The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 27, 2013, 06:56 PM   #51
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

As with so many rules of life, there are Generalities that do not universally hold true. The "don not universally hold true" are the very definition of Exceptions That Prove the Rule.

For example, I often see deer that I will more accurately identify through my scope... not dangerous. Been discussed.

I will also scan a woodchuck field with my scope. No reason not to, I can see that there's no people out there, I just can't necessarily tell if there's a little bitty woodchuck head sticking out of a hole.... not dangerous and easier and cheaper than trying to scan with a spotting scope.

"Hey, is that a guy over there?", don't look with your scope, that's dangerous.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 27, 2013, 11:09 PM   #52
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In my not so humble opinion, I feel using my scope to glass is limited to spotting treed squirrels and doing a scan of a deer before the shot...

Much more than that and I fall into the camp that you never point a gun at the unknown target and you know what lies beyond....

Brian put it well enuff and we are beginning to beat a dead horse while going in circles as we preach to our respective choirs....

So I think it will be okay to close this up now...

Thanks for everyone keeping, pretty much, cool heads.... We will do it again some day soon I am sure...

Brent
Closed Thread