The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
CommissarHark

My first Semi-auto...I live in NJ sadly

Ok so this is an advice thread. I'm planning on buying my first semi-auto within the next couple months and I have a few candidates, the problem, I live in NJ, so I need help picking from my list, based on which will be easiest to have as NJ compliant. I have roughly $1,000 to spend but I'm trying to save some money for magazines and such.

Just for a refresher, only one of the following: pistol grip, telescoping stock, threaded barrel/flash hider/, bayonet mount, grenade launcher, and no more than 15 rounds in the mag.

The List:
-Ruger Mini-14 pros: Not overly expensive, reliable, good round. cons: no 15 round magazines, and the 10 round ones are pricey.

-Ruger Mini-30 pros: I'm a fan of 7.62, same as the mini-14. cons: no 10 round mags, except promag which I'm told suck, correct me if I'm wrong, no 15 round mags.

-JRC (Just Right Carbine) pros: same cost as the Rugers, uses Glock mags, 9mm. cons: 9mm, comes with a telescoping buttstock and 33round mag, so I would basically have to take the stock off and throw both of those items away, in the parking lot of Cabelas or be breaking the law.

-Windham Armory NJ compliant SRC pros: AR-15, lots of ten round mags, cheap ammo. cons: AR-15 carries a stigma in this state among LE, no easy to find 15 rounders, again correct me if I'm wrong.

-Hi-Point Carbine (9mm or .40 s&w) pros: common round, cheap magazines, no adjustments need be made to bring into NJ, cheap but good quality. cons: not pretty, the only 15 rounders are made by pro mag which is supposed to suck, as above correct me if I'm wrong, and not a lot of aftermarket choices for making it fit me more comfortably.

So what do you think? Any advice, comments, or questions welcome, please no argument over best gun or cartridge. You guys have come through for me before I'm hoping you do once again.
Old October 6, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
chris in va

I had a HiPoint carbine. Fun gun, delicate.

After putting 3000 rounds through my AR, I would be absolutely tickled to have another pistol caliber carbine. Looking hard at the Beretta CX4 in 45. Mmm.

Big, fat bullet, available anywhere and might be NJ compliant.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
4EVERM-14

There's no mention of the potential use so any of the rifles listed should fit. The AR platform offers more choices. The AR-15 A2,for instance, without flash suppressor and bayonet lug is used by thousands of N.J.'ers in NRA competitions. Tough choices for N.J. shooters.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 7, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
K96771

I haven't heard of or experienced any stigma toward the AR in NJ. You can get a compliant S&W MP15, and a fair supply of mags and ammo for $1000. I love mine and ARs seem to be the most popular rifle at the range.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

"Just for a refresher, only one of the following: pistol grip, telescoping stock, threaded barrel/flash hider/, bayonet mount, grenade launcher, and no more than 15 rounds in the mag. "

Hmmm. If I'm only allowed one of those features...I have to say that the grenade launcher sounds intriguing.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Boomer58cal

Quote:
Hmmm. If I'm only allowed one of those features...I have to say that the grenade launcher sounds intriguing.
Getting grenades for it is the hard part

Quote:
"Just for a refresher, only one of the following: pistol grip, telescoping stock, threaded barrel/flash hider/, bayonet mount, grenade launcher, and no more than 15 rounds in the mag. "
Most of your options have pistol grips so that could make your decision for you.

What are you going to use this rifle for?

Boomer
Old October 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
RedBowTies88

What about an Ak pattern rifle?

I personally have a .223 saiga that is NJ neutered. but there are several caliber choices.

Where about in NJ are ya? If you're not far you're welcome to check out mine.

Also, the M&p 15 sport is a cheap AR option for NJ. They sell a compliant model.

Kel Tec has some good NJ legal stuff too if you can find them.
Old October 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
CommissarHark

To all: Potential uses are home defense, and target shooting.
@K96771: I was told by a friend he had some bad experience with LE because of an AR-15, might have just been him.
@RedBowTies88: I thought ALL AK pattern rifles were Jersey illegal simply by being AK.
Old October 8, 2013, 01:06 PM   #9
RedBowTies88

Nope that's not true, in fact any AK rifle that doesn't have the words "Kalashnikov" or "AK47" stamped on it is good go as long as it isn't "substantially identical" i.e. 2 evil features.
Old October 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10
RedBowTies88

also, you will definitely get better responses on the "NJ gun forum" then you will here. You should go there and sign up.
Old October 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #11
precision_shooter

Can you no take a 20 or 30 round mag and put a block in the mag so it only holds 15 rounds?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 8, 2013, 01:16 PM   #12
RedBowTies88

If it's "permident" then yes.

However permanent was never really defined. I mean you can take two 7 round 1911 mags and cut and weld them into a 14 round mag. So does that mean they were permanently 7 rounds? well that's something for judge and jury to decide. With the mentality of people in this state you'll be lucky to come out on the good side of that one IMHO.

Now people in this state do use blocked mags it's not super uncommon. The general way is to use a blind pin and weld the floor plate on. Then you can also forget about ever taking the mag apart to clean. Whether or not that qualifies as "permanent" we'll find out after the first test case if you'd like to volunteer.

One more thing, don't plan on going to cabelas and buying a gun with a larger then 15 round mag because they wont sell it to you. Even if they keep the mag. Ask me how I know
Old October 8, 2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Jim243

Quote:
the only 15 rounders are made by pro mag which is supposed to suck
They will screw up your bolt and void your warranty. Nothing wrong with the 10 round mags, cheap ($18.00) from Hi-Point. Just keep the forward grip off.

