The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Malamute

It sounds like a decent trade to me, and the gun is a nicer version than the crossbolt safety model.

Just for informations sake, yes, the early post 64's had stamped carriers (lifters), I've swapped out several for later forged carriers, they are simple to do. The receivers are made of a weird alloy that doesnt blue well, but there are people that know how to do it (adjusting the blue tank temp can change the way they turn out, as well as certain blueing salts that work better). If I found one at a decent price, I wouldnt hesitate. None of the things that concern some folks are that big of a deal to me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old September 12, 2013, 01:44 AM   #27
JimmyR

Cheapshooter is going to TRADE A GUN! Oh the CALAMITY!

Which one of those darned Ghostbusters crossed the streams? I knew they said it would be bad, but could it really have gotten this bad?

[/sarcasm]

Glad you found something you wanted. Trades are part of it for most of us, and it has to be done. Enjoy that rifle.
Old September 21, 2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Forgive me TFL memeber for I have violated my #1 rule!

But I will explain.
The latest 94 Winchester involved in a tpossible trade for my Yugo M48 is in great shape. Yes, it is the economy "Ranger" model, yes It has angle eject, yes, It has a rebound hammer, but no, It doesn't have the pointless cross bolt safety. As It turns out, to add more insult to the purests, It has a magazine tube about an inch and a half shorter than the barrel. But it is in great shape with a nice looking finish. More on that, and the rifle itself on another thread I started about It.
My excuse for the violation is that the Yugo Mauser was a whim purchase, like most of mine. I wanted a Mauser, It looked good, turned out to be a readonable shooter. But It wasn't a 98! A few years later I found a Russian capture, peened markings genuine 98. A rifle I much prefer. Both because of it's make, model, and it's history.
End result, no decline in the population of my safe, and I now have a thudy-thudy that has scratched an itch I have had for a whole. Plus I still have a real German 98 in excelent condition!
Happy, happy, happy
But I must not make this violation a habit! On wait, the guy also has a Beretta 21A Bobcat in 25ACP he would consider trading for my nice looking on the outside, bore that looks like looking down a gravel road, miss matched Hungarian M44 Mosin-Nagant that I paid about 75 bucks for. Hummmm!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; September 21, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 09:25 PM   #29
stu925

The Mosin M44 for a Beretta Bobcat is a trade I could easily live with although I might feel like I ripped the guy off on that one. As long as your happy with the Winchester that's all that matters. There's something very satisfying about running the lever on a Model 94 (or any lever gun for that matter), it's the nostalgia associated with the old west I think. Enjoy the new rifle.

Stu
Old September 23, 2013, 12:07 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

Guilty I would also feel. So if I decide to make the trade II'l probably sweeten the deal for him with 100 rounds of 7.62X54 from my stash that like the Turk that went with the M48 was bought a few years ago when It was cheap.
The biggest hold back right now is that I'm not a big fan, or fan at all for that matter, of the 25ACP. Had it been in 22 LR the deal would have already been made!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!