The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 15, 2013, 03:11 PM   #26
SaxonPig

Of course. A few years ago I started buying guns that I had when young or wanted when young and never got. Some were sold as I realized why I disposed of them in the first place. A couple are still hanging around.
Old September 15, 2013, 03:40 PM   #27
wogpotter

Sometimes.
Once upon a time, many years ago I was Issued an L1A1 SLR in the UK & I hated the bloody thing! It had so many stopages we numbered them
Thein I was at a gun show & bought a metric FAL.
It didn't jam.
Hmmm..........

I bought a NIW Lee Enfield #4 Mk2 because I always wanted one that was MINE! All MINE!
Thats about it though.

Everyone assumes I have a Browning P35 hidden somewhere, but I dont, I never liked the thing with that horrible trigger pull & the "I don't WANNA release the magazine" feature.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 15, 2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Kev

I'm not that old @ 48...
But absolutely!
It's more of what was in my Fathers collection that I had early access to shoot so those guns are near and dear to me.
Sadly he sold off many during rough times but kept a few.
I also have been stupid and have let a few slip out of my possession.
To replace them all is not in my means at the moment but the short list is..

SW 38/44 heavy duty
SW K-38 combat masterpiece
SW K-22
SW Highway Patrolman 357

Remington Rand GI WW2 45

Colt Officer Model Match 38
Colt Officer Model Match 22
Colt Official Police 38
Colt Trooper 357

I love the guns..but the memories are what I cherish the most
Old September 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #29
David13

I'm quite close to being an official old guy.
Yes, nostalgia is part of it for me.
I got a 308 this year, bolt action. I had to go back to the old bolt action days.
Something about the feel of taking a shot, rolling the bolt up, then back. And loading another.
But I like to look into new things, as well, and to go back to the past to turn over a stone that I didn't turn over at the time.
Like Glock.
Maybe some day I will own my very own Glock.
But I doubt it.
dc
Old September 15, 2013, 09:12 PM   #30
Bob Wright

I refuse to answer due to the persons to whom it was addressed!

Bob Wright
Old September 15, 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
RJay

If I find any old guys I'll ask what they buy.
Old September 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
DavidAGO

I assume the OP is not talking about me when he says "old guy", but at 56 I can concede that I may get there one day. But yes, there are still a few I want because I had them at one time. so if any of you young guys have a S&W 58 or a 6"S&W 28, I will buy them now and sell them back to you when you get older.

David
Old September 16, 2013, 07:52 AM   #33
skoro

Quote:
Getting old sucks .
Hey, getting old ain't for wimps. But it sure beats the alternative.

Personally, I don't buy current firearms based on past ownership. I get a somewhat random urge or "need" for something, then take my time waiting for a good (or acceptable) price before buying.
Old September 16, 2013, 11:13 AM   #34
jglsprings

Well I'm not old...

I did go back and buy one that "got away"...

But as a rule I've kept the ones I wanted.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old September 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #35
Sevens

I'm in my 40's now, and in a gun forum, I'm probably not all that "old." But I consider how long I've been buying, owning & loving guns, and also consider that I'm not a "gamer" and don't tend to be swayed by guns from video games or movies, I figured I might be part of the target audience.
Old September 16, 2013, 12:11 PM   #36
Guv

Yes!!! I miss some of my old guns much much more than any of my old girl freinds!
Old September 16, 2013, 01:16 PM   #37
sf46

I think you need to define what you mean by old guys. I just made 40 years old, do I fit that category? I personally own and continue to buy any and all types of guns based on whatever strikes my fancy when I'm looking to buy another gun.
Old September 17, 2013, 04:05 AM   #38
CajunBass

If anything I've been buying the ones I WANTED when I was younger. I about wore a copy of "The Shooters Bible" out wishing..."I want that one...and that one...and one of those.

Most of them I've bought shot a few times, fondled a lot, then sold off to someone else who'll enjoy it more than I did.

