The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 2, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1
MC707

springfield SAR-8 sporter

Hi guys i need help trying to figure this out. my cousin has a rifle and lives outside of california. i live in california. he wants go sell it to me but im having a hard time looking up info on it. Its a Springsfield sar 8 sporter. i know it s the h&k g3 clone but i dont know what i have to do it it to make it cali legal. i dont know if its pre ban, post ban, or whatever dumb ban cali has.

1) on the left side of the receiver it says SAR-8 SPORTOR (the 8 isnt stamped over from a 3). EBO GREECE, MADE IN GREECE. set.#11***

2) on the right side of the receiver it says SAR 8 7.62MM, SPRINGFIELD ARMORY USA, GENESEO, IL

3) it has a pinned suppresser.

4) pistol grip, non folding stock, semi auto, i think its all stock i havent torn it apart, and my cousin doesnt know if the parts have been changed or not.

what do i need to do to try and make it california legal. ie. bullet button and 7 us parts and what not. here are some photos so you know what im looking at. thanks for the help guys. remember its coming to california(hopefully)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/IMG_6953.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/IMG_6952.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/IMG_6950.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...d66a406786.jpg
Old October 3, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Destructo6

Is it a flash suppressor or a sleeved muzzle device that merely covers the muzzle threads?

The SAR8 should have come with a thumbhole stock. In order to eliminate the thumbhole stock, some imported parts should have been eliminated.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3
TATER

Its got everything to do with the year with the bung-hole stock. But, because the same mandate that put the thumbhole on also
forced them to put a pinned Fake flash hider on… I would have to deduce it did come with a thumbhole..
Old October 4, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
MC707

i contacted springfield they said it is a g3 9101 7.62mm made march of 1995. i still dont know where that leaves me. im guessing i have to go with the 922r route?
Old October 4, 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
TATER

If you put a Thumbhole back on you would be fine.. Well, I don't know about Kalifornia. Someone may have already swapped out the parts, does your cousin not know what he has??
Old March 31, 2014, 05:22 PM   #6
MC707

yeah he does. but he doesn't even use it. thats why he asked if i wanted it. i really still don't know what to do if i get it.

which parts do i switch out?

where do i even look to see if its california legal? i can't find it..
Old March 31, 2014, 08:53 PM   #7
hodaka

Move to a civilized state!

Tags
clone , h&k g3 , sar-3 , sar-8 , springfeild