The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
J-Will

PT1911 Milspec?

I have done a search and turned up a few PT1911 threads, none of which specify if the Taurus PT1911 is mil spec. Does anybody know if all 1911 drop in parts will work? Looking to swap out hammer, trigger, MSH, etc. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I sometimes have a tendency to beat deceased Equids
Old August 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca

The range where I shoot has a Taurus as a range rental. The firing pin safety broke. I replaced it for them with Colt Series 80 parts, and the gun jammed a couple of times, then the firing pin safety mechanism fell out.

Range owner called Taurus and explained the problem, and they said that only Taurus parts could be used. He had to buy a new plunger, new spring, and new firing pin. If those parts aren't to common specifications, I would not trust anything else to be to spec, either.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
RickB

I would be surprised if the Taurus is Mil-Spec in any way. The military specifies not only dimensions, but materials, heat treatment, etc., and I'd really be surprised if a single Taurus part actually meets the specs. That wouldn't necessarily preclude substituting mil-spec parts for Taurus parts. For instance, the dimensions of a plunger tube, grip screw, pins and springs should be close enough that there would be interchangeability, but a lot of aftermarket "1911" parts are intensionally made oversize, to ensure that they can be made to fit any "1911", whether it's within spec, or not.
There are, of course, no military specs for any firing pin block mechanism, since the military never used them.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Hansam

I've actually had some experience with Taurus PT1911s. I owned 3 of them. I no longer own them but I have done some work with them and can tell you that MOST parts will fit in them fine.

My last one was the one I replaced the most parts in. I had replaced the original extractor (which broke after only 75 rds) with a Wilsons Combat brand extractor. Then I replaced the safety switch, put an extended slide release on it, replaced the hammer and firing pin (don't know why but the pin peened over), replaced the recoil spring, barrel bushing, barrel and finally the grips.

Aside from the barrel there was no gunsmithing work necessary - everything else was just a drop in replacement and fairly easy to do. Of course being Taurus the quality of a gun might vary quite a bit as it seems their QC dept. is lacking.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
J-Will

Thanks guys. Sorry I don't know if "mil-spec" was the right term to use. I was just curious about swapping out parts. Let me start by saying this will be my second every 1911, the first was a RIA tactical that was a jam-o-matic and that ruined me on them. I never changed anything out on it though so I don't know much about 1911s. I do not like the hammer on the taurus and was told to swap the hammer I would have to swap the sear and something else with it or it wouldn't work. So it is looking like that is not the case? Thank you guys, I have a budget of $700 total, so I'm still kind of looking around for something to tinker with and build up at the same time.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
RickB

If tinkerability (word of the day) is a high priority, I'd go for a Springfield Mil-Spec (no, it's not mil-spec either), which has excellent "bones" and is a great platform for the hobbyist. They're really very good in stock form, so you don't HAVE to change anything, but the very basic configuration allows for whatever changes you want to make.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7
J-Will

I have looked at the Springfield Mil Spec as well. Even considered another RIA as I read they are very reliable (mine must have been a lemon). I plan on using this as my EDC so I want something I can depend on after a few hundred rounds. Now I have two questions. 1. MIM means metal injected molding? I have no idea that is my guess.. Right or wrong, what is bad about those parts? 2. How the heck do I qoute posts on this forum!?

I can get a Taurus blued model without the rail for $520+ tax at my LGS.. Only reason I'm leaning that way.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Robk

A friend of mine owns a PT 1911, great pistol for the money. That said, he did have some minor work done on it and than was explained that it is not a drop the part in type of pistol. Some parts, as siad, are Taurus only parts. RIA does make nice pistols adn their service is said to be quite good. You could have just sent it back to them and have it straigthed out. But as some have mentioned, the Springfield fits our buget well and is more tinker friendly. Also may want to consider the Ruger 1911. Not sure of the price now, but they also seem reasonable and have many good reports. Last option would be to fine something else used, either for a lower price or top of your buget for a better quality piece. Good luck any with this.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:02 PM   #9
RickB

Metal Injection Molding is a high-tech means of making metal parts without having to perform many, or any, machining operations. It's a form of casting, but the parts come out of the mold almost perfectly dimensioned.
There is a large outlay for the equipment, but the parts can then be made inexpensively. As an example, famed 1911 magazine maker Chip McCormick used to sell a line of very expensive 1911 hammers, wire EDM'd from blocks of solid unobtanium alloy, and they cost $75 (twenty years ago). He dropped all of those parts, and started selling a single MIM hammer for about $20, because he could make more money that way.
People tend to shy away from products with their major selling point appearing to be cheapness. MIM can be perfectly adequate, and in an inexpensive gun, very cost-effective. What a lot of people don't like seeing is that $20 hammer in a $1500 gun.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:48 PM   #10
patriotic

Or a plastic trigger on a Colt....
Old August 23, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
RickB

Colt used a few plastic triggers, on their cheapest model, 15-20 years ago. Not sure how that relates to MIM parts on a $1500 gun made today?
Old August 26, 2013, 09:16 AM   #12
J-Will

Thanks RickB. Still going to keep it in mind, looking more towards the SR1911 now. I appreciate all the help guys.