The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 3, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
DavidB2

.357 ammo cost?

Just got a new Ruger Blackhawk in .357/.38 spc and am having a difficult time finding ammo in the local stores. What I have found is around $37.00 for .357 and $32 for .38 special. That seems very high to me; but I know we are in new times.

Can anyone give me a good target price for both .357 and .38? I just don't want to be "price gouged."

By the way, reloading components are unavailable at my local stores here in SC. So reloading is not an option. Plus, I am active duty military and am getting ready for a cross country move. I just can't pack up all the reloading elements and move every 2-3 years.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
TimSr

Too bad reloading is not an option for you. .38 or .357 run me about $5 box! I was recently forced to buy factory .38 ammo for my concealed carry class, and the cheapest I found was some 158gr FMC for around $25 here in Ohio. Ammo ranges widely in price, and for target shooting, the only thing I'd stay away from is Blazer lead ammo as its pretty filthy.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
g.willikers

Online sellers of reloads are more affordable.
One example is:
http://georgia-arms.com/selectbycaliber-2.aspx
Old October 3, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

.38/.357 is easy-peasy to reload... Adequate Lee components can be at your door in a few days for around $160... Then powder and bullets and primers to start will run @$100. So... @ $250 layout gets you started and it all fits in a smallish cardboard box. If you have some patience and manual ability it's really not a big deal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423...nniversary-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/309...ial-357-magnum

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; October 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 3, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
BigJimP

Retail prices vary all over....so what you can buy it for in the Midwest or the Northwest....isn't really important...or valuable to you, in my opinion / but .357 mag is commonly available in the mid to upper $30's per box ...and .38 spl in the high $20's to low $30's...so I don't think you're being gouged.

In my area....the big gunshows are the place to buy ammo --- and buy it in case lots ( 10 boxes minimum to a flat )...some cases are 20 boxes to a flat..../ and you'll probably save $ 8 - $ 10 a box....
--------------
I reloaded when I was in the service as well. Its easy to break down a single stage press and your components into small durable wooden crates / or even ammo boxes. You and some of your buddies can share components - or sell the primers and powder before you transfer / keep the dies, press and bullets. I used to mount my press to a 2" X 18" plank ...and then clamp it down to a portable workbench --- it worked for a long time.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Webleymkv

If you're not opposed to buying online, this is a good site:

http://www.gunbot.net
Old October 3, 2013, 12:34 PM   #7
lamarw

357 Magnum brass is difficult to find unless someone knows of a source I am unaware of.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Ferretboy

Here in Washington I get a box of 158gr JFP .357 for about $26 a box, $21 for target .38's. try http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=762846 I ordered 250 rounds there and got them cheaper than buying them at the store here even after shipping. Got into reloading myself with a Lee Hand Press so I can keep my reloading small and mobile, everything fits in a box that I keep in my bedroom.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Bullcamp82834

The price of a Dillon press pays for itself pretty fast these days.
Old October 3, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
BigJimP

gunshows in my area ....always have brass available...in .38 spl and .357 mag....

(I reload --- and I have a few cases that split from time to time - especially nickel plated )...but I've got cases that I know I've loaded 15 times or more ...over the last 10 yrs.../ they just seem to have a really long life )...now I'm only loading a 158gr bullet at upper mid range velocities - so maybe that's a difference...

but a few thousand cases ....will probably last a lifetime ( and I shoot at least 4 boxes a week of .357 mag in a variety of guns ) --- have 2 boxes with me this afternoon and a single action revolver...
Old October 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
precision_shooter

That is astronomically high, even in the "new" times. I would say $25-$28/50 is all I would pay... But I reload so don't really bother searching for factory ammo.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 6, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Axelwik

I reloaded when I was in the military - a simple single stage press and the associated tools are not much to pack up and move every couple years. And 38/357 are real easy to reload.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
amd6547

