The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Model12Win

Marlin model 60- tube capacity?

Hello all! I just bought me a Marline model 60 from the Wally World here in town. From what I've read in the manual and online in catalogs and other places, this gun is supposed to take 14+1 round of .22 LR. Problem is, my gun will comfortably accept 15+1 rounds of standard-length plain jane Remington lead round nose .22 LR cartridges, accepting 15 round in the tube at once. The only problem with this is the tip of the last loaded cartridge is visible in the loading slot, and when putting the follower tube back into the magazine may tip out of the slot and cause the tube to jam. This is simply remedied by placing a finger in front of the tube to keep that round from tipping out, but otherwise the tube will close and lock into place just fine, and a round can be racked into the chamber equally well.

So I'm just wondering if I should not load 15 rounds into the tube, even though it seems to work just fine. Will this damage my new gun? Thanks!

PS: I really like this new Marlin. I bought it a few days ago for $167 before tax. It's fed everything very well and is accurate. I wouldn't pass this "Wal-Mart special" up if you are interested in one.
Old October 5, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

Hmmm...when did they change capacities? Mine takes 18, but it's a Glenfield from the 60s.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
seanc

The tube capacities vary.

Mine is also labeled as a 14-round capacity but I can fit 15 if I fiddle with it. However, I've found it less aggravating to just go with the 14 rounds. Also, I bought one of those plastic speed loaders and it only holds 14 in each tube.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Hmmm...when did they change capacities? Mine takes 18, but it's a Glenfield from the 60s.
They changed when an anti-human rights state named New Jersey began illegally placing magazine capacity limits on rimfires in the late 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_60
Old October 6, 2013, 03:16 AM   #5
Model12Win

14 or 15 ain't so bad though. I've got it loaded right next to me with 15 rounds of CCI round nose mini-mags (I scored 600 rounds of this at Wal-Mart today- yeah I cheated, what you gonna do about it? ) and I feel pretty secure. It's the only gun I have in the house right now, I own much more effective guns for HD but they're in another state right now.
Old October 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Tom68

I'm with StevieRay, my Glenfield holds 18 if I finesse the follower as you say. I've never worried about damaging the magazine...it never stays loaded for long! Too much fun.
Old October 6, 2013, 02:05 PM   #7
mr.t7024

The older Marlins have a barrel length of 22"'s, the newerones are 19'with a tube to match.

What your doing will not damage the rifle,I do it all the time. The model 60 is my favorite rifle enjoy yours. Cliff
Old October 6, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Arizona Fusilier

Dang, I'm confused now as to which one I have and how many rounds it holds!

It will have to wait till the next time I shoot it; it's buried in the safe. With the (un)availability of .22lr right now, that might be awhile.
Old October 6, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
FireForged

stretching a spring will cause problems and so will compression beyond what its designed for. Will cramming 15 round in a 14 cap tube cause damage? I don't know but you are asking for trouble.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Crazy88Fingers

Re: Marlin model 60- tube capacity?

Overloading the tube may not be good for the spring over time. But then, it probably won't cost a fortune to fix. I'd stick with the recommended 14 rounds.

And I have an old Glenfield with the 18 round capacity. It's an assault weapon in New Jersey. How tube magazines found their way into assault weapon legislation is beyond me.
Old October 7, 2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

Yeah my old school model 60 is an 18 rounder. Super accurate though.

Quote:
I scored 600 rounds of this at Wal-Mart today- yeah I cheated, what you gonna do about it?
I confess I've done the same thing at Cabela's. The Cabelas here in town is connected to the mall so you just buy your limit at the registers on one end of the store, then go back and buy your limit again and check out the registers on the other end of the store.

So sue me. I don't feel bad when there is 5000 rounds on the shelf.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; October 7, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 05:46 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

The one I bought my son was 14+1 and worked flawlessly and was easy for even a 10 year old to load and go through brick after brick (thank God at the time, bricks were $7.99 - $5.99 on sale)
Old October 7, 2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Dang, I'm confused now as to which one I have and how many rounds it holds!

It will have to wait till the next time I shoot it; it's buried in the safe. With the (un)availability of .22lr right now, that might be awhile.
What Cliff said makes perfect sense. Just measure the barrel. If it's 22" well then, happy days!

But either way, it's a great gun!