The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Dan-O

Hornady Lock n Load Press

Picked up a Hornady Lock n Load press last week. Have to say that I'm stoked about my purchase. This is my first auto indexing press, I also have a Lyman single stage press that I tought myself on.

Ordered a stand directly from Inline Fabrication and I love it. I had to shim the stand with a fiew pieces of scrap wood.

Old August 21, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
JimDandy

Now you just need the case feeder, and maybe the bullet feeder. I bought the ammo plant version. I love my case feeder to death. I like the bullet feeder, but it's not nearly the time/energy saver the case feeder is. If I had to pick one over the other, it'd be the case feeder every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Kimber84

Hornady Lock n Load Press

I just bought one as well a few weeks back, very happy with it so far. I think all progressives have a slight learning curve, and I definetly wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

So far all I've done on mine are .223. One update I'm going to make is to get a Hornady seating die that has the bullet sleeve/follower. The flat based longer rifle bullets tend to tip from time to time and the bullet hits the edge of the seater causing it to shear a chuck outa the bullet.

Not real sold on the Hornady bushing on the sizing die, real pain in the ass to make fine adjustments without unlocking the bushing.... Maybe going about it wrong??
Old August 21, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Dan-O

I'd love to get the bullet and case feeder, but I pretty much had to give my left "one" just to get this setup.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
FtrPilot

Congrats on the Hornady LNL

My first recommendation is to get an RCBS lockout die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536...s-lock-out-die

In order to free up station 3, you will need to use some kind of powder through expander die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458...r-355-diameter

The hornady powder through expander dies often get bad reviews as they can be difficult to get set up properly. I use them for all pistol rounds that I reload. If you get the hornady powder through expander dies, you will need the hornady linkage part.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/959...pander-linkage

Your press may have come with the linkage part.

Another really nice to have part is the powder measure micrometer. It is great if you load multiple calibers and/or different powders. There's different ones for pistol and rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ering-assembly

At some point in time, you are going to have to have the case feeder. Probably not worth your "right" one though.

FtrPilot
Old August 21, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Kittum

Congrats on the new HLNL press!

I agree with FtrPilot, get the RCBS Lock out die. I have the Powder Cop and I can say that the Lock Out die is the better way to go.

As for the Hornady powder through expanders, they do stick a bit on the down stroke of the ram but really it is no big deal on .45acp.

Again congrats on the press, that looks like a real nice set-up!
Old August 22, 2013, 08:46 AM   #7
schmellba99

You'll love the purchase.

I've had mine for several years now and just had to use the warranty on it for the first time -broke my drive hub doing something I should have while depriming a lot of brass. Called Hornady up, told them I broke it and wanted to buy another one, they wouldn't have any of the me buying it part. 3 days later my new drive hub arrived and 15 minutes after I opened the package I was up and running again.

I have some suggestions on the priming system if you run into troubles like I did. Simple fixes that will eliminate 99.9% of the priming issues I ran into.

One day I will get a case feeder myself. Right now I have just the press. I have, however, acquired some lower dies for the powder feeder here and there so that each caliber is already setup - pull the linkage, replace the lower die with the appropriate funnel already inserted, reinsert linkage, adjust my micrometer on the charge drum and I'm good to go. Takes less than 5 minutes start to finish, and that includes verifying charge throw.

You'll find all kinds of things to start getting extras of here and there. But overall, ti's a great press. The free bullet promo helps out too (although it's only 500 now from what I gather instead of the 1000).

I opted for the Powder Cop die over the lockout - the lockout die is a good concept, but it only works on 9mm and larger. The powder cop works on .223 and larger. And it forces me to pay attention better. Works for some, not others.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Real Gun

Quote:
FtrPilot - My first recommendation is to get an RCBS lockout die.
It isn't important unless using a bullet feeder, and you can't see into the case before placing a bullet. Lighting is a better investment, and he's already connected with Inline Industries, who has some lighting options.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Real Gun

I don't see mention of caliber, but the picture looks like you may be loading .45 ACP. If you will use lead bullets at .452, order the #451A expander plug for the powder through expander (inside the powder drop tube). It is not listed, so you have to call Hornady.