The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 24, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

Winchester Rifles??

I have a 1995 Winchester model 70 Classic Featherweight Boss in .280 Remington caliber. Can anyone tell me how many of these were made? And what years were these built? I can not find very much info on this rifle.. Thanks
Old August 25, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Many were made.

The BOSS was an option added to the Model 70 after Herstal (FN and Browning) bought Winchester in the '90s. Some people liked it. Some people hated it.
Regardless, quite a few were sold with the BOSS. The Featherweight series sold VERY well during the '90s, and sold lower numbers through 2006 when Winchester went belly-up (again).

.280 Remington was a standard chambering, and sold fairly well.

All in all, it's a fairly average mid-90s Featherweight, with some added value if the BOSS can be shown to have come from the factory. For exact production numbers, you'll probably have to contact Winchester.
Old August 25, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
jmr40

You'll need to call Winchester to get any accurate information on something like that. A Winchester chambered in 280 is not common with or without the BOSS, which was also not all that common.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:14 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
A Winchester chambered in 280 is not common with or without the BOSS, which was also not all that common.
The popularity of .280 Remington and the BOSS on M70s must vary substantially, based on location.
I never saw any when I lived back East or down South, but they're a dime a dozen out West.
Through the '90s there were three chamberings you were guaranteed to see selling well in the Featherweight: .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, and .30-06. ...and if they had 15 rifles in the rack, with those chamberings, at least 6 of them would have the BOSS.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Sierra280

Here you go: http://www.winchesterguns.com/librar...ail.asp?id=401