The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 14, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
sheepman

Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

At 67 I find my self wanting to replace guns tat I had as a Kid. My first handgun was a S&W k 22. Later at 17 I got a Ruger 357 Blackhawk. A Colt Python was always a desire but when I got one it was soon traded. In the last 30 years there has been a lot of handguns go through my hands.

Presently am happy with Glock 21, Sig 2022 40S&W Walther P99 9m QA for autos and S&W 66, Charter 44 SP and Ruger Single Six. There has been about 200 handguns pas through my hands in the last 30 years.

Have enjoyed having 1911s of all different calibers. The only handgun that I have wanted but never had is a Luger, maybe some day.

A lot of the magnum and heavy recoiling handguns that I had, now hurt my hand to shoot. 22 and 32 are now more attractive than they used to be.

Getting old sucks .
Old September 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
tekarra

Yes, getting old does suck. There are a couple of rifles from long ago that I would like to replace, but the only handguns I had were either old and beat up or very cheap.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:24 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I never have felt I had to replace anything. I kept all the ones I really liked.

Jim
Old September 14, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
g.willikers

I pretty much still like the same ones as before.
Unless one comes along that does something outstandingly better, there's not much reason to replace anything.
A good one is a good one.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

I'm not too nastalgic about guns. I've pretty much modernized my whole collection except for a few. More sentimental value than anything.

Now, if you want to talk cars.........I'd love to have my old 69 Roadrunner or my 67 Chevelle SS back.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Arizona Fusilier

I do a lot of research before I buy any gun. I have kept the overwhelming majority of everything I have ever bought. I guess I don't fall prey to the "gee-whiz" factor too much, and stick with my acquisition plan.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
mrray13

Although not old, I did have to buy a Python because of the one I shot as a youth. I've not had the urge to replace anything I've bought and sold as an adult.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
PT-92

Not really in that I still have everything I've ever had . However, I find that as I grow older my interest in historical firearms (most recently, for example, the Colt Walker 1847) does likewise.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:56 PM   #9
9ballbilly

Not so much on guns I've already owned, more like guns I wanted for a very long time but never bought. For instance my two most recent purchases were an early .44spl Bulldog 3" and a Colt police positive special .32-20.
Old September 14, 2013, 06:10 PM   #10
rodfac

Yep, this is a common theme (read discussion point) in our family. At 67, I don't need another gun (hell, I probably shouldn't be buying ripe bananas!), but that said, I have a fondness for those guns that I couldn't afford when I was young. Winchesters of the Model 61 or 62 type, Marlins of most any caliber or action type, Colt 1911's, Diamondbacks, National Match '03 Springfields...you get the idea, and I predict that you'll do the same when your in your autumn years.

I find now, that I just don't have the time left to thoroughly explore those interesting calibers and action types that eluded me in my youth. .218 Bee's, .32-20's, 25-20's, .44-40's in rifle and revolver combinations. Just not enough time left to check 'em out. You younger guys will have to do the exploring.

Now, I'm interested in tramping the long meadows, reliving my youth hunting woodchucks in the hills south of Buffalo, NY. Farmers then (the early 60's) paid a $.50 premium on each chuck tail I'd bring in...saved their dairy cows some broken legs I figured.

But more now, it's the time in the fields that remind me of my boyhood...the sights and smells of autumn, golden rod in bloom, and the apple trees heavy with ripe fruit...ah to do it all again....

Savor your time on this most wonderful planet my friends...for Heaven is really our time on earth....and bring along a young'en to help you find the way home.

Best Regards and keep your powder dry....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 14, 2013, 06:20 PM   #11
3.Shot.Group.

I like the ones that worked well, shot well, were easy to maintain, and, now that ammo is getting outrageous, I like the ones that are economical to shoot as far as plinking goes.
Old September 14, 2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Revoltella

Seems I've been buying the real ones of the toys I had as a kid.
Old September 14, 2013, 08:20 PM   #13
napg19

Good title. My first handun at 18 was a Ruger Mark I. Had alot of fun with it until I let the big boys sway me to think the real fun was the bigger calibers with a bigger cost to shot. Now I'm loosing some strength in my hands so I sold some of the big toys and got a Ruger SR22 and all the .22lr ammo I can find and having fun again. But I still kept one .357 just in case.
Old September 14, 2013, 09:49 PM   #14
socalboy

I like my sp101 .357 but then I'm only 75. I'll see if I can find an old guy for you.
Old September 14, 2013, 11:08 PM   #15
bikerbill

Nope ... I love new guns, tho I still have the first gun I ever bought. Aside from that .. and a Smith .22 semi to replace one I had long ago ... just bought a Ruger LCR 22mag and a few months ago a Springer XDs .45 ... I love nostalgia, but modern weapons are just more interesting to me .. I'm 68, by the way ...

