The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 04:55 PM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

Stop the bickering.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #52
RBid

Played with a PPQ and P07 yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Stop the bickering.
Quoted for "Yes."

Also, I think it's worth stating that firearm traits are often discussed as though they are more significant than they are. The M&P trigger is a great example. It's gritty, has a mushy break, and has a vague reset. Despite this often maligned bangswitch, M&Ps aren't a challenge to work with. This is especially true at common self defense distances. In practical application, the performance gap between the M&P and a Caracal (noted for its awesome trigger) will be negligible.

This also applies to the Glock trigger and PPQ bore axis. Sure, they are what they are. In the real world, they'll perform similarly.
Old September 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #53
HKGuns

Everyone is different. That is why there is a wide variety of pistols to choose from. I happen to like my PPQ M1 but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:50 AM   #54
monsterdawg725

I've owned and shot both the CZ P07 was a good shooting for me ... Not as good as a Sig2022 that I owned but for me I liked it as for the Walther I've never shot a PPQ but I had a P99 that was my ccw for awhile and I loved that gun the trigger on it was outstanding for striker fired my only complaint was the caliber ( I downsized to all 9mm for cost and other factors ) . If the PPQ trigger is as good as the single action trigger of the P99 AS it has a very short reset
Old September 8, 2013, 11:15 AM   #55
Jaywalker

I just bought a Walther PPQ a couple of days ago and have a Glock G19 Gen4 on order. I've never seen a CZ P07, but I'd like to. I have held a CZ-75B and liked the feel, but I want a DAO striker-fired and so passed it by. (I couldn't work it DA, FWIW, but maybe the P-07 would be different.)

The PPQ has the long, two-stage trigger mentioned earlier, and it may be a shade too long for my fingers for sure use when sweating and so forth, but time will tell. It's certainly a well-built piece, and I hope it works for me. FWIW, the Walther PPQ with small backstrap in place has the following measured (by me) trigger reach:

2.83" - trigger and safety blade fully extended
2.54" - slack removed and before firing pressure, what Walther discourages as "staging" the trigger.

Once you get past the two-stage part, it's a very good trigger.

Last edited by Jaywalker; September 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:46 PM   #56
RBid

Jaywalker,

Operating the PPQ trigger shouldn't be an issue. My lady is 5'1", with little Smurf hands, and she had no problem running it with the out-of-the-box (medium) backstrap in place. The trigger pull is substantially shorter in rapid fire, as the PPQ is by far the easiest striker fired pistol to 'ride the reset' with that I've handled. It's virtually impossible to short stroke a 1/10" reset.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #57
Jaywalker

Hadn't thought of that - I've just dry-fired it.
Old September 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #58
mes228

CZ P07

Wow, I find it hard to believe that anyone does not like the "P 07". If they are referring to the CZ75 P07 Duty. The two I've fired extensively are superb pistols. Ergo's are top tier, it is a natural pointer (for me) probably the best I've found, and has one of the best trigger from the box of any plastic pistol. Very reasonable price too. The single action is superb, smooth, slick, and almost as good as a very good 1911. The double action is as good as anything I've found (outside of the Para 14.45). Quite slim grip to be a double stack hi-cap, it feels close to a single stack. They are dead nuts accurate too. Did I mention very reliable? Well they are reliable too. Hard to believe these posters are firing the same pistol. I guess "to each their own" and "your mileage may vary" explains it.

My advice to to anyone contemplating a new plastic pistol. I highly recommend you shoot one before purchasing anything else. I know of not one brand plastic pistol I've not owned and shot extensively. The CZ75 P07 Duty is a favorite of mine. The list I've owned and compared includes Glock, H&K, S&W, Walther, Springfield that come to mind immediately. And I've owned several models of each brand. The CZ P07 Duty is a great performer at any price. And a "best buy" at what they are selling at.
Old September 10, 2013, 08:42 AM   #59
RBid

I'd say the P07 is a solid buy, as well. I think the DA is OK, and SA is pretty much always good. The P07 impresses me most with size envelope, strong capacity for size, and handling characteristics. IMO, it's the DA/SA counterpart to the G19/23 frame, making it a great size for service AND concealed carry. I like the P07 a lot.
Old October 4, 2013, 02:39 PM   #60
boutaswell

I owned an SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec for about 19 years and after getting tired of keeping rust off of it during the summer from CCing, I decided to get me a "plastic" gun so I bought me a Sig P250C. It was small and looked nice. I fired 2 magazines through it and sold it. I thought the trigger pull in DA was atrocious for my slowly becoming arthritic gun hand. Trigger pull was like trying to start a lawn mower it was so long. SA wasn't too bad but both were pretty heavy. Could have been just the gun I bought.

After selling the Sig, I bought a CZ P07 and have been exceedingly happy with it. Granted, this is only my 2nd (damnit, I can't think of the word.) "plastic" gun but I loved the trigger in both SA & DA as compared to my experience with the Sig. The trigger seemed to be about 2/3 what the Sig was in DA and very smooth with no creep and good break. There is more take up than I like since shooting the 1911 for so long, but I've gotten accustomed to it. In SA, the trigger is just as smooth as the trigger in my 1911 was but with a bit more take up than I like.

The grips on the P07 were indeed like 40 grit sand paper when I got it. My cure was an immediate purchase of a Pachmayr sleeve for it and I haven't looked back. When I can afford it again, I'll go back to a 1911 of some form or other but for now, I'm content with my P07 for EDC. Once again, maybe it was the luck of the buy that I got a bad Sig and what I think is a good CZ. Plus, it's also true that with a bit more investment, I could have gotten a better piece but I wasn't looking to spend $750+ either.

My $.02
Old October 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #61
Uncle Malice

Quote:
so I bought me a Sig P250C. It was small and looked nice. I fired 2 magazines through it and sold it. I thought the trigger pull in DA was atrocious for my slowly becoming arthritic gun hand. Trigger pull was like trying to start a lawn mower it was so long. SA wasn't too bad but both were pretty heavy.
I don't think you bought a P250C....

All 250 models are long DAO. There is no single action. The SP2022 is a DA/SA polymer Sig.