The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
geetarman

Intermittent jamming ruger 10-22

This is for all you folks who know the 10-22 better than I do ( that would be most of you ).

I was out at the range this morning and a good friend shows up with his
10-22.

As he is shooting, I notice the rifle jams quite a bit. Failure to load the next round.

I watch him carefully and what I notice is that when he breaks the shot, if he releases the trigger immediately, the next round feeds and everything is fine.
On the other hand, if he follows through with the pull and keeps the trigger to the rear, the next round fails to load completely. Looks to me like the bolt isn't moving fast enough to strip and load the next round.

What I think, and what you folks may be able to clear up for me: Is there a part of the trigger group that would lightly touch the bolt and slow it down if the trigger is held to the rear during firing?

I cannot imagine any other cause. The gun runs fine with various ammo and with various shooters and various magazines.

It just does not like the trigger held to the rear while cycling.

Thanks!

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 11, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There's nothing in the trigger group that contacts the bolt except the hammer and "sort of" the ejector.

I don't see any way either could cause this.
The ejector may not actually contact the bolt, and it's not connected to any other part of the rifle. It's just a thin bar held in with a pin.

The hammer is a free swinging design that just pivots on the hammer pin, and the sear just holds it in the cocked position.
Pulling the trigger can't force the hammer up against the bolt, unless the trigger unit has been altered or something is vary badly wrong.

In short, I don't know of anything in a normal 10/22 that could cause a held-back trigger to interfere with bolt movement.

All I can suggest as a trouble shooting procedure is to unload the rifle, pull and hold the trigger back and check for smooth bolt movement by pulling the bolt handle.
Next, install an empty magazine and try again.
If there is something causing interference with the bolt, you should be able to feel it.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
geetarman

I wish I had thought of moving the bolt fore and aft with the trigger pulled or not and checking for feel.

I probably would have if it had been my rifle but it is not. I will mention it to them the next time I see them.

Thanks for the tip. The only other thing I can think of would be a slightly oversize hole that permits a small amount of movement if the trigger is held back as opposed to one being released quickly.

I can't think of another thing that would cause this problem.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 11, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
4runnerman

I have 2 10/22's. Only time I ever had that Issue was with cheap ammo. Blazer to be exact. 10/22's will eat anything and function flawlessly with the exception of Blazer..
Old October 11, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
JimmyR

Issues like that lead me to think of two possible errors:

1) bad/weak ammo. With the limited supply, I would make sure he wasn't shooting subsonics, as they have a tendency to cause semiautos to fail.

2) bad magazine. Is this a bananna mag or a ruger rotary mag? Have him/her try a different mag to see if it helps.
Old October 12, 2013, 09:54 AM   #6
g.willikers

There's a part called the disconnector that requires releasing the trigger for the next shot and prevents full auto operation.
Might be something to do with that.
It's part number 14 on the schematic at Brownells.com
http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...DSP-sid55.aspx
Old October 12, 2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Wyosmith

There are 2 pins holding the trigger housing into a 10-22 and also a recoil cross pin that the bolt stops on
If any of the 3 pins is missing the rifle can jam a lot.
If holding the rifle in different ways is affecting the function I have to make a guess that one of the trigger housing pins is missing and therefore the trigger group is rocking a bit.
I have seen it before.
Old October 12, 2013, 10:52 AM   #8
geetarman

Thanks for the replies. I will see the owner of the rifle tomorrow unless I can get ahold of him today. We have a couple of things to look at. The rifle is new and I do not know if it has ever been taken down.

They were using the banana magazine extension, however the gun did not mis-feed as long as the trigger was released quickly. Different types of ammo were used as well as different shooters. The only thing common was following through with the trigger that would result in a failure to feed or a quick release of the trigger which did not cause a failure to feed.

I don't think the gun needs to go back to Ruger for this. I think it is something pretty simple and some of the things you folks have suggested are a good way to get started.

Thank you all.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 12, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Darker Loaf

RE geetarman

What magazines were you using? I've used Butler Creek Steel Lips and Hot Lips. Both cause malfunctions in my 10-22. All of the Hot Lips caused malfunctions, and about 50% of the steel lips cause malfunctions.

The other thing to consider is ammo type. I've had malfunctions with every ammo type in all .22 LR semi-auto guns I've ever owned or had 1000+ rounds experience with: Hi-Standard pistol, Beretta Neos (low malfunctions but shot it enough that the pins holding the sights/pic rail would slop out), Browning Buck Mark (would initially only feed CCI Round Nose Mini Mags--I never, ever should have sold it), Sig Mosquito (complete garbage: many, many failures), and finally my current .22 LR are both Rugers: a tricked out VQ 10/22 and a similarly tricked out VQ 22/45 Lite. All have experienced failures. My 22/45 had failures right from the factory, but is running better (almost flawless) after getting some love from VQ and replacing most of the guts.

My 10/22 will feed best with (and so will most semi-auto .22 LR platforms) with round nose CCI Minimags and factory magazines. If you want high cap factory magazines, Ruger makes them. However, even with better ammo, I still expect failures. You are shooting .22 LR, after all.
Old October 12, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Darker Loaf

For the record: CCI Blazer will jam most semi-auto guns. The only two guns on that list that ate it up were the High Standard and the Beretta Neos (recommended despite some structural failures, it was a good gun).
Old October 15, 2013, 02:09 AM   #11
bamaranger

cruddy gun/mags/amm0

The above 3 issues will cover about all semi problems.

A dirty gun or mags, or bad mag, or a gun that is picky about the type of ammo it likes, is the root of most issues.

Since .22 are usually high volume and low maint rifles, I'd start with a good cleaning. The rotary mag in the 10/22 is a great design, but cleaning one can be a hassle and is often neglected. I don't even think Ruger recommends stripping one down, but it can be done, and can be reassembled incorrectly too.

The only problem mine has given me was when I let a mag get funky.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

I would look to the ammo first. I use bulk in my 10/22. In a box of 500+ there will be about a half dozen failure to fires. However, the 10/22 also seems to be finicky about magazines. Mine simply will not function with Ram-Line 50 round mags but I have been using the same RM 30 round mag for many years and it works flawlessly.