The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 26, 2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Kimbercommander

Well if i misinformed anyone my bad and im sorry. I was just stating what the savage rep told me when i had to send my rifle back to them for work.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:24 PM   #27
Shriner81

Well for anyone still following this I figured I'd update you all and let you know I managed to fill my bull tag this year, shot a decent 5x5 bull on the last day of the season, after 5 long days of hunting and riding a bike on all the closed back roads I could find I came open a clearing with some elk off in the distance, settled in, ranged them at 535 yards, read a slight breeze and spotted the larger of 3 bulls, took aim and let one fly, shot hit slightly higher than I was aiming but double lunged the bull and he stood in his tracks, I almost thought I had missed and was preparing for a second shot when the bull fell over. I can't figure out how to share pictures through a mobile device on here otherwise I'd show you guys. Overall successful hunt, and was happy with the shot I got.
Old January 28, 2014, 07:05 PM   #28
shooterfpga

Sounds good shriner. What round were you using? Custom load or factory?
Old January 28, 2014, 08:20 PM   #29
Shriner81

I used some Remington factory ammo with a 168 grain barnes xlc bullet, dropped it in it's tracks, through and through with a good amount of damage. Very accurate round as well, tested it out to 800 before the season with good results.