The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Billybob123

Speer hotcor any good

My local gun shop has speer hotcor in .311 150gr right now. This would work for my Mosin but I've never used them before. Are speer hotcors any good?
Old August 20, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
snuffy

They're at LEAST as good as any other cup&core bullet.

Their claim to fame was the idea that pouring molten lead in a copper jacket, bonded the lead to said jacket. Without some form or bonding agent, it didn't work! Bitter-root bonded bullets WERE poured in hot, but they "tinned" the inside of the jacket with solder before pouring the molten lead into the copper cup.

I don't think they are made anymore, because Speer has switched to the deep curl bullets which ARE bonded bullets,(basically a plated bullet).

I shot some hot-core bullets in my .280. They worked well, were accurate and killed a couple of deer. One was a big doe that was running away, quartering away. I led her, but between the time I pulled the rigger and the bullet got there, she had turned to run straight away from me. Result was a Texas heart shot, minus the stinky gutting. The bullet ,(145 hot core), went along side of the anus, took out the last 4 vertebrae, ended up in the front shoulder.

It had separated, the jacket was under the spine, the nicely mushroomed core was in the shoulder. So much for being bonded! Oh, she died in mid-flight, piled up, no wiggles.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 20, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

They aren't bad.
Think of them as a Core-Lokt with better jacket and core materials.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:34 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Their claim to fame was the idea that pouring molten lead in a copper jacket, bonded the lead to said jacket. Without some form or bonding agent, it didn't work!
I can attest to that. When they first came out, I took one and stood it on its base on my loading bench and drove a knife blade through it length-wise. When the bullet was cut in half, the core fell out. There was no magical or any other "bond". But, that did not keep them from selling those "Hot-core, bonded" bullets. I stopped buying any Speer bullet when I noticed that at least one, sometimes two of each box of hand-gun bullet had a defect...usually a short core. I figured if they cannot get their handgun bullets right, they likely are not getting their rifle bullets right either. I was disappointed in that I really liked their pistol bullet designs, but could not trust their quality control...or their advertising ("Hot-core"). To be honest, that was years ago...they may have improved by now.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old August 20, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
steveNChunter

Quote:
I don't think they are made anymore, because Speer has switched to the deep curl bullets which ARE bonded bullets,(basically a plated bullet).
Speer still makes the Hot-Cor bullets. The DeepCurl took the place of the Gold Dot IIRC

DeepCurl is an "electro-chemically" bonded bullet that is the flat base version of the bullets loaded in Federal fusion ammo. Hot-Cor, IMO, is most comparable to Remington Cor-lokts.

Last edited by steveNChunter; August 20, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Crankylove

I use the 250 grain .358 diameter variety for my 358 Winchester. They shoot quite well for me, and so far, haven't heard any complaints from the Antelope I've taken with them.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:47 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
I use the 250 grain .358 diameter variety for my 358 Winchester. They shoot quite well for me, and so far, haven't heard any complaints from the Antelope I've taken with them.
Which would seem to support the position I have always held...that there is no pressing need or advantage to use anything except a standard bullet rather than "premium" bullets for game. The point I was making was not that they are a poor choice for game, but that the advertising that implies that they achieve the generally held desirable result of bonding jacket to core via the "Hot-core" process is balderdash. As Snuffy posted, they are no better or worse than any cup and draw, swaged bullet.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?