The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Rifleman1776

Ruger LCP and cheap Russian ammo

Not wanting to use expensive ammo like the Hornaday Critical Defense I normally keep in my Ruger LCP, today I bought some Russian TulAmmo. This is steel cased, Berdan primed, fmj, stuff. At $14.95 for 50, that is a lot better than $24.99 for 25 of the Hornaday.
It ran the Ruger just fine. No ftf or failure to eject. I do believe it shot a bit hotter though. Just a subjective sense on my part. Using the stuff it flips the little gun quite smartly. After 14 rounds the web of my hand was definitely sore. But, it works. That is what counts.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
MJFlores

You can find just about any FMJ load in quantities of 50 at that price. I usually shoot Fed American Eagle and Fiocchi in my LCP. Lot cheaper than the carry ammo but works for practice at the range. I actually use Speer FMJ as my LCP carry load for the penetration.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
ritepath

yeah my LCP has no issues with wolf, eats it just fine. The only thing and I can't put my finger on it is it somehow feels different than federal/WWB/Remington FMJ's. It's not that they feel "hoter" but it does different than your normal brass practice ammo.