The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Michael Wilson

Talk to me about the FNS-9 vs M&P 9mm

I have the FNP 45 and like it. I would like to get a 9mm. So I am trying to decide between the two. I have not ruled out the FNX 9 either but thought I might give a striker fired a shot. Can you tear one down more than the other for example I know you can put a different trigger in the M&P but I don't think you can with the FN line of pistols. Anyone know about any big difference between the brands themselves.Tell me what you think between the two. thanks
Old August 26, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Theohazard

Pretty much all striker fired pistols these days have the same basic design so they probably detail strip similarly, but I don't know if anyone makes replacement trigger parts for the FNS like they do for the M&P.

Also, the M&P is known for being a fairly robust design, and I've always had misgivings about how thin the barrels are on the FN pistols, but I've heard nothing but good things about their durability too.

They're pretty similar pistols, I think it comes down to the external safety: If you want one get the FNS, if you don't get the M&P (I know the M&P is offered with a safety, but it's large and flimsy and seems like it's just an afterthought to please the gun-grabbing states).

Also, the FNS will have a more pronounced reset out of the box, but with the Apex trigger kits you can fix that in the M&P and end up with a great trigger.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
Anyone know about any big difference between the brands themselves.
Well, both brands are two of the most well-respected in the industry. One brand is American. One is Belgian. Both pistols in question are made in the United States. Massachusetts in the case of the M&P, and South Carolina in the case of the FNS. One state is friendly to gun owners and their inalienable human rights (South Carolina). One is not (Massachusetts).

Both pistols are high-quality. My suggestion is to pick each one up and see which feels better in your hand.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Talk to me about the FNS-9 vs M&P 9mm

If you have any plans to carry the gun then the M&P is way ahead. Holster makers are coming around to the FNS, but it is still a fairly new pistol and will not leave you anywhere near the aftermarket options of the M&P.

To me, the M&P just feels better and I shoot it well. That, and the aftermarket support are why I would pick one over the FN.

Last edited by allaroundhunter; August 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
ntg

Both great choices. To me the FN is a little more blocky looking and in the grip but not too big in the grip. I like the feel of the M&P better and if feels a little better balances. You need to hold and play with both of them. Only you will know after that. May be best to keep it FN as that's what your familiar with.
Old September 3, 2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Michael Wilson

Thanks
Old September 3, 2013, 08:21 PM   #7
RBid

They're both solid choices, but I'd go with the M&P. Superior grip ergonomics, very flat shooting, and more market support. The FNS trigger is light years better out of the box, but the M&P trigger doesn't feel as bad to me in live fire as it does during dry fire.

I would trust an M&P every bit as much as I trust my Glocks.
Old September 3, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
TXAZ

+1 M&P