The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 20, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

NY state of mind; Florida non-resident ? RE: training....

My friend(yes it's a real person, ), who lives in New York is looking into a Florida non resident concealed weapon license.
He took a New York gun permit class/training course(a required class to get a new permit).
I checked with the Div of Licensing & they said a NY resident can use this required class to be the Florida firearm training requirement for a non-resident carry license.

Any forum members from the Empire State ever use the NY gun class for other states training requirements?

PM me if you want to keep any details private.

Thank You;
Clyde
Old September 22, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
9ballbilly

I moved from NY to Florida a year ago. Prior to relocating I got a Florida Non-resident CCW. Since my NYS permit was issued in 1987 I didn't try to use the training class from back then. Truth is, I didn't even think of it. I just took the NRA basic pistol class offered at the local range, and had a great time. Used that certification to meet Florida's training requirement. That said, The class required for a NYS permit is pretty comprehensive and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't meet the standard for a Florida CCW.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
DaveTrig

Florida will accept a training certificate from any class given by an NRA or state licensed instructor.

They'll even accept a Hunter Safety training certificate.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

New question...

My NY friend asked a new ? too.
If a Florida non resident concealed license holder/W can purchase handguns in Florida?
Id say no but if they have a W license & a valid driver's license(from any state) they might be able to buy guns.

Clyde
Old September 23, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If a Florida non resident concealed license holder/W can purchase handguns in Florida?
Not directly. The gun would have to be shipped to New York, and the transfer would have to go through a dealer there. The dealer in Florida may not know whether the gun is legal in New York, so buyer beware.

The question wasn't asked, but I'll put it out there: the Florida non-resident permit is not honored in New York. Your friend could get in a great deal of trouble assuming such.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Correct....

I explained to him already that a Florida non-resident license(W) would not be valid in either New York or PA but he could CC in a few other places.
His NY handgun license is not for CC just for owning/possession. To my limited knowledge he could travel/check in with the firearm(s) & not violate NY's strict gun laws if he was a traveler.

The federal inter-state gun laws seem complex too for a non-license holder. That's why Im always looking at www.handgunlaw.us . I also advise regular travelers/tourists who own firearms to get a recent Gun Law Guide For Travelers; www.gunlawguide.com .

Clyde