The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Kachok

Speer Deep Curl low speed expansion

I love the accuracy of my Deep Curl bullet but most of my rifles are mild cartridges and Deep Curl bullets only come in heavy for caliber weights. I have seen Deep Curls tested at high speed (2600-2800fps) but not at lower speeds where my 308, 6.5x55, and 7mm-08 would be hitting in the real world (1800-2400fps) are the Deep Curls a versatile low speed killer like the Partition/Interlock or are they too "hard" to give clean kills on thin skinned game at low speed like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw/Swift A-Frame?
I tried contacting Speer about this, but as you would expect their response was as generic and vague as humanly possible.
Anyone have any experience with these bullets?
Old October 8, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2
snuffy

Kachok, I don't think they've been out long enough to get many field reports back.

Plain and simple, most don't do a necropsy of a deer or try to find the bullet to see how it expanded. They're just glad they got some meat or were successful.

I would guess they're every bit as good as say a speer hot core, Hornady interlock, or a Sierra game king, as far as low velocity expansion goes.

I DO know they expand well at 30-06 velocity @ 100 yds. in the bullet-test media. Below is one that I tested from a Springfield 03-A3;

I must not have taken a wide view of the bullet wound path in the wax test media. I have the recovered weight and velocity written down somewhere, I'll try to find it tomorrow. The bullet retained a lot of weight, and penetrated as far as other '06 ammo has in that media. That was the 165 grain deep curl.

Notice how the lead is holding onto the jacket. These are plated bullets, just like the gold dot handgun ammo. Truly a bonded bullet. They're an outgrowth of the Federal fusion bullet.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Last edited by snuffy; October 8, 2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 8, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Kachok

They have been out since 2010 (I think), I have no doubt they perform as intended on thick bodied game at 30-06-300 Win Mag speed I have read several rave reviews from people who have used them in that application. We like to think that as long as our bullets are moving 1800fps they will expand enough to give quick ethical kills but I have found several exceptions to this, some high weight retention bullets will hardly smear the tip even at 2000fps naimly the GMX.
The Deep Curls high speed performance is very similar to the Partition (slightly wider expansion, similar weight retention and slightly less penetration) if they will expand like the Partition down to 1800fps I will be a happy hunter.
Old October 9, 2013, 12:09 AM   #4
snuffy

Kachok, just guessing but I'd bet they'll expand at lower-than 1800 fps. Of course not like those I tested, their terminal speed had to be at least 2400 fps.

I could load some reduced loads in my .308 to simulate low terminal velocity, then shoot one into that test wax. That would give a pretty good indication of what those bullets would do hitting at long range.

Even IF Speer knows about low terminal velocity expansion, their lawyers would tell them to keep shut-up, not give out that info.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 9, 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Kachok

I have no idea why they would have any legal issues posting expansion speed the folks at Nosler do it with everything they make, heck they post it on the box.
If you could do a low speed expansion test that would be awesome, I have done alot of reading online and I have yet to run across any low speed data on the 180gr Deep Curl so you would be breaking new ground. If the DC will make a wide wound down below 2000fps speeds it really will be on par in every way with the legendary Partition.
Old October 9, 2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Kachok

That would be nice since Deep Curls have been a little more accurate for me and cost 1/3 as much.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
snuffy

Kachok, ask and you shall receive!

Speer 165 deep curl @ approximately 1800 fps. Penetration was as follows. It went clear through the test media, it was 11 inches deep/thick. Bullet was caught in another tube filled with rags,(old sweatshirt);

It's obvious that the delivered energy is less, it HAS to be . Wound cavity is less as well.BUT it DID expand!

Weight: 160.4, diameter .630. Now we KNOW!

I found load info using my subscription to load-data-.com. It used IMR 4759 powder, 24.5 grains. I didn't have the chronograph along, too much of a hassle to set it up for one load.

I hope this helps. Glad to do it, I was also curious where the bottom line is for that bullet.