The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
histed

What's wrong with Taurus?

As I read the various threads here, it appears that Taurus get cut down quite a bit. Often, however, the comment is hard to decipher in the context, so I ask "What's wrong with Taurus"? I am totally serious and looking for serious answers. Please keep the snide comments to yourself. Taurus is inexpensive and I like the feel of several of their autos. Mostly I shoot wheelies, but in the current political climate I have developed a desire for more than six rounds at a time. Thanks in advance for useful information.
Old September 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Doyle

Sometimes nothing. Other times everything. It seems to be a luck-of-the-draw situation.

Here is my opinion:

If you send 100 people to buy 100 S&W or Ruger pistols exactly alike, maybe 2 or 3 would have some kind of issue that requied either the dealer or factory to fix. Of those those that required warranty work, they would come back and function normally.

If you send 100 people to buy 100 exactly the same Taurus, perhaps a dozen would have issues. Of those dozen, perhaps half would come back and function normally. The other half dozen would need to go back for a 2nd round. Of the 2nd round, perhaps half of those would come back and function normally. The other half would never function right regardless of how many times it went back.

Of course, these numbers are my own guestimate but that seems to be the pattern I've noticed over the years - there are guns that Taurus never gets to working right. You won't have that problem with S&W or Ruger.
Old September 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
mrray13

I'd say one of the biggest issues that I've seen here is their customer service. Seems like it can leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Also, seems like quality control is hit and miss. Maybe a bit moreso then other brands.

I can say this, my wife owned a 9mm 24/7, and left a lot to be desired. First thing wrong was front sight fell out from shooting. Easy fix with a bit of blue Loc Tite. Seemed odd how loose it fit into the dovetail, everything else I owned needs a pusher. The Taurus would simply slide in or out. Second, accuracy was appalling. It was all over the place, no matter who was shooting it. Or distance. Lastly, the trigger was terrible. Mushy, long and reset was non existent as far as feeling it goes. Just a bad pistol all the way around, it made good trade material for her gen 4 Glock 17.

Others have had good luck with them. The Judge Public Defender I have shot was surprising accurate. Actually liked it. And that pretty much sums it up, lol. This one works, that one don't and if you send that one to Taurus, it might come back worse, if and when it gets done.

And that's what is wrong with Taurus.
Old September 18, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Pahoo

It's usually, in the details.

Taurus quality can be iffy, I guess I would say that it's in the details. There is always a chance you will find something wrong and it's too bad as they also do so many things right. I can only relate the problems I have encountered. Even in their occasional problems, they are not consistent. I've had problems with their 94's and then the next guy is just fine. ....
I would add that I have never had an issue with their customer service. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old September 18, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Psychedelic Bang

Its hard to say if anything is really wrong with Taurus. On the web forums, they are bashed a lot; I can totally understand somebodies apprehension to purchase a Taurus when listening to this banter. I must say, that I myself have seen my view of Taurus go from extremely positive to slightly negative all from incessant Taurus bashing on the forums.

Getting down to the truth is difficult. One has to wonder, how many of the basher's have actually owned, shot, or had any experience whatsoever with Taurus?

Taurus are a lot of gun for the money, so how much is the trashing of the brand actually snobbery?

Modern manufacturing actually equals things out. Todays airweight smith 637 may not be leaps and bounds ahead of Taurus ultralight 85s.

Since this is the Semi-Auto forum, I would argue that a Taurus 1911 is probably of far better quality than several other 1911s in the $500 - $600 range.

Now, I must admit that I am not a huge fan of the semi-automatic pocket pistols from Taurus. Not because I think they are low quality, but because I find them less than visually appealing.

Anyways, if you want to go a little bigger than pocket, and want a gun that feels great in the hand, is small enough for cc, is at a low price point, and shoots real well; Taurus Millennium is hard to beat, and they are like $350. So I ask you this.. How often are you comfortable spending such little money on a firearm, and know it will be safe, reliable, and high quality? Not often..

Taurus is a good brand. To bad they are bashed so much...

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; September 18, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

Re: What's wrong with Taurus?

Ages ago, before I knew any better, I owned a few Taurus revolvers. They all had issues ranging from minor problems like the ejection rod needing to be loc tighted, to catastrophic failures that completely locked up the gun.

Dealing with Taurus's customer service was easily the worst warranty experiences of my life. The only company to ever come close to being as incompetent, unresponsive and bold boiling was Dell.

I will never own another taurus again.