Here in Cleveland, basic 357mag ammo goes for $29.99 a box/50. Just yesterday, I was at my favorite LGS. They had Blazer Brass 158gn JHP, and American Eagle and PMC 158gn JSP...all at $29.99.
I've never shot the PMC, but I have shot the other two. Both are good shooting loads. I buy a box now and then, and am saving the brass. I have a single stage Lee press, but I haven't picked up the dies yet.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Darmog

I started reloading for .38/.357 a couple of months ago. My main concern was space for reloading as I'm in a one bedroom condo atm with no garage. Wife would definitely not allow anything like a reloading bench in the living areas and I wouldn't either since visitors will definitely see it, and I'm not too thrilled about letting anyone know I own guns(cause I live in liberal CA). I went with the Lee Handpress to keep everything compact and portable. I fit almost everything I need to reload 500-1000 rounds of either .38 or .357 in a Sterlite File case I got from Target that measures 15"x10"x11". Only thing I can't fit in there is my cheapo Harbor Freight Sonic Cleaner. Other than that, it's a great setup for me as I can easily hide it, take it with me to the range, or go to a buddy's house to show him how to reload.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Kirby8604

Simple target rounds can be had for $23/box for .38 and $25/box for .357 around here (twin cities, mn). The fancier stuff is more like $32/box.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
Adequate Lee components can be at your door in a few days for around $160...
Cabela's had the Breechlock kit on sale for $99 on the last flier I got ......

....and it does not get any simpler than .38/.357 reloading .....

Buy your powder and primers locally to avoid HAZMAT, your bullets by the 1000 online, and reuse your cases from your factory ammo .....ou should be able to make great ammo for less than 25-30 cents a pop for .357.....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 9, 2013, 03:13 AM   #17
Glock20/460long

That's what I pay a Walmart.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:46 AM   #18
Ryu825

My local gun range is selling reloads of 38sp and 357 mag for 16.50 and 18.50 respectively. I don't reload so to me that's an awesome price especially for the 357
Old October 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
That's what I pay a Walmart
$30/100? For .357Magnum @ Walmart?

Really?

Old October 9, 2013, 07:01 PM   #20
rdmallory

Depends how much you plan on shooting. Save your brass and some places that sell reloads will take it in on trade. If your only going to shoot 200 rounds a year you should be able to find 100 round boxes around $45.

Doug
Old October 11, 2013, 06:54 PM   #21
AID_Admin

It's funny how you explain that you can not do reloading (for whatever reason) and still get a whole bunch of people telling you how wonderful and cheap reloading is. It really makes you feel great to know someone is reloading for $5 per box when you have to pay four times that because you can not reload, isn't it?
Well, I am in the same boat. For my own reasons I can not do reloading for now. And I am on the range every week, sometimes twice per week Here is what I learned.

1. Buying online is cheaper than shopping in local stores. At least where I live. I keep hearing about these wonderful deals in Wal-Mart. May be in some other states. Not in mine, so I always order from online stores. It's easy and most stores ship without signature verification, so you don't have to stay home waiting for a shipment.

2. Buying reloaded ammo is cheaper and should be safe as long as you are using a reputable source. Someone above mentioned Georgia Arms, they are reputable and about the cheapest I can find. But they are also very dirty. At least their "Canned heat" product. To the point that it took me twice as long to clean my gun. I gave up and started buying some ammo from Freedom Munitions. The difference was 31 cents per round vs. 33 cents per round (for 38 Spl), but it's much cleaner.

3. You can and will find a manufactured ammo in boxes from known brands, like Remington, PMC, Federal, etc. as low as 35 cents per round online. You just have to invest some time and hunt. $17 per box for 38 Spl is a price I usually pay online. But when you add shipping it's closer top $18 per box.

