The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Are the "No Gun" signs coming down where you live?
Yes 16 23.53%
No 9 13.24%
About the same 37 54.41%
Don't live in a carry state 6 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Are the No Gun signs coming down where you live?

Are the No Gun signs coming down where you live?

I noticed several places that use to have them or were listed on the do not patronize section on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry website http://ohioccw.org/ have been removed?!

Several gas stations (of whom I won't mention the name) who are real big here no longer have them. As well as many restaurants and Department stores.

CC has been legal here for a while now and I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old September 19, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
jimbob86

When our Carry law first passed, signs went up on businesses everywhere, and every little tinhorn town board posted all the public property they could ........

When the predicted "Blood in the Streets" did not happen, a few came down ..... with much work by the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association members, letter writing campaigns, "No Guns=No Money" cards, and legislative efforts (Pre-emption of local ordinances added!) more came down .......

In some cases, businesses that were vehemently Anti-gun were bought out by more 2A friendly companies (Marcus Theaters bought the major local chain, and the signs came down the next day) ......

Yes, they are coming down. Slowly. Surely.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old September 19, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Old Stony

I grew up in western Nebraska,and I sure would hate to see them follow along with any of the Colorado politics. Here in Texas you seldom see a no gun sign and our politicians are for the most part trying to loosen up things more.
Old September 19, 2013, 09:12 PM   #4
psyfly

I haven't voted because I live in Texas, as well, and had a hard time thinking of when/where I saw a "no guns" sign.

Then I remembered that our Goodwill stores used to have them but they disappeared a year or so ago. So, I'll vote yes.

Will
Old September 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
WyMark

The only place I've ever seen any around here is at gun shows.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Technosavant

When our law passed a few years ago, there were many places that put signs up pretty much immediately. Some came down immediately... methinks the local manager didn't check with corporate first.

Over time, others came down. Not all, but a surprising number. One large regional grocery chain that had taken an active role in trying to defeat CCW and had posted all stores pulled their signs down about a year or so ago as well- they realized that it wasn't the problem they'd feared and was actually costing them business.

There's still some categories of businesses that are more likely than not to be posted- banks, shopping malls, and movie theaters. Some convenience stores, but even those seem to be dropping off and removing signs. As more people get their CCW permits and carry, many places are realizing that they're basically telling more and more people that their business is not desired. In these economic times you can't afford to do that.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
2ndsojourn

NJ is basically a 'no carry' state. The other week I went into a new local Verizon store and the signage on the entry doors includes 'No Firearms'. That's the only place I've seen anything about carrying in commercial establishments around here.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:46 AM   #8
manta49

No its not a sign I have ever seen in this part of the UK.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Lordy123

Our CCW law is fairly new in WI, I voted about the same because I know of a few stores where they have come down, but the then I see more corporations adding signs to prevent their employees from carrying in the office.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Don't see any signs at all where I live, not that it would matter a whole lot.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:55 AM   #11
TailGator

I have gone from zero to zero, so I didn't vote.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Very few No Gun signs are posted around here. In fact, I went through a drive-thru the other day and noticed a sign that read:
Quote:
Firearms welcome. Please keep all weapons holstered unless need arises, in which case judicious marksmanship is appreciated.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 20, 2013, 10:10 AM   #13
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyfly
...I live in Texas, as well, and had a hard time thinking of when/where I saw a "no guns" sign.
Me too. When I lived in Dallas, I would see the occasional generic "no firearms" signs from time to time, maybe the "gun buster" type. These don't carry the force of law with regards to CHL holders.

As far as the legitimate 30.06 signs go, I can recall three. An outdoorsy place at Mockingbird and Central Expressway had one. Think Whole Foods (who only had the generic sign, BTW) meets a scaled down REI. An upscale hotel in uptown, where a friend got us an employee rate for a wedding gift, and a nursing home down Waco way where my grandmother was recuperating after a surgery.

51% signs where appropriate, as it is a felony to carry in a bar down here. Of course the one I encountered most didn't apply to me, as I was the manager. I could, and did, carry there.

Where I live now is more of a medium semi rural feeling town, and I don't think anyone out this way would put one up. Doesn't seem to be how it works out this way. In fact, in response to the Starbucks request, a breakfast/lunch place on the square posted to FB that license holders are encouraged to exercise their rights in the joint. Lots of cowboy hats out this way...

Unfortunately, my new job has a "no weapons" policy for employees. There are no signs posted with regards to customers, however.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:21 AM   #14
BarryLee

Although I occasionally see them they’re not too prevalent here in Georgia. The bank I use was recently refurbished which included new signage and they no longer have no gun stickers on the door, but not sure this was a philosophical change or just an oversight.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Coyote Blue

Since October,2011 when the Florida Legislature tightened up pre emption by fining local politicians $5,000 per offense for illegal no gun signs at parks,beaches,libraries,etc.,the signs have come down.

Money out of pocket is one thing they do understand. Other states are taking note.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old September 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
KMAX

Quote:
Where I live now is more of a medium semi rural feeling town, and I don't think anyone out this way would put one up.
Same here and not too far away. I see a sign here and there, but not many, about unlicensed possession of a firearm, have not seen any legitimate no gun signs in town. I think I know where there is one gun buster sticker on a store window but it is low and behind a desk / counter that was placed there after the sticker was applied. The sticker is probably just too hard to reach to peel it off.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 20, 2013, 04:15 PM   #17
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX
...unlicensed possession of a firearm
That would be the "blue" sign. If you have a liquor license for off premise (liquor store or grocery/convenience store that sells beer and/or wine) or on premise but less than half of your revenue is alcohol sales, the TABC requires this sign be posted. If you have a CHL, this sign means nothing to you, hence "unlicensed". If more than half of revenue is generated from sales for on premise consumption (i.e. a bar) then the "red" 51% sign is required to be posted. It is a felony to carry on the premises.

You probably know all this, I included it for the edification of those who don't.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:45 PM   #18
KMAX

9mmFan: Excellent reply. I did not mean to imply that the blue signs are not legit. They are. You explained the situation far better than I even thought about.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 20, 2013, 06:23 PM   #19
POKEYJOE04

My bank has a No Open Carry sign on the door, so ccw must be ok.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Cowboy_mo

In Missouri

The CCW law specifies certain places such as gov't buildings, schools, etc where ccw is NOT allowed and to violate on those premises is a Felony and conviction will cost you your CCW.

As far as private businesses, the sign is considered like the old "no shoes, no shirts, no service" and if you are seen carrying in them and asked to leave, it is a "my bad" didn't see the sign and leave, no worries. Also the law specifies the size of the sign and the wording to be considered official notice under the law.

Early on there were a lot of offices (my insurance agent for example) who knee jerked and posted the premises. I have noticed that a lot of these signs have disappeared. As someone mentioned earlier, one of the St. Louis area grocery chains posted early on but removed the signs about a year later after losing a lot of business.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:56 PM   #21
Andy Blozinski

Texas has specific legal signage to ban concealed carry. I've only seen it three times. Where I work, at the last gun show I went to and a third place I've forgotten. The bars around here are actually pretty slack about putting up their 51% signs. I'm still weirded out that banks aren't a default banned place in the law. It's not that I have a problem with the concept of carrying there, but it's that I would expect them to freak out at potential bank robbers with anyone coming in with a weapon.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:40 AM   #22
Salmoneye

I have never seen a 'No Guns' sign here...
Old September 21, 2013, 07:49 AM   #23
grizz223

The only no gun sign I can think of is at our local theater. The funny part is it's the size of a postage stamp.I think people violate it everyday of the week. The same theater hires us as security to basicaly just stand there armed and look intimating. We sometimes break up a fight or two but that's about it. Great use of a uniformed Deputy but it's extra pay.
Old September 21, 2013, 08:07 AM   #24
ClydeFrog

New laws, CCW....

My state passed new laws/statues that clearly say local cities/towns/counties can not put out anti-gun(2A carry) or "no weapons" signs/displays.
This is a big + for many CC license holders in the state(to include tourists with valid CCW licenses from other areas).
NO GUNS signs are not that common but I have seen a few shops & places that are normal places for teens/young adults to congregate or shop that state: no illegal or unauthorized weapons or drugs.

That to me, just sounds like a civil liability point more than a public safety or homeland security issue.
I, too have seen a few public offices & private businesses with printed signs so small, 98/99% of employees or visitors would ignore them.

As a security officer, I can tell you honestly that some people as so vapid or unaware of there surroundings that signs or warnings are meaningless.
I've caught people in secured areas covered with yellow or orange warning signs/tape who are totally clueless.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:50 PM   #25
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski
...at the last gun show I went to...
Oh, yeah. Forgot about the gun shows. There is some debate as to whether these signs are enforceable, as all the shows I've been to were on property owned by a municipality, but I would just as soon not be the test case. Sure get swept a lot at gun shows, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski
The bars around here are actually pretty slack about putting up their 51% signs.
TABC would have something to say about that. There is a host of signs you are required to post. 51%, pregnant women shouldn't drink(lady's AND men's room), human trafficking(!). Your liquor license can be revoked for knowingly allowing someone to carry on the premises, except for the license holder/employee of same who oversees the operation of the business and of course law enforcement.

For the CHL holder, it is a defense to prosecution (read: you might beat the rap, but not the ride) if the sign is not posted. Of course I can think of two places off the top of my head that I sure would have thought qualified as bars, but according to their license didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX
9mmFan: Excellent reply. I did not mean to imply that the blue signs are not legit. They are. You explained the situation far better than I even thought about.
Thank you. This is one area where I can occasionally be useful I managed a bar for quite some time and tried very hard to understand the laws, though I will point out that I am not a lawyer.