The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Duzell

1911 citadel would you recommend?

i was looking at getting another hand gun for home defense, and my favorite is my kimber 1911 match gun. but i dont want something that pricey for a defense gun (especially if its taken for defending my home)

instead of being out 1800$

the citadell is 500$ in 45acp with lots of similar functions that are found on my kimber, and ive read that they are pretty good shooters and reliable (as long as you get rid of the bad magazines they come with)

basically thinking of getting one, getting hogue flat grips , and maybe a better site, with match mags i use for the kimber 1911 i have

whats your take ? does this sound like a good plan?

Firearms Project(s): TM15 WIDOW(C), AR10 DRK WYVERN
Old October 1, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
ntg

That or a RIA would be a good route. You're on the right track IMO. I know that RIA/Armscor is superb in their CS and provide good bang for the buck. I think that Armscor handles the Citadel customer service, but I'm not sure of that.
Old October 1, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Duzell

cool, im just thinking due to the fact im in CA i need to pick it up soon before the lame pin replacement act goes into effect

Old October 1, 2013, 12:52 PM   #4
ntg

Good luck...I'd think you'd be able to find something. Also check out gunbroker. I was able to find mine there when couldn't find it locally...and once I started seeing them locally I paid a little less with FFL fees than what I would have had to pay locally.

Good luck.
Old October 1, 2013, 01:26 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

MetroArms is also a good Filipino 1911 brand... Buds sells them under the Bersa moniker but they're MetroArms "American Classics".

Scroll down here for a decent in-stock selection... link:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...Bersa+Handguns

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old October 1, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Duzell

oh i found it, at my local store , just have it on reserve now. will pick it up when available

Old October 2, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
and ive read that they are pretty good shooters and reliable (as long as you get rid of the bad magazines they come with)
I've never understood why in the world a firearm manufacturer would saddle their otherwise quality pistols with mediocre magazines. That "bean-counting" practice just seems to be asking for trouble in terms of returns, brand reputation and customer dissatisfaction, easily avoided by providing the buyer with reliable and well-made magazines, even if it costs the company a little more initially, to begin with.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Even though RIA and Citadel are essentially the same gun, I prefer the look of the Citadel. Angled slide serration grooves as opposed to straight on the RIA and also the RIA has a long "decal" down the side of the slide which I don't care for.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:38 PM   #9
TfflHndn

I have a Citadel with Hogue grips. Great gun. My only complaint is that the sights are very basic. I need to put some sight paint on them to pick up the sights in low light. Otherwise, I would not change a thing and it shoots great!
Old October 3, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Duzell

1911 kimber similiar issue

you know something to note, i have one of the original kimber 1911 match guns (with the red snake grips), thanks to my dad. Now its only had 1 issue and that's the weird extra extractor they have on the side. now feeding wise, it originally did not feed well, and it was due to the fact that the feeding system was new and not broken in. I originally could only feed 3-4 rounds into it and fire, when all the rough edges smoothed and dulled from wear N tear it fed fine and works great out to 50 yards. i wonder if this could be the same with the citadels?

also found out i had to Take the dumb firearms safety test again , my 5 years were up...... just and extra 27$ CA jacks from me...... i got 30/30 on it.. and they are saying they will apply it to rifles and AMMO soon.... i hate my state

Old October 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #11
94bluerat

We carry the Citadel and Metro Arms brands at my shop. The Citadel is a nice gun, often offering features expected in pricier guns.

I really like the Metro, American Classic, especially the Amigo.

Super smooth and well built.

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old October 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Duzell

well i went to order the m1911 full length from citadel through my local dealer, the dealer then stated its not on CA approved list and told me they wont order it due to this.

but i was under the impression from CA guns that it was under the CA approved, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Old October 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Boncrayon

1911 citadel would you recommend?

I looked at many models including the awesome Kimber. I wanted the 1911, but didn't have a Kimber budget. After a long searching and many reviews, I settled on a Magnum Research "Desert Eagle" 1911 for not more than $800. What sold me was that it was made by BUL in Israel. It's now marketed by Kahr. It has all the features and workmanship of the Kimber, and I installed Meprolite Tritium sights for night viewing, also made in Israel. Oh...Great reviews on YouTube!
Old October 8, 2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Babychief

Iver johnson EAGLE

$550 new
s.a.m. Made parts, swap out M.I.M sear and disco and you have a reliable 1911 you can trust your life with.

I put S.T.I. Short trigger and replaced stock Millet rear sight with an S.T.I. Adj.
Trigger pull is 5.3lbs

Get alot more with an IVER and better fit and finish than my kimber!
Not joking check one out, the EAGLE,hawk and thrasher in 9mm are all under $600 new.

Old October 11, 2013, 01:50 AM   #15
trkkshotbry

Citadel

The Citadel is a rebranded RIA.
Some hardcore far right guys with a buttload of land out in like Montana or SE Oregon managed to get a manufacturing license for their pistols (assembling RIA kits) while simultaneously subdividing and fortifying their land so they could invite other hardcore far right seperatist types to move out there for mutual support and protection.
Part of the profits go to the Citadel project to help fund arming and entrenching the citizens within this compound.
So I bought a couple. :-)

Tags
1911 , citadel 1911 , m1911