The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1
igolfat8

What single stack 9mm for CCW?

Looking for a small-ish single stack 9 for CCW. Price is a factor so the lower cost the better, within reason. No Saturday night specials but something DEPENDABLE in the $325 or less range is the target.

Last edited by igolfat8; February 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

That's just a little low. I would suggest saving an extra week or two and spend the money on something like the M&P Shield. I have seen them as low as $349

Kahr CW9 is decent and can be had for around $350 as well.

Ruger LC9's are known to be fairly reliable but with a pretty terrible trigger. No experience with that one myself. They are also around $350 usually.

For the price point, the M&P Shield is a heck of a gun. One of the better triggers in the category and very robust and reliable.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:31 PM   #3
michael t

My PF- 9 has fired over 500 trouble free rounds I stay with the 115 gr or around that range. I don't see reason for the 147 in this small light pistol.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old February 8, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Radarcontact

The SCCY is getting great reviews and it's made in Daytona Beach, Fl.

It's less than $250, easily concealable, and there's already a laser custom made for it.
(Gunloot.com has the gun, DeSantis leather holster, and ArmaLaser trigger guard all for $355 delivered.)
http://www.gunloot.com/sccy-cpx2-cb-package/
Old February 9, 2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Pukindog12

Kahr CW9. IMO one of the best CCW 9mm options out there. If one is patient they can be found used for $325 with a couple of mags.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:11 AM   #6
jimbob24

Outta curiosity, I know curiosity killed the cat but I've heard they have nine lives, anyway... Why do you only want single stack? In your price range you could score a great deal on a used 9mm. But why reduce yourself to ss only? Not poking or being rude just curious. You could double the capacity in your 9mm price range
Old February 9, 2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Fishbed77

I paid $327 out-the-door for my Kahr CM9 (it was on sale). It's been an extremely reliable little 9mm that's also a very good shooter. You'd be hard-pressed to beat it at that price range (or even for a few hundred more).
Old February 9, 2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Ibmikey

Sig 938, with a extended mag and G10 grips, easy shooting with that combination and super concealable as it is only slightly larger than a P 238 in .380. Someone mentioned the SCCY which is double stack but the same size as a P 938 but a bit wider. Actually a nice shooter if you get the one without the safety (the web of your hand will thank you) and inexpensive compared to the Sig.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:33 AM   #9
9x19

There aren't a lot of options for $325 or less. I had good service from the Kel-Tec PF9 mentioned above, but they are not the most comfortable pistol to shoot.

Today my wife and I both carry a Bersa BP9CC . No issues with either pistol, great trigger and good sights, and more comfortable for us in extended range sessions. Mine (black finish) was $379, hers (Nickel finish) was $399.

Good luck with your search.

Mine

Last edited by 9x19; February 9, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old February 9, 2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Sig 938
If you know where to get a P938 for $325 please share.. I'll buy 10 of them.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:05 AM   #11
igolfat8

"Outta curiosity, I know curiosity killed the cat but I've heard they have nine lives, anyway... Why do you only want single stack? In your price range you could score a great deal on a used 9mm. But why reduce yourself to ss only? Not poking or being rude just curious. You could double the capacity in your 9mm price range "

This thread is actually for my adult son. He has a G23 now and its too uncomfortable in width for him to carry. He borrowed my Taurus .380 and liked the size and width much better but he wants a 9mm and not a .380. Personally, I like to carry a .380 and find that I carry it much more than my G27. Thanks for the positive support of Kahrs and I hope he considers them too.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:36 AM   #12
majikpwr

Quote:
The SCCY is getting great reviews and it's made in Daytona Beach, Fl.
I also read that the SCCY reviews were good, until I went on one of their forums. All kinds of issues backwards springs in mags from the factory? Not chambering rounds. Took my friends brand new 9mm to the range..couldn't even get it to chamber one round. Took it straight back to the dealer. It is still sitting there after a week and she hasn't heard anything yet about what was wrong with it.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:55 PM   #13
pat701

IMHO, you get what you pay for. Good luck, hope you never "need" a cheapie pistol to defend your life
Old February 9, 2014, 03:14 PM   #14
igolfat8

Pat,
I agree, on all points, 110%!
Old February 9, 2014, 03:20 PM   #15
chaim

In that price range I'd probably buy a Taurus 709. I have a Kel Tec Pf-9, but it has had a few minor hiccups (could probably benefit from the "fluff and buff" many Kel Tecs need, they are usually fine after). If you are handy (or your son if it is for him) and don't mind doing a little "fluff and buff" the Kel Tec is a good gun and will leave enough extra in the budget for an extra box or two of ammo. If the budget can be stretched just a little (like the cost of one or two boxes of ammo), I would take a close look at the Ruger LC9 as well. Actually, there is a good chance I'll eventually trade my Pf-9 on either a Taurus 709 or the Ruger LC9, so those would be my top choices in or near your stated price range.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Joe_Pike

Try and find a used Kahr CM9. Very small single stack. It's roughly $399 new, so, used you should be able to get close to your target price.
Old February 9, 2014, 06:57 PM   #17
Bay Mule 45

I've owned and shot the Ruger LC9 and the Kahr CW9. Both purchased near the $350.00 mark. Ruger was accurate and easy to conceal; but the trigger felt like an old Colt DA. The CW9 Kahr showed better accuracy 2" at 50ft, mostly due to the smoother, shorter travel trigger IMHO, I now carry the Kahr CW45 which uses the standard 45 1911 magazine and I love this gun.

Whatever you purchase: save some money back for practice ammo. Put a coupla hundred practice rounds through the piece before you carry it for SD.
Old February 9, 2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Ruger LC9's are known to be fairly reliable but with a pretty terrible trigger. No experience with that one myself. They are also around $350 usually.
Decent gun. Seems to be accurate and reliable. Trigger ain't great but I've seen worse (I'm looking at you S&W Sigma). Ruger has great customer service too so for the price, a Ruger is a good option.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:07 PM   #19
Kevin_d77

Shields are going for $349 right now. They're pretty tough to beat at that price point. Easy to conceal and you can still shoot them all day long without a painful hand.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:27 PM   #20
David spargenator

Get a used gun. Probably a used shield would be the goal. Not sure what they go for used. But new they're about 400
Old February 10, 2014, 09:09 AM   #21
kalevatom

My wife traded her LC9 for a M&P Shield. Very nice! She likes the size for carry over her M&P 40 compact (bed side gun). She had to wait a month for it to come in.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:35 AM   #22
Ibmikey

Uncle, I obviously missed the price range in my brain when responding as the Sig 938 is double what the OP wishes to pay but if it is a defense weapon price is the last thing I would concern myself with. I have the P938 and P238 both of which are 100% reliable, concealable and easy shooters.
The SCCY was payment for some ammo a dealer needed and I had, as a safety encrusted gun I would not shoot more than a shot from it before throwing in a drawer, it is that uncomfortable. An email (answered the same day) to CS resulted in a complete frame without the safety (CPX 2 vs CPX 1 with safety) after a ten minute change I ran two mags through it without incident. Accuracy was ok for just shooting a dirt clod (or bad guy) on paper it may be better. Point is: this inexpensive pistol may just be the ticket (Without safety) for someone unwilling to pay a higher price. Just a note, the pistol is DAO and the safety is an unnecessary piece of fluff. Will I carry the SCCY ? No, I have a bunch of pistols that fill that nitch but I am sure it will begin life as a truck gun after another 100 rounds or so have gone down the pipe.
Wow! Spent more time on the inexpensive pistol than the expensive one but I guess that was the original theme.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:44 AM   #23
Clipper

Kahrs are garbage, steep feed ramps make them unreliable with different brands of JHP ammo (and even FMJ's), the polymer isn't FRN/fiberglass reinforced - for strength like most polymer guns are. The only Kahr I've seen that can reliably chamber any JHP was the CW45 BUT... the MIM barrels on the 'CW'/economy pistols is spotty in quality, I've seen pits/missing chunks of steel on the barrel lands (cheaply made). Magwell isn't bevelled at all. And the extremely long/delayed trigger reset isn't practical for combat or self defense... it takes away the best part of a semi-auto pistol: The Fast SA Trigger. If you want a long double action just get an all steel S&W revolver and skip the plastic toys.

Last edited by Clipper; February 10, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:07 AM   #24
Officer's Match

Beg to disagree clipper. Steep feed ramps? There isn't a tilting barrel semi-auto I'm aware of that has a lower bore axis to magazine/top round. Mine have functioned perfectly after a hand-cycle break in of a hundred or so repetitions (I choose to do that with any new semi-auto before actual firing).
Old February 10, 2014, 11:23 AM   #25
Fishbed77

Beware - there is a whole lot of misinformation in Clipper's post.

Quote:
Kahrs are garbage, steep feed ramps make them unreliable with different brands of JHP ammo (and even FMJ's),
Every Kahr I have experience with (CM9, PM9, MK9, CW9, P9) has fed JHP ammo perfectly.

Quote:
the polymer isn't FRN/fiberglass reinforced - for strength like most polymer guns are.
Neither is Glock's polymer frame:

http://us.glock.com/products/technology

Quote:
the MIM barrels on the 'CW'/economy pistols is spotty in quality, I've seen pits/missing chunks of steel on the barrel lands (cheaply made).
The barrels of the CW/CM pistols are not MIM parts. He is possibly thinking about the slide stop, which has not been an issue of note.

Quote:
Magwell isn't bevelled at all.
It isn't, but considering the slimness of the grip, it's probably just not possible.

Quote:
And the extremely long/delayed trigger reset isn't practical for combat or self defense... it takes away the best part of a semi-auto pistol: The Fast SA Trigger. If you want a long double action just get an all steel S&W revolver and skip the plastic toys.
It's proven practical for double-action revolvers for over 100 years. A Kahr trigger simulates a double-action revolver, but is much smoother than most. A light, short single-action trigger with no manual safety is the last thing many owners want on a concealed defensive pistol.

There are many other benefits of a semi-auto pistol beyond trigger function, including a slimmer profile, greater capacity, and faster reloading.

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM.