The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 2, 2013, 10:13 PM   #26
DubC-Hicks

I think you'll like the Leapers/UTG sights. The ones I've seen appear to be pretty good quality. Since Leapers started their "Made in the USA" line, the quality of all of their products seem to have improved, even the stuff still made in China. Great budget products.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:40 PM   #27
skizzums

thanks, i'll give you an update next this weekend, hopefully sooner.......
Old October 4, 2013, 11:44 PM   #28
skizzums

Still haven't gotten my sights, but I got to shoot it finally, just used the cheapo scope off my wife's CT9, and I have to say, I've Been turned to the dark side. I love the platform, seriously lightweight and accurate, compact enough for the house. I only put 300-350 rounds of steel tulammo, but not a single jam or fail to feed. No complaints on the poly lower, guess only time will tell. My only complaint is the cheap buttstock, it very loose after positioning and just feels like junk.

While I wait for my sights, I would love advice on a lower priced, but solid stock option. To help steer me in the right direction, please note that I am leaning toward home defense rather than any long range shooting. Thanks
Old October 5, 2013, 07:57 AM   #29
DubC-Hicks

An MOE stock is pretty nice. You can find a used one for a good price. If you want a very solid stock, pick up any of the Magpuls that have the friction lock, like the CTR, STR, ACS. The price is $60-100, but they are very solid, durable stocks that are worth the investment.
Old October 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #30
skizzums

60-100 is fine. how do you feel about those ar-pistol type stocks? just the straight padded rod. is that just a pad put over the buffer tube? is it even a thng or i'm just misunderstanding something I remember seeing?
Old October 5, 2013, 06:17 PM   #31
DubC-Hicks

They are worthless unless you are running a pistol length barrel. And I'm not sure, but I think a lower with the pistol tube has to be registered as a pistol.
Old October 6, 2013, 01:25 PM   #32
skizzums

okay, yeah after looking around, i guess they aren't really used to put in your shoulder, its just a place for the tube on the pistols. i'm steering towards the skeletonized. i think they look the best and the least bulk.
Old October 6, 2013, 02:52 PM   #33
ripnbst

magpul "airsoft" mbus

The ACE skeletonize stocks are the most durable most solid stocks out there but they are fixed length so take that into account.

I advise getting one of the Vltor stocks over a Magpul MOE. They are solid and the cheek weld on them is much better.
Old October 6, 2013, 04:42 PM   #34
DubC-Hicks

I love the Magpul STR. Great cheek weld and a friction lock. And you can still keep the adjustability. It's all personal preference though.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #35
skizzums

def going skeletonized, like the ace, looks good, good price, pretty much exactly where my adjustable is set at.

p.s. went out today and put another 300 through it, no jams, no prblems, so 500 rounds down and my polymer lower hasn't exploded yet.......
Old October 11, 2013, 01:51 AM   #36
Justice06RR

Just to clarify, you have the ATI/Omni poly lower right? I've owned one in the past and had no issues with it, although I did not even shoot more than 100rds through that lower because of the ammo shortage. I bought it in Dec2012 intending to use it on a lightweight build that I never completed. But I would have to say that the ATI poly lower is the best one out of all the other polymer lowers out there.

Also, what upper are you using?
Old October 12, 2013, 04:04 PM   #37
Darker Loaf

RE Magpul Airsoft Sights

This is going to sound snotty, but I've relegated my real MBUS for airsoft only, so no way I'd recommend airsoft ones. Just take that money and put that towards a good set of metal irons. The real MBUS are plastic, and I over-tightened the nuts that hold it on the pic rail, and the nuts will just spin in the plastic housing, stripping it. So, I've swapped them out and thrown them on my airsoft gun as... BUS. I still prefer a red dot on my airsoft gun over the MBUS, too. I'd go with any kind of metal sight. I prefer Troys, personally.

Even my Rock River irons seem shoddily made. But I'm a picky dude.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:06 PM   #38
Darker Loaf

On buttstocks, all adjustable buttstocks will wiggle. None of them are "rock solid" as people like to claim, even Magpul CTRs wiggle. The ACE stock is probably the way to go if you want minimal and no wiggle at all. Or a fixed magpul stock could be pretty cool: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG481/181
Old October 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #39
skizzums

hey justice06, it is an ATI/Omni Gen2 lower. i dont know the diff between the gen 1 and gen 2, except this says gen2 under omni and says multi-cal. not sure if the gen 1's were the same. it's a head-down upper, from a place local to me in dallas Georgia. nice guys, i believe they used to be C-3 but they split off and started this one.
Old October 20, 2013, 08:35 PM   #40
skizzums

;ove the sights btw, they are really nice quality and finish. very tight and sturdy controls, held zero through several hundred rounds of various ammo's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utg1.jpg (238.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg utg2.jpg (242.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg utg3.jpg (242.5 KB, 13 views)
Old October 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #41
zukiphile

Your rear sight is backward.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #42
skizzums

that's funny. i thought it was strange the the front tie down was on the other side. you mean i have to sight this thing in AGAIN!! damn
Old October 21, 2013, 04:34 PM   #43
skizzums

wow....that makes so much more sense now. it contours to the back of the rail. i'm uber embarrased.....i did mention i have never owned an ar right?
Old October 22, 2013, 07:03 AM   #44
zukiphile

Better here than at the range.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #45
Fishbed77

Just be glad your error was caught here rather than at some site like m4carbine.net. Those guys would have crucified you!
Old October 24, 2013, 01:16 PM   #46
marine6680

The guys on that site are quite unpleasant to new people and anyone who doesn't buy from their approved list of makers.
Old October 27, 2013, 11:03 PM   #47
skizzums

luckily i dont go to a range, or i def woulda been busted. still worked either way though, but def freed up needed room. i remember loking at it when i got it, i put it nackwards because it made sense that i would look through the concave side of the sight, that was just my logic. why is the window concave on one side?
Old October 27, 2013, 11:10 PM   #48
DubC-Hicks

I think it'll let light through the hole better.
Old October 27, 2013, 11:12 PM   #49
skizzums

makes sense i reckon
Old October 27, 2013, 11:13 PM   #50
DubC-Hicks

It makes sense as long as I don't think about it too hard and confuse myself.