called: "Shoot Me First Vests", that is...say, if a gun robber stages a hit on a store. The robber cases the store patron's/clerks and will first shoot at anybody who is wearing a vest, thinking that the wearer has a concealed gun under his/her vest.

--- George Orwell
Old October 14, 2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Teach me! How do you leave shirts unbuttoned and maintain concealment? I always leave the house like this but end up buttoning a button pretty quick due to wind, etc
A friend of mine gave me a tip on this. I haven't honestly tried it yet, but I keep swearing that I'm going to. He takes a couple of what we used to call "slugs," metal disks, about the size of a quarter, and either stitches or glues them into the "front corners" of the shirt, along the seam where the buttons are. Obviously, this won't stop the shirt from blowing in gale-force winds, but he says it helps with minor gusts.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old October 15, 2013, 03:28 AM   #29
Brit

dawg23,
Said this[QUOTE Very few people suspect an OWB Glock 19 to be under a "Hawaiian" shirt covered with fish, sailboats, flowers, etc. ][/QUOTE]

That's what I wear! For going to a nice Restaurant, one of my really nice Guayabera, Spanish/Cuban? style shirts looks great.

And as the Style is a sort of stiff, straight cut, hides a pistol, the One I carry, a Glock19, with spare G17 mag. and Surefire flashlight on the "Weak" side.

The tight fitting tee shirt completes the picture. Hi neck. Also protects against hot brass!
Old October 15, 2013, 07:03 AM   #30
breakingcontact

Re: Cover garments

Style people! Please have a shirt with square tails if youre not going to tuck it in!
Old October 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Brit

Quote:
Style people! Please have a shirt with square tails if youre not going to tuck it in!
I do! Love Florida! Look like a tourist, a tourist with a Scouse accent?
Old October 15, 2013, 08:56 PM   #32
dawg23

Quote:
^^^ This.

Button up shirts w/ squared off shirt-tails are called "camp shirts" (Cuban shirts are usually called Guayabera). Plenty of places to order them online.

I'm also lucky enough to be able to carry Glock 19 in OWB with Underarmour polo shirts, untucked. Of course I pick dark patterns, and don't buy shirts that fit too tightly.

As was mentioned earlier, Gomez was a great guy -- and an incredible resource about things related to self defense. Every time I attended a training class (Tom Givens, Yeager, Andy Stanford, et al), there was Paul, usually shooting a G19. We seemed to always manage to have adjacent firing lanes.

Paul is the only guy I knew who could find shirts that were uglier than mine. I would draw the line at flowers (opting for Mayan patterns, dogs, sailboats, whatever). Not Paul -- he was a purist, and the magnolia blossoms or chrysanthemums were the most effective urban camo.

I think everyone misses Paul. I know I do.
Old October 15, 2013, 11:18 PM   #33
Kilroy08

Quote:
Spats, "...He takes a couple of what we used to call "slugs," metal disks, about the size of a quarter, and either stitches or glues them into the "front corners" of the shirt, along the seam where the buttons are."
I picked up on the same thing too. I was reading G. Gordon Liddy's biography and he was talking about the same thing involving a 1 ounce fishing sinker in the front corner of his suit jacket back during his FBI days. Now that you reminded me of that, I might have to break out the needle and thread after I pick up some stainless washers.

I usually prefer Hawaiian shirts or ones with a checkered print during the summer. My Glock 22 riding in a shoulder holster pretty much disappears.

During colder weather, nothing beats a good leather jacket. I could probably make my 6" GP100 disappear inside that.
Old October 16, 2013, 12:20 AM   #34
ClydeFrog

reading material.....

If you'd like some interesting input on fashion/concealment garments, pick up the novel; The Protector. It's author, David Morrell(who wrote First Blood & created the John J Rambo character) is very detailed.
In the novel, the main character(a former CAG/Delta Force member) goes over his wardrobe & how to key into "operators", .
Morrell's research is not off the mark. COL Charles Beckwith, the Airborne Ranger who started & ran the first version of SFOD-1/Delta hired a "fashion consultant" to aid the members in covert ops/protection details.

CF
Old October 16, 2013, 01:22 PM   #35
MountainDrew

I have made a few observations that flavor my clothing selections

1. Jacket cannot have an elastic waste. several of my old favorite jackets have the elastic waste, and you cannot move around without is catching, snagging, or trying to pull up and expose your gun. Plain bottom edge is best, with no trim.

2. Shirt (or Jacket) fabric that is stretchy is a no-no. Stretchy fabric catches and prints about ten times worse than non-stretch fabric. Heavier is better, but even a thin summer button up can conceal nicely if it is a little loose and plain fabric. I can conceal a full size gun in a short sleeve button up shirt tucked in loosely and "bloused" out a little bit. Cannot do it with a stretchy polo or such. Hawaiian shirts are great, cotton or rayon, but again stretchy one don't work well.

3. All my pants are bought now with IWB carry compensated for. It just means they are slightly loose without a holster in there, but that's what a belt is for.
Old October 16, 2013, 01:30 PM   #36
ClydeFrog

Drawstrings....

I avoid jackets & coats with any drawstrings or large zippers.
These small items can snag or get caught as you go to draw in a hurry.

