The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Polglock

G-23 problem or fluke.

While looking at some used glocks yesterday I picked up a g-23 an immediately noticed massive slide rattle. I asked if they minded if a took the gun down they said go for it. When I pulled the slide off I noticed the rear left slide rail was broke off. Is this a problem with the .40 cal glocks or was this just a few and far between random problem with the one I happened to check out. I have a g-27 and its been fine, but I have heard .40's are more prone to problems. I'm glad I found the problem though, someone could have been injured pretty bad. Maybe shops should take a deeper look at used stuff they put out For sale. If that was someone's first handgun purchase it could have been bad news. I'm a big glock fan also. I'm not bashin the kool aid.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Dragline45

Quote:
Is this a problem with the .40 cal glocks or was this just a few and far between random problem with the one I happened to check out.
Generally no, but by a rule of thumb the higher power the round the more wear it will put on a gun.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
745SW

This is no fluke but rather a known issue of the past. It’s been a while since got these links/files, my memory is fuzzy. The affected serial number starts with an E and I think later versions have shorter rails. Glock has replaced the frames at no cost but you may have to pay shipping one way and have the cost/issue of having to re-DROS.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42040

http://TheFiringLine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134665