Edit to add: One thing to keep in mind is no American law enforcement or military are issued Taurus firearms. That should tell you something.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; September 18, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Pico

Taurus

Whew. Here we go with this flame thrower. Just my thoughts here.

I see them as hit or miss. One thing that is wrong with them is they have TOO MANY lines and sub-lines of product out there and sometimes they do not spend enough time in developing them before market. I have owned a PT145 and it never gave me any problems. I now own a PT-92 and like it a lot. But I know some folks who have had trouble with revolvers and semi-autos and have had to send them back.

There are some folks on this forum which are definitely not fans and will not hesitate to tell you why. There are some who love their various Taurus firearms. I am in the middle. They seem to do the job but they are not and never will be a top tier manufacturer.

One truth is they do not maintain as much resale value as other guns and if you are into trading guns, a higher end gun will hold value better.

Pico
Old September 18, 2013, 07:35 PM   #8
rduckwor

Taurus and Kimber. Brothers separated at birth. Quality, consistency and service. Both fail at these.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:40 PM   #9
baddarryl

I have a 1985 M85 snub in stainless that is a fine weapon. Better trigger than my GP100.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
bamiller

I understand that any manufacturer can have a bad one sneak through but the kicker for me was when I sent my PT145 back to Taurus twice for the same issues and it came back both times with the problems still not fixed.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Leejack

I've owned several and nothing wrong at all.

You picked the best place on the planet to start this thread, the Taurus hating capitol of the world.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Arkhog

Here is one example

A buddy of mine from work found a great deal on a used PT145. The seller was very honest with him and told him that the MIM safety had snapped off when the gun had less than one box of ammo through it. The seller returned the gun to Taurus and had it replaced. He sold the gun to my buddy for a great price with full disclosure of the situation.

I met my friend at the range and was standing behind him on the first trigger pull of the PT145. The replacement safety was sheared off by the slide and went flying.

Eyewitness story. First-hand account. No bashing. Just truth.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

Have to agree more with Psychedelic Bang on this one. After owning some Bashed Brands myself to find they are not as bad as thier image portrays on the web.

Quote:
if you want to go a little bigger than pocket, and want a gun that feels great in the hand, is small enough for cc, and shoots real well; Taurus Millennium are hard to beat, and they are like $350.
I actually carry one of these the PT145 Millenium Pro. Compact double stack 45acp 10+1. I have ran 200 ball factory and 100 of my reloads with no problems. The earlier generations had an issue with the frame cracking and was fixed in the model I have. Snappy little gun!

I have had a few Taurus 1911's over the years and never had a problem with them either.

Now I know they (taurus)have had thier problems, more so in the Semi-autos than the revolvers (pretty sound wheelers from My experience). Really more so in certain models and generations than every make and model. But then again they all have, maybe not as much though.

Taurus makes some good guns, just do a little googling before you buy and pay attention to generations when looking them up.

If you ask me thier customer service has done them more harm than any quality issue they ever had.
Old September 18, 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
James K
Staff

Based on some personal experience and too many reports to ignore or dismiss as "bashing", here is my view. In spite of repeated promises of change, Taurus quality control is still not as good as it should be, and that seems to be almost totally a matter of errors in manufacturing. Design (where it is original) is good, and materials are top notch. If they ever get their act together on the production line and stop mistakes from getting out, they will be world class. I don't know if they don't pay workers enough to check for quality, or they emphasize production over quality, but they are doing something wrong.

Poor customer service is simply a reflection of poor QC; if QC were perfect, there would be little need for customer service at all.

Jim
Old September 18, 2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Technosavant

Had one. Never again. Wanted to love it. Shot it great. But it just wouldn't work right.

When the CEO of the company realizes things are so far gone they need to make a video promising things (both quality control and customer service) will improve, you know that reports of bad experiences aren't bashing but the actual truth that's become so notorious even the executives can't ignore it.

Most Taurus guns are probably just fine. They seem to have a higher number of problematic guns and they can't seem to take care of them when given the chance.

Taurus does offer a lot of gun for the money. Others offer values that may not be quite as great but with a fair amount more peace of mind. Honestly, I've yet to see a Taurus that isn't more than $100 less (usually a smaller price break) than a not dissimilar gun with a much better reputation. I just don't see the point in buying one.

They day might come when they have clearly fixed their issues. I hope that day does come. That day is not yet.
Old September 18, 2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Beretta686

I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers over the years and never had any trouble with them. They got sold to upgrade to S&W, but they were decent guns.

I've extensively shot friends' 24/7 in 9mm and a Millennium Pro in .45ACP. Both of them left me very impressed with their accuracy, ergonomics and reliability.

