The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
4D5

New 586-3 nickel bad hand

I finally got a chance to completely disassemble the S&W M586-3 nickel I picked up a couple weeks ago. It had the usual dried grease and gunk.

However, I was not expecting to find the hand (or use to be hand) in the condition shown in the pictures below. I’ve see some stuff that wasn’t very good before and could be fixed with minor work. But bubba could brag he does better work than this.

The pin had been peened over on the opposite side of the hand, but I was able to drive it out with a small hammer and punch.

Fortunately the window appeared to be widened evenly and not butchered. I had a spare oversized hand that fit perfectly without any adjustment. Guess that was the good luck part.

I put it all back together and everything checked out ok. I’ll take it out for a thorough test drive later this next week.

Old October 8, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I find it interesting that a 586 would have stainless parts inside (identified by the "S" stamped on them).

This is all way outside my area of expertise. Just an interesting observation I made.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
I find it interesting that a 586 would have stainless parts inside (identified by the "S" stamped on them).
Might not be original to the gun.