The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 27, 2013, 06:25 AM   #26
MattShlock

600 Yard "9" On A Moving Target

I was at a High Power Rifle competition. 600 yard stage. Target started being pulled down. The shooter, a great guy I might add, instantly dropped his AR sight picture from center bull to a 6 o'clock hold, followed the target, and squeezed...

The pit had marked it a miss when they ran it back up but the confident shooter called a challenge. They pulled the target down again, double checked, and rescored it.

I got a 9!
Old August 27, 2013, 07:53 AM   #27
madmo44mag

Too this day I still find it hard to believe.
I nailed an 8 point buck at 125 yards with a Ruger SBH 44mag, 240gr JHP with a dead on heart shot using iron sights in low light.
I hunted with that pistol often but never took a shot over 50 – 75 yards.
We hunt over feeders here so most shots are close in to the blind.
This morning on a new lease I spotted this massive buck on a tree line 125 – 130 yards out.
I just could not help myself.
I squeezed the trigger and saw the buck jump and fall.
I figured I had shattered a front shoulder but when I got to him he was dead as dead gets.
I really figured the round was either going to fall short and pass under him but it hit the kill spot.
Just got lucky because in those lighting conditions I could barley make out the outline of the deer.
Took my best guess, aimed, and it paid off.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:55 AM   #28
baddarryl

Shooting my first duck at 10 years old. Swinging across to my left after he was spooked from the decoys by the other hunters, I reached over, swung and bam! DRT! Never has there been a prouder 10 year old tromping across the swamp to claim his first duck! Don't know how spectacular, but sure was cool!
Old August 27, 2013, 09:24 AM   #29
ClydeFrog

M60 7.62mm shot group....

While in the US Army, I went to a training range & fired a 3 round burst of 7.62mm with a M-60 machine gun. You could lay a US dime on the shot group.
I was working on the M-60's sights & firing standard milspec 7.62mm ammunition not special match grade sniper rounds.
Old August 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Beagle45ACP

Last October, my buddy had just picked up a Sig P250 .45 and decided it was time for a range day. At the time, I had already been shooting with my Baby Desert Eagle .45 for about 5-6 months, so I was fairly accustomed to the grips, sights, et cetera, and could put a round pretty much anywhere I wanted to. So after my friend had put about 100 rounds through his Sig, I told him it was time for a little competition - whoever could get more headshots on a silhouette target at the longest distance. He set his target at 15 yds, and to give him a sporting chance (okay, I was showing off), I set mine at ~80 feet. When he called "Go" we both dumped 20 rounds into our targets. I forget how many of his shots hit their mark, but 19 of mine did. Nothing "spectacular", but since the Baby Deagle was my first pistol (well, excluding the Ruger Standard Auto .22) and I hadn't been shooting it that long, I was fairly pleased with myself.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

My brother and I were shooting a bb gun in the back yard in the suburbs. The canopy of trees covered the ground in shadows except for a cotton ball of a dandelion practically glowing in the lone sun beam 20 yards away. I called my shot. At first I thought I missed but the shot hit an inch low and the dandelion slowly keeled over. TIMBER!!!
Old August 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #32
2ndsojourn

Not a particularly remarkable shot but a funny one.

When I was in the Navy, stationed in MS, we were having our annual quals with the M16. At the end of the 100 yd range, spotters were down in the butts with spotting poles (a pole with a disc on the end, and they momentarily hold it where your shot hit the target). The company clown was in the next lane in the butts spotting, and as he was lowering his pole I took a shot and hit it and knocked it out of his hands. He said it stung the crap out of his hands and blamed the guy next to me. He denied it and I never fessed up.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:19 PM   #33
Reloader2

what is the most spectacular shot you have ever made/witnessed?

