The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
In memory of dad

Second time owning a keltec product in my lifetime

Hello. My short review of my keltec pf9....
Had several p11s and I think one pf9 when they first got on the scene and never warmed up to them! Seems like I either had to fluff and buff them to work and even then it wasn't guaranteed that it worked all the time . Loved the idea of a thin pf9 but the older ones were a hit and miss and I had the miss.
Was at my local hangout ( gunshop) and I seen a newer model pf9 and I asked my buddie across the counter, what's the take on them now. He looked at me and said better and if it doesn't work right bring it back for refund. Fair enough.
Well after 300 rounds of monarch ammo not the first jam, shells eject fine and it just seems to want more run thru her and I haven't even cleaned it yet when I bought it bear in mind.
Only time will tell I know but this isn't going to be a range gun, just front pocket carry so round count will slow down now since she's works fine from the gate.
Target pictured is 7 yards standing , 7 rounds
More accurate than I need for a pocket pistol
Only negative thing is pinky extension that came with it is useless.
Still feels cheap but it's not a show gun anyway. Just cheap protection that works. Thanks for reading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (234.5 KB, 86 views)
Old September 7, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Budda

Second time owning a keltec product in my lifetime

I think they are a good gun for their intended purpose. Cheap shooting. I know cops that use them as back ups. That speaks volumes.
Old September 7, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

The PF-9 is an ok gun for what it was made for. Carried lots, shot seldomly. The recoil on it is way too snappy for my taste, but it does get the job done. Reliable with most ammo.

Pinky extension on the PF-9's are more than useless. It actually causes additional wear to the plastic mag catch. Every time you hold the pistol to fire, you are putting downward pressure on the mag & mag catch.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old September 7, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
In memory of dad

Mag catch

They now got metal mag catches on them. Seems there trying to improve on it
Old September 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

Their reputation for reliability is very good. Some complain they are hard on the hands. I found that to be the case when I was shopping for a pocket gun recently. Ended up with a RugerLCP. The LCP feels very natural in my hand and holds well.
Old September 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Mine was a jam-o-matic. Keltec replaced almost everything on it. Then it worked okay.
Old September 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Their reputation for reliability is very good
Are we talking about the same gun?
Old September 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Quote:
They now got metal mag catches on them. Seems there trying to improve on it
Nice. Do you know as of when? I wonder if they're selling the metal ones on their site...

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old September 7, 2013, 07:15 PM   #9
foxytwo

I have a PF9 and it works perfectly, 400 rounds through it so far. Hogue girp does wonders to help tame the flip when you fire it. It is perfect for what it is designed to do.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:21 AM   #10
ccwnut

Just my two cents.....

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'd go for a P-11, if available. Given that it's been around longer, holds 10+1, and is still pocketable, it's just a better all-around option. Now keep in mind also that my personal EDC is a G26 Gen 4, which I absolutely love!
Old September 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Dan-O

Quote:
Nice. Do you know as of when? I wonder if they're selling the metal ones on their site...
At least 3 or 4 years. I have an extra one in my parts bin. If you want it, PM me your address and I'll mail it out to you.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:15 PM   #12
angel71rs

I hope it is true that KT is doing a better job with the PF9, it's a good design, small and flat. I had to go with a double extractor spring to cure failures to extract and stronger mag spring to fix failures to feed. Ended up so reliable, I could shoot it one handed no problem. Before even with a 2 hand death grip, it was a jammomatic. Reliable enough to carry till it got tossed in the safe when I got a Shield 9.

I didn't like the pinky extension either, would compress my fingers on recoil, uncomfortable. But then someone on KTOG suggested I cut down the front of it. Much better, pic of mod:

Old September 11, 2013, 01:18 PM   #13
coop2564

I like mine but dont carry much since I got my sig 938...but I've had it for 3 yrs now about 400rds roughly thru it, its had probably 2 failures to load.
Old September 11, 2013, 01:25 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

mine pinched my finger under the trigger between the trigger and the trigger guard. i hated it. i put in the northwoods trigger, and that helped a little bit, but i still hated it. sold it about a year ago.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."