The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2013, 10:48 PM   #1
IdahoG36

Is anybody else tired of "new" 1911s coming out all the time?

I am just curious if anybody feels the same way that I do about all of these "new" 1911s that come out every month. I see them in gun magazines, online, etc.

What is one manufacturer doing that 20 others aren't? I figure it must be the fact that 1911s sell so well that every manufacturer has jumped on the wagon.

I was at my LGS a few days ago looking at 1911s, and looked at examples from Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Remington, Magnum Research, Para, on and on, and I really couldn't see anything that set one apart from the rest.

I guess that my main gripe is seeing 1911 reviews every month in gun magazines. It's one of the main reason i don't read them anymore. They will review 6-7 handguns, and 3-4 of them are 1911s. Every single month it's reviews of some companies "new" lame, run of the mill, same old 1911 that everybody else has already done.

I am a fan of the 1911, and I'm not here to knock them at all. I guess I have gotten tired of every company touting a "new" 1911. News flash!! You aren't doing anything original that hasn't already been done 100 times before by 100 different companies. Alright, I'm stepping down off of the soap box now
Old September 5, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
scottl

Nope
Old September 5, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
TennJed

Is anybody else tired of "new" 1911s coming out all the time?

More guns are never a bad thing. More choices allow more options. With the popularity of the 1911, if you only had a few manufactures you might find the shops empty of them. Fewer 1911s being produced and high demand makes for harder to find what you want
Old September 5, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Theohazard

I'm guessing the gun companies keep coming out with "new" 1911s because people keep buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoG36
I guess that my main gripe is seeing 1911 reviews every month in gun magazines. It's one of the main reason i don't read them anymore. They will review 6-7 handguns, and 3-4 of them are 1911s. Every single month it's reviews of some companies "new" lame, run of the mill, same old 1911 that everybody else has already done.
It's been like that as long as I can remember, and I started reading gun magazines religiously in the early 90's.

I stopped reading gun magazines a while ago, but not for the constant "new" 1911 reviews. Sure, they get old (and I also love the 1911), but the reason I stopped reading is because of how fake all the reviews are. The magazines live off of advertisers, so it's bad business to give a gun a bad review. So all the guns have great reviews. And it gets pretty old.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Sarge

There is a huge demand that supports many variations on the classic design.

I've built or rebuilt my own 1911's for decades. My tastes run pretty spartan so as long as I get the basic gun, I'll be fine.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #6
salvadore

no
Old September 5, 2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Quentin2

Another "no" here though I haven't bought one in a few years. But I still have three that I want to hang on to.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:17 AM   #8
3.Shot.Group.

I'm tired of seeing run of the mill guns. I wish someone would start putting more detail work into making their current guns more accurate, reliable, and more durable.

It's no wonder gunsmiths are so back logged, what with all the run of the mill guns coming into circulation that require finish work.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:05 AM   #9
rotten mick

Nope. If one comes up with a option or size that people want it makes the other manufactures follow up or re tune their model. Also brings the base price down by competition for sales.

I also agree more should be put into the mechanical aspect then cosmetic. While rose wood grips and shiny finish or engraving look nice, they dont improve on the function. Size,weight , fit and trigger is more important to me.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Nakanokalronin

I stopped buying them after my Dan Wesson Valor. The only one I'm looking at is the Dan Wesson ECO in 45acp. It's basically an officer sized Valor in quality and fitment of parts. I'm still not sure how the short flat recoil spring is supposed to last 15,000 rounds though, but even if it's half that I'll take it.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:41 AM   #11
CajunBass

Doesn't matter to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 6, 2013, 04:04 AM   #12
PatientWolf

Not in the least.

I'm not crazy about 1911s with rails, but I still love the 1911.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:15 AM   #13
KyJim

And review what every month? The same Glock? The same Sig? Truth is, there aren't very many new model handguns that come out that interest a large number of shooters, just variations of the same. Plus, the 1911 sells, both the gun and the print magazines.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:54 AM   #14
geetarman

1911s are a lot like 35mm cameras. Always a new model with the latest bells and whistles. At some point you have to decide if you are going to shoot ( guns/pictures) or read reviews.

I have not really seen anything radically new on 1911s nor have I seen a lot going on with 35 mm cameras except for pixel density. Nice to read the reviews and see pics of someone's ideal 1911 though.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 6, 2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Hell, it seems there is a new striker fired, DA, concealed carry, polymer pistol every week too.

