The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 18, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Venom1956

Issue with SAM7SF rifle safety.

Hey guys my friend just bought an SAM7SF today and was really happy with it with one exception.

The rifles safety can be forced up past the top cover if the rifle is cycled while the safety is on. There by jamming up the safety, bolt and pretty much everything else. Which is extremely surprising considering the price tag of this gun.

The only solution i can think of is replacing the smooth top cover with one similar to this

that will fit over and around the safety preventing it from going up from the charging handle. Only problem is I don't know if I can find one that will fit a Bulgarian milled receiver.

He will be contacting Arsenal regardless but I just wanted to see if this was a known issue or not.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
tahunua001

so let me get this straight... you are cycling the weapon while safety is on? in other words the weapon is firing while safety is on?
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 18, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I think what he's saying is that if you pull back on the charging handle with the safety on, it jams the safety lever upward instead of the safety lever blocking the charging handle from moving fully rearward.
Old September 19, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Venom1956

Yep johnska nailed it. I am unsure about it being able to fire since everything is jammed up @ that point the bot is locked back jammed to the safety but upon unjamming it I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a slamfire happening. I am trying to get pics.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old September 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Darker Loaf

I am the Unfortunate Individual w/ the faulty SAM7-SF

So, yeah, it's a weird malfunction. I really hope it's just a new top-cover that I need. I really like the gun otherwise and hope this problem can be resolved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (4).jpg (210.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg image (5).jpg (213.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg photo (18).jpg (215.5 KB, 28 views)
Old September 19, 2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Darker Loaf

SAM7-SF = sads

I have video, too, but apparently you can't post video to tfl forums.
Old September 19, 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Darker Loaf

I just contacted Arsenal.

I just contacted Arsenal, and I was pretty impressed that I got an alert human being on the phone right away. Sounds like they'll just have me send it in.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Darker Loaf

Arsenal sent my gun back... in the same condition: broken

Yup. This is the third time I've had this problem with manufacturers (almost forth if you include Ruger but I chose to send it right into a custom shop instead--wishing I had done that this time). I'll document the issue, this time with pictures and video, and send it in.

And...

I'll get the gun back with NO change. Nothing done. I had it happen with EAA and with KWA (airsoft manufacturer--except I went further and sent the gun back to them again, also broken/not fixed after the second time I sent it in).

What should I do? Send it back into Arsenal for more tears and heartache? Or just skip the middle man and send it to a custom shop?
Old October 10, 2013, 09:16 PM   #9
plouffedaddy

Honestly the first thing I'd do is try a different safety; preferably one with the top of it angled in (if you look at pictures of different AK safeties you'll see what I'm talking about, sorry I don't have one on file....). If that doesn't work the top cover is next. If that doesn't work I'd modify the existing safety to prevent it from coming up.

Unfortunately I have experience with Arsenal CS and it's terrible--I wouldn't send anything to them again...
Old October 11, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Darker Loaf

RE Ploufedaddy

Thanks for your advice. Fyi, Arsenal already replaced the safety once.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:12 AM   #11
Darker Loaf

Ploufedaddy, so Arsenal blows for customer service? Then what shop should I send it to? I'd like to get cerakoting and threading done in addition to my fixes.

I'm thinking that a krebs safety and a http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html top cover would solve my problems. The notch in the krebs and the the over hang in the top cover should prevent my gun from doing what it was doing. Right?
Old March 6, 2014, 03:18 AM   #12
daveless

any updates?