Jim

Hi-Point 4095.
Old October 8, 2013, 05:57 PM   #14
RedBowTies88

the forward grip is NJ legal as it's not an "evil feature" on anything except handguns.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Jim243

So this is not NJ compliant? Good thing I don't live in NJ (LOL).

It is hard to get grenades even practice ones.

Jim

Old October 8, 2013, 08:37 PM   #16
BoogieMan

@Jim243- Your SKS is legal in NJ. If you added any other features such as a folding stock, removable mag it would not be. The laws are a little odd but not terrible. At least we dont have the bullet button.lol
IMO- there is nothing that the law restricts that are needed with the possible restriction of mags over 15rnds.
@the OP- plenty of AR options, SKS, Garand,etc... If you want 15rnd mags for an AR many gun stores sell pinned (welded pin) 30rnd mags. My LGS has steel pinned to 15rnd for $15.
Old October 9, 2013, 08:56 AM   #17
RedBowTies88

The assault weapons rules don't come into effect until you have a removable magazine so SKS rifles without one are good. The 15 round limit still applies.

SKS rifles with removable magazines are banned by name so even if you were to make it compliant to the 2 evil feature rule you would still be SOL.
Old October 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Grizz12

Quote:
IMO- there is nothing that the law restricts that are needed with the possible restriction of mags over 15rnds.
With all due respect, "needed" is relative. The restrictions in this state are terrible and IMHO they step on the 2nd amendment, criminalize law abiding citizens and have not deterred gun related crime at all.

And yes, I do have plans in motion to leave this state ASAP
Old October 9, 2013, 10:05 AM   #19
RedBowTies88

Quote:

See what we deal with here in NJ? And this guy is a gun owner

What about a semi auto shotgun with a pistol grip?

Semi auto shotgun with more then 6 round capacity?

What about a semi auto handgun that weighs more then 50oz and takes a magazine outside the grip?

What if you want a colt ar-15?

What if you want a Adjustable stock on your Ak so you and your 4'11" wife can shoot the same gun with the same level of comfort?

Oh course we don't "need" any of this stuff.
Old October 9, 2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Boomer58cal

Quote:
It is hard to get grenades even practice ones.
In the early 90's you could get the blue paint rounds for $1 each at the Portland Oregon gun shows. They had a 3-4oz non-lead weight in them to get the trajectory close to standard rounds. The weight would go through a car door at about 25 yards. So much for being dummy rounds.

Boomer
Old October 9, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
raimius

Boogieman, any gun law that restricts the average person with no reduction in violent crime rate or outcomes is a BAD law.

Not having a flash suppressor won't make a murderer rethink their ways. It will annoy people trying to have fun at the range. Same with pistol grips, adjustable stocks, etc, etc.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:30 PM   #22
tomrkba

Since your budget is $1,000 and you're in NJ

M1 Garand from the CMP with a bunch of ammo and clips.

Then you can say "Get off my lawn!" properly.

On the plus side, you get 30-06 power (okay, it's a lighter 30-06) and you get a really good gun that complies with NJ law. There are two bonuses: the iron sights are excellent and you can mount a forward rail.

Last edited by tomrkba; October 9, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:19 AM   #23
BoogieMan

Not to get off subject to much. Fact is that the NJ laws are state laws. States have rights to pass whatever they want as long as the people allow it. I dont like the laws but I have no problem shooting within the laws. So IMO they are not to restrictive. I have left the range several times because I dont feel safe with some of the law abiding gun owners that are there. For me taking some of the bad is far outweighed by the good. Many others disagree. I have lived in PA and NC. I still own property and/or homes in both states. Its true that the NJ laws have done nothing to keep the weapons from criminals. They have done some good to keep weapons from law abiding idiots. Everyone of you has at some point seen someone and thought "man I wish that person wasnt allowed to have a gun". My complaint with the laws in NJ are surrounding self defense.
@the OP- Plenty of available legal SA rifles in NJ. Go to your LGS and pick one.

Last edited by BoogieMan; October 10, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:05 PM   #24
tomrkba

Quote:
Not to get off subject to much. Fact is that the NJ laws are state laws. States have rights to pass whatever they want as long as the people allow it.
No, they have the power to pass laws that comply with their state constitution. Once again, a citizen incorrectly replaces the word "power" with "right".

Here is what is in the NJ constitution:

Quote:
New Jersey Constitution Article I, [1.]

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.
I see how this can be a problem for someone who wants to keep and bear arms. I can also see how this may be manipulated by lawmakers and state judges to mean just about anything. The original documents and arguments of the lawmakers who created it need to be examined to determine what this means. Unfortunately, many court decisions ignore original intent and corruption seems to be a way of life in New Jersey government.

Source: http://www.saf.org/constitutions.html
Old October 12, 2013, 05:05 AM   #25
Homerboy

M1 garand from CMP. You can get a Service Special for the same price as an AR, and they sell 30-06 for 100 bucks per 200 round can, about the same as .223. I have an AR and a Garand and the garand is so much more fun. I don't shoot as often anymore, maybe 400 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo a year. There is nothing like hearing that PING.

Plus it's a real military issued weapon. I look at the dings on the stock of my 1942 issued Springfield and wonder how they got there. Jumping into a foxhole? Liberating a concentration camp? Wish it could talk.