The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 26, 2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Peter M. Eick

I used to plug squirrels, mice and rats with my Beeman 400. Absolute precision shooter and could easily nail them right in the eye. It sounds like you snapped your finger when you fire it and zero recoil because of the gliss system.
Old August 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #27
jhenry

I have shot several with a 1,200 fps air rifle and frankly was not impressed. Can you kill them, sure, is it anywhere near as clean a kill as a .22, no. Perhaps a .22 air rifle with decent velocity would be better.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Can you kill them, sure, is it anywhere near as clean a kill as a .22, no.
When hunting furred prey with a typical airgun, central nervous system hits (brain/spine shots) are required for clean kills. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the PCP airguns that shoot the rough equivalent of bullets at blackpowder velocities and power levels.

Even the hypervelocity .177 airguns will be disappointing when compared to a .22LR if shots are taken at the body of the animal. Airgun hunting is all about precision--don't expect them to perform like firearms when it comes to terminal effect.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:53 PM   #29
jhenry

Yes, I am aware of that.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:55 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

So how is one brain shot not as clean a kill as any another brain shot? Every brain shot I've ever seen results in a DRT (dead right there) kill which is as clean as it gets.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #31
jhenry

Heck if I know. I have shot several right through the head with a .22 that jumped all over the place and took quite a bit of time to die. Solids, not hollowpoints. Grey matter exposed and the whole 9 yards. The ones I pegged through the head with the .177, in general, took longer. Most shot through the brain with either dropped dead, but I have had more issues with the pellet gun.

Maybe the squirrels around here are more tenacious, or just use less of their brains in everyday activity, and therefore need less to get away once shot.

The .40 longrifle kills them dead as all get out, but can tear things up a bit even with a reduced load. It certainly is an elegant weapon for the purpose though. I prefer the Marlin .22 for efficiency, but when it is leafy and green the 12 gauge 870 is the go to gun.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:28 AM   #32
Garycw

Airgun for squirrel shooting? (30 feet max.)

The pellets being used make some difference too. Some are higher tech with everything from cheap crossmans to alloy, pointed, hollow point and the ones with the BB in the butt for extra shock power.
There's some good vids on YouTube of the .50cal dragon claws. Suitable for deer hunting I would suppose.

Last edited by Garycw; August 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #33
lamarw

A lug nut and a big sling shot will work until you break-out all your neighbor's windows.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:06 PM   #34
Nail Shooter

Def some sort of pump pellet rifle. You can vary the amount of force needed with number of pumps given.

A high quality rifle like an RWS that shoots 1000+ fps might be dangerous in a close urban enviro. Doesn't take much at 30ft max target distance.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:24 AM   #35
nemo2econ

Air pistol: 900 fps, .25 cal. pellet

dahermit has told me that he found a 900 fps air pistol in the Pyramyd Air catalog that shoots .25 cal. pellet. It is a "precharged pneumatic" (not spring-air) type of air pistol.

That would seem to meet the general criteria discussed by several posters above.

He points out, it is pricey though, at $431.

As I attempted to make clear earlier, for my specific situation, an air rifle is not possible.

So I may look at the Pyrmyd Air catalog and find an air pistol in this rough order of specs. Anyone ever used one of these type of air pistols for shooting squirrel?

Last edited by nemo2econ; September 1, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:57 AM   #36
Hansam

At 20-30 ft I second the idea of a sling shot. Easy to get proficient with at those ranges and very quiet. I also second the question of WHY? If a conventional firearm isn't an option then you're probably trying to take squirrel where you're not allowed to shoot them (at least with a firearm). In any case go with a sling shot. Even a low priced sling shot will easily take squirrel at that distance. You just need to practice so you can hit your target.
Old September 1, 2013, 09:56 AM   #37
overkill0084

I don't know what they're going for these days, but in it's day the BSA Scorpion was about as powerful an air pistol as one could get. My dad had one. They are a bit of a beast but they are pretty cool and quite accurate.
Inside of 10 yards with a head shot on a bushy tailed rat, it should do nicely.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 1, 2013, 12:50 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
dahermit has told me that he found a 900 fps air pistol in the Pyramyd Air catalog that shoots .25 cal. pellet. It is a "precharged pneumatic" (not spring-air) type of air pistol.
PreCharged Pneumatics (PCPs) tend to be very easy to shoot and very accurate. They can be very loud, so you need to consider that aspect.

In addition to the cost of the pistol, you will need some method to charge the tank. Either a high-pressure pump of some kind, or a separate fill tank and a business in the area who can refill the tank when it is exhausted.
Old September 1, 2013, 01:03 PM   #39
pete2

I have a .22 Benjamin that works well on squirrels. I have a .177 that shoots at 700 to 750 and it will kill them, head shot works the best with it. A body better be in the heart/lung area and they will run. Bought the Crossman gas .22 pistol and it has to be ahead shot and it may take another shot to the head at close range to finish him off. The .22 at about 650 to 700 is much more powerful than the .177 at same vel.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:07 PM   #40
Slopemeno

back in 1983 I *almost* bought a BSA Scorpion, but settled on a Webley Hurricane.
Old September 2, 2013, 01:54 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Quote:
He points out, it is pricey though, at $431.
Did he also mention the pump to charge it with starting at $179
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessor.../Hand_pumps/83

Or if you don't want to work so hard the compressors starting at just over a grand
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Freedo..._4500_PSI/4899

Or maybe go for the SCUBA tank that runs $700 you have to get charged at a SCUBA shop for a fee.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Carbon...i_88_cu_ft/350

PCP guns are great, but come at great expense as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #42
Skans

I have a Beeman P1. You can get it in .22 caliber - that's what I'd use if I had to use an air pistol.
Old September 4, 2013, 08:55 AM   #43
Beretta686

If you're set on an air rifle, people have given great advice.

But have you thought about just shooting the squirrels with .22CB rounds through a regular .22LR?

I used to pop squirrels/grackles all day long with one was a kid in my parents' backyard and it has plenty of power for the ranges you're looking at.

I'd assume it's more powerful than a pellet gun, it's about as loud as one and can be chambered in any .22LR gun.

Or this also makes a great excuse to go buy a .22LR suppressor.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #44
Ricklin

CB caps in a good .22 handgun could be the ticket. They are amazingly quiet. No powder, the priming compound is the propellant.

No louder than an airgun, in fact may be more quiet than a high power airgun.
Old September 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #45
Lemmon

Benjamin .177 pump best

Benjamin .177 pump best

Lemmon from Rural SC
Old September 4, 2013, 01:23 PM   #46
Bozz10mm

For a pistol, I would recommend the classic Benjamin pump up pistol in .22 cal. Very accurate and powerful enough to take down the largest squirrels.

For air rifle, the Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm. Actually, Benjamin bought them out so now it is called the Benjamin Blue Streak C9, .20cal.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:57 AM   #47
darkgael

Air

Used to hunt rabbits with a .22 Crosman pump pistol. Over pumped of course. Blew the seals but never wounded a rabbit.

Nowadays I have a Benjamin Marauder, a PCP pistol in .22. Very powerful. I already had the hand pump. A 14 grain pellet at 700 fps.
Pete
Old September 5, 2013, 09:53 AM   #48
johnwilliamson062

I tried it with one of the hyper velocity break barrel air RIFLES once. Two headshots and a body shot later the squirrel was dead. It did lose consciousness for a few seconds after the head shots. I'm sure not trying it again. Some theorized my rifle was defective. Maybe it was.
I won't be hunting with anything except a PCP in the future.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:27 PM   #49
overkill0084

Quote:
back in 1983 I *almost* bought a BSA Scorpion, but settled on a Webley Hurricane.
My Dad had a Tempest as well as an older Premier. I really enjoyed the Tempest. I was disappointed when he traded off.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #50
nemo2econ

Thanks, everyone

Thanks to all of you who helpfully posted here to help me (and others like me who may read this in the future) gain info on shooting squirrels at short range with an air pistol.

Thanks especially to dahermit, Cheapshooter (for helping would-be PCP shooters recognize the full cost of the requisite PCP-related equipment), several of you for recognizing the noise problem with any quality air-pistol (or rifle) that begins to approach the more decent rodent-killing velocities. Very much appreciated!

In aggregate, I've got sufficient info now to know that I'm not going to go after the air-pistol option for my 20 to 30 foot (max.) squirrel shots, at least not at this time. Great info from all helped me get here.

Looks like the old fashioned varmint approaches with traps or rodenticides may be the most cost-effective solution, even though I would have dearly loved to sit there and get in some handgun practice with a quality air-pistol at that distance.

Best to all of you,

nemo2

Tags
airgun , airgun comparison , squirrels