My brother hit a milk jug pretty much dead center at a distance that later measured over 525 yards. Rifle was a Remington Model 7 243.
Now the part that makes it impressive is he had just bought the rifle, mounted the scope, and this was his first shot with the rifle. At the time we didn't know how far the distance was and when he later went to sight in at 100 yards he wasn't hitting the paper of a standard 8.5" X 11" target. I think it was just SHL.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:34 PM   #34
Colorado Redneck

Magpies

My brother is legally blind in one eye, and had an old H&R 22 cal revolver he had inherited. None of us could ever hit much with that gun. One morning after milking, bro was taking a nap, and a nest of fledging magpies was leaving home from a big old spruce tree right next to his bedroom window. There were several adult birds caw cawing at the top of their lungs (if you have ever witnessed this, you know how annoying these things can be!) A couple of us were working on some piece of equipment in the shop right by the house where the nap was supposed to be happening. All of a sudden we heard some loud swearing and looked over to see the brother in his tighty whiteys on the front porch with that useless revolver aiming into the big spruce tree. He took a shot and TWO magpies fell out of the tree! He turned and went into the house like it was intended to happen that way. Snort---
Old August 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #35
lamarw

Since I am not a great marksman, I will have to use the spectacular concept. One example was cutting down palm trees in Nam with a Quad 50 machine gun. It was mounted on the back of a 5 ton truck and attached to our jungle clearing unit for security. You can find pictures of quad 50's used in Nam on Google.
Old September 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #36
MarkXIX

This happened this spring, some friends and I we're out shooting a variety of guns we all brought-we had a table out in the field. My girlfriend was shooting at clays that a buddy was throwing in the air with my Winchester 1300, 12 ga. I loaded up my other friends' Smith & Wesson M&P .45 ACP and chambered a round, about that time my girlfriend fired at another clay my friend had thrown but missed-the clay began to fall toward the ground and just being silly I raised the .45 and pointed in the general direction of the falling clay about 35-40 yards away and squeezed a single round off, the clay exploded about 6 ft from the ground and everyone got quiet-I was just as surprised as they were.
Old September 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #37
North East Redneck

Nothing all that spectacular, just a bit of luck. Shot a running squirrel at 80-90 feet. He was crossing in front of me and started to angle away down a slight hill running through the leaves. Already had the iron sited RWS 350 Mag .22 pellet rifle up and ready. Led him a little and shot. Pellet was in his head. Entered just below the base of the right ear.
Old September 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #38
cornbush

I had always heard the stories of how good of a marksman my grandpa was from other family members and wasn't sure if I should believe them or not. I have personally witnessed a couple now.

One was on a mule deer.
It was on the other side of a canyon running straight up the other side at approx 400 yards (if anything it was a little more). When he spotted it he says "I've got to turn him for a shot", so he shot in front of him twice and he finally turned and started running across the hill. BOOM, right behind the shoulder, 29 3/4" 4x4 down, the impressive part was this was all offhand, standing.

The second one was a Pronghorn antelope.
We spotted a nice buck a long way off and were discussing how to get closer.
We've got the bino's out leaning across the hood looking for little hills and such to use for cover and he walks up "just shoot it from here".
We're talking the better part of 1,000 yards here.
So my dad tells him to try if he thinks he can do it.
He laid his rifle across the hood and watched him for a minute and says "ok, the wind is good, I'll pop him in the head when he lifts it up above the brush again".
Buck lifts his head and BOOM, he put it right up his left nostril and it came out below the right ear.
If wouldn't have been there I'd still say they were full of it.

He has made many exceptional shots over the years, most with an old model 70 in 30-06 with a 4x weaver.
Old September 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #39
Jim March

The first time I loaded a revolver with a six-chamber cylinder up and got off 14 continous rounds out of Maurice. Gas-powered shell ejection and magazine feeding worked first time out on what used to be a Ruger New Vaquero. Five rounds in the cylinder followed by auto-switchover to a 9rd magazine for 14 rounds total.

Maurice the FrankenRuger *lives*.

Old September 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #40
Colokeb

Two in my 71 years....both 22 caliber

We were jeeping with friends near Doctor's Park between Almont and Taylor Park ( CO ) ....it was 1968.

A bunch of Blue Grouse ran into a schrub sized evergreen. I parked while the other four passengers watched. I was wearing a High Standard Double 9 22 LR revolver.

I kicked the bush and up flow two Blues. Bam! Bam!

They both dropped dead. The watchers were quite amazed, and I waited a while to tell that I was loaded with 22 bird shot. Nevertheless, not bad, huh?

============

Three years ago on the grass air-strip where I have been killing prairie dogs for maybe 7 years, I was set up with a bench, as was my buddy, Joe.

I had seen and taken one wild pot shot at a dog near the north end, and there was some dust, but it was a deep miss but the hit point straight on the verticle of the 12x scope. The gun was a Marlin 60.

About 10 minutes later he came back up, and I said "watch this shot at the far off dog".