You may think a jacket drawstring or minor thing like a zipper isn't necessary but I once got the belt loop of my pants caught on a door latch!

Clyde
Old October 16, 2013, 03:46 PM   #37
Erno86

I think why some of these yo's walk around what looks like there pants are falling down, is that it would be easier to hide a pistol inside the crotch of your pants; that seem to be at least part ways falling down.

--- George Orwell
Old October 16, 2013, 04:52 PM   #38
ClydeFrog

Plexico....

NFL star Plexico Burgess had his .380acp pistol slide down his leg.
Reportedly he was wearing pants with just a drawstring(no belt).
Burgess didnt have a holster either, , which made the compact pistol slip. He pulled the trigger & the round hit the side of his leg.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #39
Brit

Clyde, a buddy of mine, an OPP Constable. (Ontario Provincial Police) told me of a funny tale (Well I thought it was funny) he had stopped a speeder, not far from Toronto, on the 401.

"Let go of your pants, put your hands on your ears" I know it sounds weird, but that is what he said, he said.

"Clunk" "Step back, turn around" Nice pistol, .380! Stuck in waist band.

His Sgt. was upset that he unloaded it, and put all the rounds, and magazine, in an evidence bag, with the pistol.

"How can we prove he had it, your finger prints will be all over it!"

Rob was a gun person, the thought of taking a pistol in to the Station, not unloaded did not bear thinking about. The most Officers were not gun people.
Only knew about the one they were issued.

His comment was "I will tell the Judge what happened" covered the evidence.
Old October 17, 2013, 08:19 PM   #40
Bob Wright

Did you also buy the plaid shorts, black socks, and those soft leather shoes with the perforations?

Bob Wright
Old October 18, 2013, 12:02 AM   #41
Arizona Fusilier

A whole lot of emphasis on shirts in this thread.

If you haven't noticed, large, cavernous, baggy shorts, mostly with cargo pockets, are in style, and will go with a variety of upper-body garments.

Maybe not the fastest draw, or the biggest weapon, but if concealment is the main thing......just sayin'.

I carry a PPKS .380 and a S&W Bodyguard .38 in my cargo pocket shorts all the time....absolutely no one is the wiser. Use a good pocket holster, though.
Old October 19, 2013, 04:34 AM   #42
Brit

Not for me, the gun in pocket, due to whatever, just preference. But standing with your hand in your pocket, is not so intimidating, but having your hand on a pistol, in a pocket holster, can not be beaten for the Surprise/Surprise factor.
Old October 19, 2013, 08:49 PM   #43
Blue1

If your wife PROHIBITS you from wearing certain clothes, you have more issues than printing your carry.

Blue1
Old October 20, 2013, 11:27 AM   #44
gotthegoods

I am in the "Charlie Harper" camp shirt camp.

Works very well for business casual and I can dress it up a little more by tucking and adding a sport coat.

Also agree with square cut for any un-tucked shirt.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #45
Brit

I am with you Blue 1~!

Mind you we went out for supper, my Wife had Blue on, so I changed my shirt to match her blue!

My idea, but we do that now and again, she thought the ball cap was a bit much! But at least I take it off when we are seated!
Old October 23, 2013, 08:02 AM   #46
Don P

Quote:
For general wear in hot climates or warm weather, Id go with the practical, simple safari or 5.11 type vest. The extra pockets can carry kit or back up stuff; white-light, cell phone, folder-knife, first aid or "blow out" kit, badge/ID/creds(if required), spare magazines or speed strips, passport/documents, etc.
In warmer areas you can get a vest in khaki, OD or a grey color.
I would not want to wear any type vest in our lovely July/August summer heat. Mid to upper 90's and a humidity of 70-90% making a heat index of 100-107 degree feel like temp.

Heat stroke here we come. With passing of the bills that eliminated the accidental print/exposure of a firearm a punishable offense, dressing has become a little easier for CCW. I'm a big boy and can carry a Gov model 1911 with just wearing a t-shirt and no vest. With all the cell phones today no one even pays attention to slight bulges. Folks are too busy in condition white to even notice. Tex ting and chatting seem to be much more important than that small bulge on your hip. Just my opinion from 23 years of CCW in this sweat box called Florida.
Old October 23, 2013, 08:25 AM   #47
ClydeFrog

New fabrics....

There are many new fabrics & styles that can keep you cool even in the FL heat.
A/C helps too.
5.11 has the "taclite" fabric for warmer areas.
I've also seen new activewear designs in materials that breathe or reduce UV light(sunlight).
I don't care for a few styles because they feel uncomfortable.

Clyde
Old October 23, 2013, 09:13 AM   #48
Constantine

I'm in Miami. T-shirts and button ups with the sleeves rolled past my elbows. All the time. I'm also always wearing blue jeans. Not much of a shorts wearing person outside the house. Barely even wear shorts in the house.

My button ups are great for concealing: IWB, AIWB, and OWB

My T-shirts do the trick for IWB and AIWB.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old October 23, 2013, 01:05 PM   #49
ClydeFrog

AIWB?....

What is AIWB? Is that above inside the waistband?
Old October 23, 2013, 01:18 PM   #50
Constantine

Appendix.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen