The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 11, 2013, 03:59 AM   #1
monoxide
Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2013
Posts: 51
lead shot

where is the cheapest place to buy lead shot? i dont nee any name brand or fancy shot i am going to be using it to make soft diving weights so i need 40-50lbs of shot. but will get less if thats all i can find. let me know some cheap sources for it.
monoxide is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
dahermit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2006
Location: South Central Michigan...near Ohio, Indiana.
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
i am going to be using it to make soft diving weights
Sacrilege! Sacrilege! Have you no shame? Who would do such a thing with sources of bullet casting lead are drying up?
Just a note, most lead shot is not "soft" (pure), lead...it usually contains some antimony and arsenic whereas diving weights are usually just plain lead. I do not know if they stick to plain lead for diving weights because of sea water reacting with antimony and arsenic, or just because pure lead is cheaper. You may want to look into that.
The cheapest source for lead shot, is reclaimed shot from trap ranges. You would have to find them and approach them about buying some.
__________________
Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you only pay more for what you get.
Three shots are not a "group"...they are a "few".

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
dahermit is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
rlc323
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 23, 2013
Location: Forgottonia, Il
Posts: 217
There really is no cheap place to buy shot anymore. If you have a local reloading supplier that has it in stock you are looking around $40 bucks for 25 lb. bags.

Big box stores like Bass Pro and such are up over $50 per bag now.

I did the calculation a few months ago based on the market price of lead and almost $30 bucks of a 25 lb. bag was material cost, not counting processing and shipping.
rlc323 is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
monoxide
Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2013
Posts: 51
lead shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Sacrilege! Sacrilege! Have you no shame? Who would do such a thing with sources of bullet casting lead are drying up?
Just a note, most lead shot is not "soft" (pure), lead...it usually contains some antimony and arsenic whereas diving weights are usually just plain lead. I do not know if they stick to plain lead for diving weights because of sea water reacting with antimony and arsenic, or just because pure lead is cheaper. You may want to look into that.
The cheapest source for lead shot, is reclaimed shot from trap ranges. You would have to find them and approach them about buying some.
Making my own weights is cheaper 20lbs of dive weights is 80 bucks and 25lbs of shot is 40
monoxide is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
SHR970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 24, 2011
Posts: 509
Rotometals

But the link I am providing will take you to the section that also has dive weights. If you really want lead shot including reclaimed you can find it here.

http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Products-s/20.htm
SHR970 is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
jepp2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 24, 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 1,309
If you know anyone that access to a shooting range, that much lead can be "mined" in a short time from the berms you shoot into. Needs to be done safely!!
__________________
NRA Benefactor member
jepp2 is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
g.willikers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 28, 2008
Posts: 4,830
Now, I've heard of making bullets from dive weights, but not the other way around.
Just hang some small sized exercise weights on your BC or belt, instead.
No kidding, works just fine and just about every garage sale has them cheap.
Save the lead for the rest of us.
__________________
Lock the doors, they're coming in the windows.
g.willikers is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 06:56 PM   #8
10 Spot Terminator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2008
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 346
Curious why the diving weights have to be soft . I cast sinkers as well as bullets and have used the zinc clip on wheel weights I culled from the mixed wheel weight buckets I get to make sinkers . They work great but are very hard indeed . They would be your best cheap source as they are a pestilence to bullet casters . Ask around and you may find some on this or other shooting forums . They make good slingshot ammo also .

10 Spot
10 Spot Terminator is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL
Junior member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2012
Location: The "Gunshine State"
Posts: 1,981
Find a contractor who either does roofing and get scraps of plumbing flashing or a contractor who does medical office remodeling where they have lead in the walls for the X-ray room - that will be the cheapest; even wheel weights are pretty much gone in favor of zinc (which might work for your purposes anyway)
BigD_in_FL is offline  
Old October 11, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
monoxide
Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2013
Posts: 51
lead shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Spot Terminator View Post
Curious why the diving weights have to be soft . I cast sinkers as well as bullets and have used the zinc clip on wheel weights I culled from the mixed wheel weight buckets I get to make sinkers . They work great but are very hard indeed . They would be your best cheap source as they are a pestilence to bullet casters . Ask around and you may find some on this or other shooting forums . They make good slingshot ammo also .

10 Spot
They don't have to be soft I just don't have a mold to cast them and soft weights will form to my body when in the bc.

My buddy is a plumber ill ask him if he is able to get any thing
monoxide is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08012 seconds with 7 queries