Bam. I held him on the bottom curve of the scope. He flipped upside down with his legs kicking.

I had to measure it. So I went down the runway with my Nikon Laser. The Subaru made a hard laser target and it was just 5 feet to the side of my bench.

346 Yards.

Calculated that my arc had to peak 19 feet above the impact point.
Old September 5, 2013, 04:34 PM   #41
Erikbal

Re: what is the most spectacular shot you have ever made/witnessed?

Not my story but about a friend. He was at the local range with his Glock 19. I'm not sure the exact distance so we'll say about 10 yards away was a target. He could see where a fly had landed and said watch this, and shot and we went and looked and all that was there was a hole and some bug guts. Pretty cool I thought.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:27 PM   #42
lefteye

Some years ago I was hunting Mule Deer with a guide a little north of Douglas, WY. I passed at the first opportunity to shoot a 3 x 3 at about 5 yards; the guide then shot a coyote at about 350 yards. A day or two later the guide and I were set up on a huge rock - bigger than a car - and spotted a beautiful Mule Deer at 400+ yards. This was before rangefinders and I asked the guide where to hold. He thought I was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag and told me to shoot just below the top of the back. I knew that was low because I was shooting a .270 with a 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. I held about 5-6 inches over the shoulder and the bullet went through the heart. The deer walked about 10 feet and dropped. The deer scored 163" and is on my wall. Not B&C but still beautiful. Oops - forgot to mention the rack is a very symmetrical 4 X 4 plus 1 1/2" brow times.

Last edited by lefteye; September 8, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:35 PM   #43
n5lyc

Not a fluke or great shot, but a funny one.
My junior year in highschool, my best friend and i were shooting rats in his grandpaws barn with air rifles.

i had an old solid brass benjamin pump .22 i had polished up to a bright shine, we were talking to the old man and joking around and he was looking at my "golden gun".

I was bragging about getting more rats than my friend, and the old man asked can you hit that bull in the ass (the bull was about 30 yards away) i piped up "Hell, i can hit him in the nuts from here"

he asked would it penetrate them, i answered no, i can give it fewer pumps to drop the velocity, he said with an evil grin.."do it!"

I gave it 6 pumps, took a bead and fired, the bulls head shot up, he bellowed, and started bucking and going crazy, the old man was laughing so hard I thought he was going to have a heart attack..
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #44
Doc TH

Best shot

1968, practicing for 4th Naval District championship matches, won a 6 pack of beer by hitting an empty Coke can with 1911A1 45 SCP at 100 yds on second shot. Never tried it again.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:24 PM   #45
Jayster

My neighbor and I try to keep the squirrel numbers down as they tear up a garden pretty bad.

I spotted one out the kitchen window running through the woods into a power line clearing. It stopped to finish the hickory nut it was carrying.
I knew it was a good ways for a .177 cal pellet gun even though a break barrel but thought what the heck.

Rested it on the side of the kitchen window frame and aimed about an inch high through the scope and squeezed one off and the squirrel dropped in it's tracks.

Walked it off at 40 yards. Pellet hole right through it's forehead. Still had the hickory nut in it's mouth.

Another time shot a crow with the same gun out of the top of a tree about 70 yards away. Aimed high on him too.

Those little .177 cal. break barrels sure are fun.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:56 AM   #46
Cowboy_mo

Two that I remember

The first was on a 7 pt buck. He just 'materialized' in a small clearing I had been watching for hours but was looking straight at me about 100 yds. It was doing muzzle loader season. I sat still watching and praying that he would turn but after 5-6 mins slowing raised the rifle and took the shot. Being black powder, the haze obliterated my sight but I heard him run and then crash less than 20 yds from where he started. When I dressed the deer, his heart looked like it had exploded.

The second was pure luck. When brush hogging I always carry my S&W K-22. I was mowing and suddenly 3 crows flew up out of the tall weeds about 20 yds in front of me. I stopped the tractor, pulled the pistol, cocked it and swung on the closest one. I squeezed the trigger and that bird (to my amazement) crumpled and fell. I kept that crow in the freezor for a couple years to show people when relating the event.
Old September 9, 2013, 06:57 PM   #47
Jo6pak

I have a buddy that can regularily and repeatedly hit 7 bowling pins with seven shots from his Colt 1911 Commander at 75-100 yards.