I've heard other people complaining about their Taurus pistols, but I've never personally seen one have a problem.

On the other hand, I've had 2 Kimbers that would never feed right, even after 1000 round break-in period. You'll hear all sorts of horror stories about Taurus and how Kimber is the most amazing gun ever. While I'll tell you Kimber sucks and Taurus is great. Everyone just has to figure it out for themselves.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 18, 2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Seaman

Wanted a 40 cal revolver (have a free brass source). Couldn't find a S&W, the Charter Arms don't do moon-clips, & the CAs I've seen have trouble extracting all the empties so that was a no-go.

Taurus is the only game in town, so took a chance and bought a Taurus 405 - accurate, butter smooth DA trigger, good SA, fit &finish about 80% compared to S&W, and the price was right.

Taurus makes a very good 40 cal revolver, I will likely buy a Taurus semi-auto next.
Old September 18, 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
2afreedom

I had a model 85 snub that had an excessive cylinder gap. I had to send it in 3 times before the issue was fixed. It took a letter to the head of customer service to get it done. Taurus makes some interesting guns, but I shy away from them now due to my experience with their customer service. Also, the price difference between them and S&W or Ruger isn't enough to justify taking the chance.
Old September 18, 2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Bamashooter

Ive carried a PT-145 since 2008 without a single issue. I bought my wife a Protector Poly 38spl+p because she didn't like her 9mm and its surprisingly accurate for a 2'' barrel. Say what you want I don't have a problem with Taurus and would recommend them to anyone looking for a good gun.

Every gun company has a customer service dept for a reason. Im sure Taurus' repair shop isn't the only one busy with the way the gun industry is pumping out guns these days.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
tahunua001

they are poorly made and have poor quality control. I have seen taurus revolvers lock up on several occasions. if a revolver can't be expected to operate reliablity I have no interest at all in any of their semis.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:26 PM   #21
BarkSlayer

You answered your own question. Yes, they are inexpensive, and this is a classic case of getting exactly what you pay for.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:32 AM   #22
vyse.04

Taurus does catch a lot of flak on the internet (some warranted, some not so much). I haven't had a single issue with mine, and I would say that I am in the majority. Most consumers do not feel the need to praise something that works as advertised, but will have no problem stating issues with a product. I totally understand that, but I think it must also be considered when looking at the big picture. No company would last 5 years if half of their inventory had to be sent back each year.

That being said, Taurus sells pistols similar to other brands at a lower price point. They are compared to other companies like Ruger, S&W, etc. quite frequently, but IMO the market for Taurus is different than most other manufacturers. Whereas Glock goes for LEO and HK/FNH for military, Taurus seems quite happy with where they are at. Their handguns lack some of the refinement of other brands, but price has to be remembered as well. If Beretta sold the 92FS for the same price as Taurus, they would probably be forced to drop the PT92. But for the average gun owner, a PT92 will serve the same function. My PT1911 is not a Colt, and I knew that going in. It was however cheaper by around $500, and is not my only firearm. No malfunctions to date either, so I really couldn't ask for any more than that.

Most of this post reads like a Taurus praise review, but I don't mean to take away from the legitimate complaints presented. My Taurus has served me well, but given the intended use, I can understand why people would feel more comfortable going with another brand. If you have the chance to try one, go for it and come up with your own conclusions... I probably didn't have to say that last line though.
Old September 19, 2013, 07:09 AM   #23
loose_holster_dan

in my experience, they always shoot, and they always look good. however, the fit on them is often very loose. you can hear the rattle in a lot of the models. both of the ones i owned were extremely inaccurate. for a couple of years, i thought i was just a bad shooter. then i bought a sig p226 and was shooting the heads off of daisies at 10yds.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #24
SauerGrapes

I bought a PT709 when they first came out. First trip to the range was a complete failure. Long story short, sent the gun back the next day on their dime, got it back 5 weeks later. It's been flawless since.

That said, I get concerned about a company that can't {or won't} fix problems with their products. Too many stories of guns sent back numerous times with unfixed problems. One guy posted his experience a couple years ago. The gun went back to Taurus no less than 7 times for the same problem. I don't think the gun was ever fixed or replaced by Taurus. That's just bad business.
I consider myself lucky, mine was fixed in one trip and has been fine ever since. It's a great gun for the money, but I never recommend Taurus handguns without a disclaimer. {buyer beware}

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 19, 2013, 09:31 AM   #25
Fishbed77

Like all other things in this world, you get what you pay for.