4. If you shoot a lot on the range the cost of 357 Magnum will make your wallet lighter. They can be found reloaded at about 37 cents per round, but I am hesitant to buy reloads in magnum, considering their firing power. Normal, manufactured boxes usually start from about $22 - $23 per box for the cheapest stuff. I saw a Pivi for $20 per box a few times and bought a bunch. Now I use mostly 38 Spl and add some 357 in the mix for fun. Save money this way too.

5. And lastly, as someone above already mentioned http://www.gunbot.net is your site to find deals. Not always, but most of the time. Great database...

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for specific sites and stores I use and good luck.

Last edited by AID_Admin; October 11, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old October 12, 2013, 11:25 AM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
357 Magnum brass is difficult to find unless someone knows of a source I am unaware of.
Try here........

http://selahmo.com/brass?cat=8

I just ordered some three days ago, and it showed up in the mail today. 250 pieces for $30. As I type this, they show 9 units of 357mag (brass) in stock.
Old October 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #23
overkill0084

Quote:
Just got a new Ruger Blackhawk in .357/.38 spc and am having a difficult time finding ammo in the local stores. What I have found is around $37.00 for .357 and $32 for .38 special. That seems very high to me; but I know we are in new times.
Yeah, it's high.
Quote:
Can anyone give me a good target price for both .357 and .38? I just don't want to be "price gouged."
There appears to be none around, but something like Blazer ammo (if you can find it) should be around $25 -$30 a box of 50. Premium SD ammo seems a bit over the top. .38 special will often be right around $20ish. Some a bit less, some a bit more...again, if you can find it.
Midway USA is a good place to do price checks. They may not be the cheapest, but you'll typically be in the ballpark.
Quote:
By the way, reloading components are unavailable at my local stores here in SC. So reloading is not an option. Plus, I am active duty military and am getting ready for a cross country move. I just can't pack up all the reloading elements and move every 2-3 years.
Can't or won't?
Reloading gear in a CONUS to CONUS move seems pretty workable if you really wish to. You will have to haul the HAZMAT (Primers & Powder)with you in your POV &/or U-Haul.

The equipment you need will fit in a footlocker or a plastic Rubbermaid storage bin without a lot of effort. Two at most. a couple bins are insignificant in the big picture of a PCS. Your firearms will likely require more effort and thought than a couple bins of reloading equipment.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old October 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
By the way, reloading components are unavailable at my local stores here in SC.
Where are you located? It would seem to me that if there is a market, it'll get served .....

Cabela's is opening stores in Greenville, SC and Augusta, GA ....... before they opened one in LaVista, I used to buy most of my supplies when I passed by the Kearny store on the way to or from somewhere else ......

There's a Bass Pro at Myrtle Beach .....

Quote:
So reloading is not an option.
It is .... it just is not as convenient as factory ammo ...... yes, you''l have to pack up "all that reloading stuff" every 2-3 years ..... and if all you are doing is .38/.357, that will fill a whole two shoe boxes ...... you'll spend far more time packing the dishes and cleaning out the fridge, methinks .....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/624...hand-press-kit

This, a hand priming tool, a set of carbide dies with a dipper, and components is all you need.

For me, Reloading is as much about making what I want so I'll not have to depend on someone else selling it to me ...or not ..... as anything else.

Old October 12, 2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Lost Sheep

Check with your local police department for where they buy their practice/training/qualification ammunition.

Check with local gun stores to see if there are any commercial (licensed, insured and with good reputations) reloaders in your area.

CWKahrFan (post 4) and a few others gave good advice. My entire loading setup (bench press, dies for 7 different calibers, scale and miscellaneous accessories) fits in three toolboxes, the largest of which is 23"x10"x10". Add a folding workbench and I am good to go.

The toolboxes do not contain my tumbler, which is not necessary for good shooting but does makes my brass shiny. Nor does it count powder, bullets, primers, loaded or empty brass. But those things don't occupy that much space and you may not be moving them in a PCS anyway.

Good luck. Thank you for your service to our country.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 12, 2013 at 03:40 PM.