There is one I tell myself I'm looking for. My first handgun was a Model 19 S&W. I made a mark on the gun to mark it as mine. The mark is under the grips. Lately I've found myself pulling the grips on every Model 19 I see. What I'll do if I find it, I'm not sure...
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 17, 2013, 11:44 AM   #39
lcpiper

The only gun I ever sold that I don't wish I still had was the piece of dung Tech-9 I got back around 1980 and sold within a month.
Old September 18, 2013, 12:56 PM   #40
temmi

Not me

I have never sold any gun and still have the ones I bought when I was 17 (I am now 59)

So I want new stuff

Snake
Old September 18, 2013, 01:22 PM   #41
Carne Frio

I'm 68 and still have the first two that I got as a kid.
Plus a few more.
Old September 18, 2013, 03:41 PM   #42
Jim243

Only one that I ever wanted to replace was my AR, which I did with a carbine length one. all the rest no, I am much more happy with the ones I have than I had.

Jim
Old September 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #43
bedbugbilly

At 60, I guess that qualifies me as "old" . . . at least to someone younger than me.

Actually, I never owned a "cartridge handgun" until a few years ago as I shot BP for 50 years - I have owned a few cap and ball revolvers over the years.

Actually, at where I am in life right now, I seem to be more interested in "vintage" cartridge revolvers. For me, it's not a case of "replacing" what i may have had in the past and let go . . . it's a case of getting something that I've wanted for a long time but never got around to getting. Life is too short and I have decided that the "present" is the best the to do those things . . . we never know what tomorrow holds for us.

I used to have a LOT of long guns - I promised my wife I would "downsize" and I did over a couple of years . . but then I got interest in shooting cartridge handguns . . . so now i have around a dozen.

In fact . . . I've always wanted a S & W J frame - I found one today - a Model 36 snubbie in pristine shape. Soooooo . . . it followed me home. Cute little thing and it will probably become my new carry.

I have always been interested in reloading . . . just never done it. I decided with the price of 38 spls. (my favorite cartridge) that I would start. My press arrived today int he mail . . . so I figure that I had a good day today!

To me . . . . the "hunt" is almost as much fun as the "finding". I have a "bucket list" . . . . a Smith 36 J frame with a 3" barrel, a nice Model 10 and perhaps several other Smith models. At some point, I'll find 'em.

If you have a hankering to buy something you had as kid . . . I say "go for it". Don't put it off . . . enjoy it while you can and have fun. And in that fun . . . I hope you run across a young person who has an interest in shooting that you can take under your wing and gun safety and shooting to so that they will have the same type of memories that you do.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 18, 2013, 07:00 PM   #44
Wreck-n-Crew

Have to say I like them all but yes I do go back, did today >>>>>>
S&W 5906

Let some one I love dearly talk me into selling mine to them 10 years ago and nothing has been the same, and that is many until now.
Old September 21, 2013, 08:40 AM   #45
MOshooter65202

I've managed to hold on to all my firearms from my youth except a Remington 1100 20 ga.,I sold when I was 18 years old.
31 years later I still regret that sale,the good side I have added many arms since those youth days and have another Remington 1100 20 ga.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:49 PM   #46
cole k

Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

Petty much that is what I do!!!

I just bought a new SR 1911 this week!!!
Old September 24, 2013, 01:54 AM   #47
Glenn Dee

REvatella...lol I thought I was the only person to do that...lol. I also like accumulating various guns from TV and the movies from when I was a kid.
Old September 24, 2013, 02:09 AM   #48
Tejicano

In my mid-50's so old by some descriptions but young by others.

I have never sold a gun although I've had a few stolen and gifted (sold cheap) one to a man I deeply respected just because he wanted it but couldn't afford the price.

I have most guns which I have always wanted - although that elusive Luger is still out there somewhere. I almost bought a 98% WWI Artillery Luger from a well known collector - back before the internet - we had been exchanging letters but he fell ill and the deal stagnated. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money any more.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:51 PM   #49
Stevie-Ray

I've been looking for a Mossberg 352, the rifle I learned on. Have seen a few, but never for the right price. I almost chucked the idea and bought a 151M that a guy had here at a gun show that looked brand new. Scope included. It was $200. I'm still kicking myself over that.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:42 AM   #50
Bozz10mm

I don't do that with firearms, but I have done it with a BB gun that I had as a kid. The Daisy Model 25. I miss my old Benjamin .22 that replaced the Model 25 when it wore out, but my Sheridan Silver Streak fills that void.