I found I was having a hard time keeping the muzzle down on harder recoiling guns ... I got a Gripmaster, been using it and a heavier successor for the past few years, I swear by it ... I can get back on target far faster and my accuracy is way up .. and ... I can open any jar my wife can bring home from the store ... she's always impressed ...
Old September 15, 2013, 07:43 AM   #16
kutz

I was poor as a kid, now I'm not, so I'm buying now, what I wanted then.
Dang I wanted a lot back then.
Old September 15, 2013, 07:58 AM   #17
PawPaw

Yeah, getting old sucks, but it beats the hell out of not getting old.

It is nice, having the kids grown and gone, a more stable cash flow, and the ability to help others. Right now, when I buy a gun, it's normally for a grandkid. I've been giving away more guns lately than I've been buying.

For example, last year two grandsons, who both are left handed, got southpaw bolt rifles for Christmas. This year, another grandson is getting an old bolt rifle that I don't shoot much anymore. That old rifle is a 1983 model Rem 700 ADL in .308 Win with a Leupold scope. I think he'll like it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I was poor as a kid, now I'm not, so I'm buying now, what I wanted then.
Dang I wanted a lot back then.
kutz, pretty well summed it up.

PawPaw, I'm also in the same situation as you, especially with my oldest grandson, he's the shooter out of the bunch.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 15, 2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Boncrayon

Not really, as I have kept my older firearms clean and pristine. My first purchase as a 24 y/o was a High Standard Sport King with walnut grips I added soon after. It still looks pretty much the same as it is today at 64 y/o. The same is true with my Savage Fox B 20 gauge side-by-side. There's no need to restock if they are continually cared for.

Many have the need to sell off their firearm or trade based on need or want. I simply have not sold or traded any of my firearms...only added to them out of want. Have passed a couple to my two Eagle Scout sons which they enjoy.

NRA Certified Instructor Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
Wildlife & Fisheries Hunter Safety Instructor

Last edited by Boncrayon; September 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old September 15, 2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Sevens

Quote:
I never have felt I had to replace anything. I kept all the ones I really liked.
As James K said, mine is the same answer.

However, I did recently kind of do the nostalgia thing in that I found a Six inch, nickel, Hand Ejector M&P, 1905, Fourth Change that is very, very much like my Grandfather's revolver (which I choose to shoot no more) so that I could replicate the "feel" and experience of the older S&W revolvers.

Oddly enough, on the same day at the same show, I found & instantly fell in love with a 1952 Colt Challenger (budget model in the Woodsman line) that is the spittin' image of my Father's pistol... that my Mother now has... that my older brother will one day be getting.

And the Woodsman pistols are so fantastic that I just found a '55 Huntsman that seems to be ultra-clean and I'm waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. I chased this one because it's got the longer 6-inch target barrel. Can't wait!
Old September 15, 2013, 10:05 AM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
I'm not too nastalgic about guns. I've pretty much modernized my whole collection except for a few.
Anyone ever witnessed regret in the fetal stage?
Old September 15, 2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Deaf Smith

Quote:
sheepman,

Everyone buys things based on what they KNOW. It's the only way you can make decisions.

Older people tend to have more experience and they find all the newer fancy doodads are just that, doodads.

Younger people tend to, well not have the database (called experience) to make these decisions wisely.

Deaf
Old September 15, 2013, 10:41 AM   #23
FilthyHarry

Changing of the guard

About six years ago I sold most of my guns... Funny what I kept: a Remington 870 express and a Gamo pellet gun.

Sold included a bunch of nice revolvers and semi-auto pistols, and an un-fired colt sported with a low number.

Know what? I have had a blast making a new collection! I like the new one a lot better than the old one!

I guess the dream guns of 25 years ago are different than the dreams I have now.
Old September 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #24
DaleA

Quote:
Getting old sucks .
Yup.

But until senility sets in (which might be in a couple of weeks…) I think gun guys and gals are always on the lookout and willing to give a sniff to new stuff that might actually be useful and fill a need. Take the high capacity, point and shoot, Glock. The fact that it feels like a hunk of 2x4 in your hand and is so ugly you want to put a brown paper bag over it while you shoot it doesn’t blind us to the real innovations it has brought to the table.

I think what us old guys are really nostalgic for are the PRICES of the guns of our youth. You know where you had your choice of a Colt Python or an S&W Model 27 for under $300 or a Woodsman or High Standard .22 LR for way under $200. I think the original Ruger Mark I sold for under $100. We just conveniently forget that a lot of us made less than $100 a week back then.
Old September 15, 2013, 03:04 PM   #25
NWPilgrim

Here, here on nostalgia for the PRICES of my youth! And that we bought guns at Sears, hardware stores, and MAIL-ORDER

I have the Ruger Standard 6" that my Dad bought through mail-order directly from Ruger for $25. I used to examine the Ruger mail-order catalogue in great detail and drool over the .44 mag Blackhawks for $75 or $125? I think it was.

I am mostly interested in modern firearms like the Glock, Sako A7, and AR15. But I do have a few Garands and M1 Carbines because my Dad served in WWII. And I will someday get a SA six shooter because I watched TV in Western heyday. And I want to get a lever gun like my Grandad's 1916 Win 1894 .30 WCF.

But some older designs I like just because they are so well proven, such as the 1911 and S&W revolvers.