The way I see it, the more guns, the more people buying guns, the more people with their concealed carry license the better it is for all of us.

Gun mags, well, they are gun mags. You get down to it, their reviews are kind of limited anyway. Think about it, Most guns fall into 4 areas revolvers, compact autos, full size autos and 1911s.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Skans

YES!

Guns i am absolutely tired of seeing in "new and improved" versions:

1. Glocks and Glock wannabees
2. 1911's - Trust me, there is nothing a 2013 manufactured 1911 will do that some other 1911 hasn't already done!
3. Any versions of the Ruger .22 pistols after the Mark II. The Mark III isn't as good and I can assure you that the Mark IV, V, VI, etc. won't be any better than the Mark II.
4. Another AR15 / M4 manufacturer who claims there's is somehow "better".
5. .22LR versions of real guns (except the Sturmgewehr .22 - cool gun)

What do I want to see??? More Bobergs, Matebas (i.e. innovative revolver designs) KSG type Shotguns (that actually work), KRISS in something useful like 10mm......ANYTHING, BUT ANOTHER 1911!!!

Last edited by Skans; September 6, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:44 AM   #17
JL Wesson

I have been so bored by the crowd of 1911s that I do not have any gun with the same architecture.

Lately I started considering buying one. Looks like that insisting over and over got me on the 1911 at last.

May be a 1911 will be my next gun: I just realized that I do need a 45 semiauto!
Old September 6, 2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Fishbed77

Keep 'em coming.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Louca

I like multiple manufacturers. It makes capitalism work the way it is supposed to. It causes healthy competition which keeps (or attempts to keep) prices in check. It gives us variety and at least the feeling that things are being update and improved.

Start to worry if we get down to only a couple of manufacturers. Then they can get too big and can get into money problems. Then they need a bailout. (What, you don't think the government would bail out a firearms company? They would if it meant they could control it!) Think automobiles as a comparison.

Quote:
1911s are a lot like 35mm cameras. Always a new model with the latest bells and whistles. At some point you have to decide if you are going to shoot ( guns/pictures) or read reviews.
1911s are sort of like cameras, except it would be like the ammunition changing all the time, and all those buckets of brass and bullet molds, not working any more. You mention 35mm, some here might not even know what that means. Oh, I know, that is the lens size, right?

Lou
Old September 6, 2013, 08:33 AM   #20
JWT

More 1911s means more to browse and possible yearn for. Keep 'em coming.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Skans

Quote:
1911s are sort of like cameras, except it would be like the ammunition changing all the time, and all those buckets of brass and bullet molds, not working any more. You mention 35mm, some here might not even know what that means.
I have a Canon A1 35mm - nice piece of kit, but it is completely obsolete and nearly worthless. Well, the 1911 isn't completely worthless, but there's about as much of a chance of me buying a Canon A1 35mm camera as there is of me buying another 1911
Old September 6, 2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Constantine

Yeah..I don't think there's anything more they can add onto that design already.
It's getting a little old. I love mine as range guns and all, but things like Wilson
Combat and Nighthawk Custom, etc..just seem a little ridiculous to me. $3,000 for what in my eyes is a range gun? No way.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 6, 2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Nope. Are there lots of similarities between 1911s? Sure, but that doesn't bother me. Not any more than it bothers me to read about some new striker-fired polymer. Lots of similarities across that spectrum, too.

Even though I'll likely never own a $3K gun, I enjoy reading about them occasionally. What I really prefer is articles about products that might actually be in my price range, whether it be on complete guns, or parts, such as sights.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #24
HopeandChange

Absolutely! The 1911 isn't a gun that thrives in mass produced, mediocrity.

People will scoop up as many rattle bucket MIM boxes as "they" crank out though.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Constantine

Quote:
Even though I'll likely never own a $3K gun, I enjoy reading about them occasionally.
Neither will I..I did however get to fondle my uncles Les Baer, racking the slide literally felt like glass. I respect and admire them greatly. Just as far as it goes though. I've said they're amazing range guns and I'll stand by that! Different folks lol

Quote:
Not any more than it bothers me to read about some new striker-fired polymer. Lots of similarities across that spectrum, too.
The striker fired guns that keep coming out are different though. Not the same frame molding or slides. Like M&P, Glock, FN..etc.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen