The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
mrcharlie3531

Having an Issue with my 3953 ??

Not a major problem here, Its just bothering me. As you guys already know, it's 39 series single stack mag. The mag that came with it is an Oem S&W 8 round, which is standard for the pistol.

My problem is the mag will only accept 7 rounds. When I insert 8 rounds, the mag will not fit in the pistol. When inserted with 7 rounds, The pistol fires and cycles perfect. I have shot aprx. 25 rounds through it with no problems.

I got this with less than 100 rounds fired through it. It sat idle for many years. I am assuming an issue with the mag from sitting. Should I try to pull the mag apart and lube it? Or toss it and buy two new ones? I just need some advice. Thank you

Charlie
Old September 8, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
chadk7

Re: Having an Issue with my 3953 ??

Have you tried putting the mag in with the slide locked back? That should let the mag go in easy.

The mag on my 908 is diffucult to get fully seated if loaded with 8 rounds. You just have to push it in with a little force until it locks in.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
mrcharlie3531

Quote:
Have you tried putting the mag in with the slide locked back? That should let the mag go in easy.
It is Fine Thank you !!! I appreciate your words of advice. Can you give me an explanation
Old September 8, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
chadk7

Remove the magazine from the gun, Load 8 rounds into the magazine, pull the slide to the rear and push the slide lock(located on the left side of the gun) up so it locks the slide back. Put the magazine back into the gun and release slide by either pushing the slide lock down, or pulling the slide back and releasing it.

This allows a fully loaded magazine to be put In the gun without requiring much force.

Don't be afraid to give the magazine a little smack on the bottom to get it seated.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:31 PM   #5
g.willikers

If that doesn't work, put seven in the mag, chamber a round, refill and reinsert the mag.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
mrcharlie3531

Quote:
Remove the magazine from the gun, Load 8 rounds into the magazine, pull the slide to the rear and push the slide lock(located on the left side of the gun) up so it locks the slide back. Put the magazine back into the gun and release slide by either pushing the slide lock down, or pulling the slide back and releasing it.
Thank you Guys!! I was able to load 8 rounds without issue. What would cause this problem? Should the mag be serviced? (lubed and oiled) maybe replaced? Thanks again I appreciate everyone's time. Semper Fi Charlie
Old September 8, 2013, 08:11 PM   #7
chadk7

Im not sure why but it is fairly common with the 3rd gen smiths. I thought something was wrong with mine too when I first got it. All my other guns seem to seat the magazine without much force. You will get used to it
Old September 9, 2013, 10:49 AM   #8
g.willikers

It's probably due to small variances in magazines.
I once had a 9mm that did that with some mags, but not others.
One mag in particular would allow loading with an extra round that way, one more than any of the others.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:55 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

new S&W .45acp 8rd PVD magazine....

I had a similar issue with my S&W Military and Police Compact .45acp.
The 8rd PVD magazine could only load 7 .45acp rounds(Critical Duty 220gr).
I took the M&P magazine apart, ran a cleaning rag with LPX, www.Mpro7.com over the parts(including the spring). It took some effort but but the M&P magazine loaded 8/eight .45acp rounds.
Im going to keep the M&P mag fully loaded for a few weeks to get the magazine used to the full 8 .45acp rounds.
The other 8 round PVD treated factory magazine worked fine with 0 issues.

Clyde
Old September 10, 2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Quentin2

One magazine is not enough. Definitely buy more S&W mags or Mec-Gars (I assume they make single stacks, I'm happy with their 5906 mags). Might as well get what you need now because who knows about the future, especially with a discontinued firearm.