The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 22, 2013, 08:50 AM   #26
ClydeFrog

training, recoil mgmt, laser aimers....

I shot my friends new Ruger LCR with a add on Centerfire laser.
The red dot went all over the center mass but with the regular sights, the .38spl shot well.
If you purchase a snub or light weight DA only revolver, be ready to adjust the laser so the point of aim lines up with your laser.
Recoil and load selection can be dealt with.
The Ruger LCR is a robust, well made defense or BUG revolver.
My other friend didn't care for it but the LCR's owner is satisfied.
Ruger as a few well produced videos on www.Ruger.com too.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:00 PM   #27
bikerbill

I have an LCR in .22 mag, it shoots great at SD distances -- 7-10 yards ... I too am not totally delighted with the trigger; to me it feels gritty and maybe a pound or two too heavy ... overall, I really like the gun, got a holster coming for it from Wright ...
Old August 23, 2013, 01:38 AM   #28
ClydeFrog

Wright Leather Works....

My friend with the new Ruger LCR may buy a Wright Leather Works IWB style rig.
I'm not fond of that style holster but I know its very popular with armed professionals who may need a deep concealment rig or who do EP/PSD details.
If I bought my own Ruger LCR .38spl or .357magnum snub I'd get a Wright Leather Predator holster in coffee. I'm debating buying the format with the Lasermax red laser.
It has its merits but as noted, the LCR is meant as a close range/defense revolver & the lasers do lend itself to pocket holster designs.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:24 AM   #29
bikerbill

Mine from Wright is an OWB; not a fan of IWB carry ... they have a long waiting period, but their work is excellent ... still got a month or so to go, according to their 12-14 week info on their website ...
Old August 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #30
gav1230

Anyone have experience regarding accuracy with the .22 versions?
Old August 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #31
DPris

Yes.
The .22 LR in DA outshot a lightweight Smith in SA off the bench.
Free-standing, with no support, the single-action feature of the Smith would take the nod.
Denis
Old September 4, 2013, 10:28 PM   #32
Viper1357

Not my best shooting, but for a quick test right out of the box, it was good enough for my needs...

Old September 6, 2013, 08:49 AM   #33
Obambulate

Quote:
Anyone have experience regarding accuracy with the .22 versions?
My LCR-22 was quite accurate in itself, but very difficult to shoot accurately. I could do fine by using a 2-handed grip while staging the trigger and slooowly applying pressure until the hammer drops. But to grab the gun and pop off 8 quick shots at a can 20 feet away, forget it. There is too little feedback from the trigger and too much wagging of the muzzle through the heavy trigger pull. Definitely an expert's gun requiring much practice and honing of technique to shoot well. I ended up trading the gun.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #34
txray22

I shoot my LCR .22 as an understudy. I wouldn't try a coke can a 20 feet. I draw shoot at 3yds & 7yds. I keep all 8 in the k-zone. I'm really thinking about a LCR .38 next. I have an SP101. Ruger works for me.

Phil
Old September 6, 2013, 08:23 PM   #35
PakWaan

Keep in mind that most self defense shootings occur within 9 feet - that's only 3 yards. Chances are good that you will be firing one-handed and point shooting rather than using your sights.

At 7 yards, I can consistently fire 2-1/2" groups with my LCP with Crimson Trace laser. Granted, I can shoot 1" groups with my 1911 or H&K at that distance, but the LCP is certainly good enough. It's a great pocket gun.
Former LEO and USAF Security Police
Old September 23, 2013, 10:38 PM   #36
Kirby8604

The light weight and super short sight radius inherently make it difficult to shoot. I would stick with the 38 special over the .357 for those reasons. In the end I went with the SP101.
Old September 23, 2013, 11:01 PM   #37
AID_Admin

Since this tread is not dead I feel like I need to make a small update.

After a started it little over a month ago I obtained SW Model 38 vintage bodyguard, which is very light and small gun, totally comparable to Ruger LCR. The only real difference between two is that SW has a single action mode. After a few trips to the range and getting more familiar with fixed sights and short sight radius I am fine with it.

I can easily stay within 2-3 inches from 25FT in SA and work on getting similar results in DA. I can safely assume at this point that my "less then stellar" performance with LCR was based purely on my incompetency with this style of a gun.
Old September 24, 2013, 02:29 PM   #38
Obambulate

Sure, but doesn't the S&W have a steel frame? Those extra ounces really help steady a small gun. I believe the S&W is about 19.5-oz compared to 13.5-oz for the LCR.
Old September 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #39
JERRYS.

I have an LCR22. grouping is not the issue for this snubby, its point of aim/point of impact; the gun shoots low. the greater the distance the lower the groupings.

the front sight is simply too tall if used as a normal sight picture. using the standard sight picture of today you have to aim at 12 o'clock to hit center at 7 yards on an 8" shoot-n-c. there just isn't a ruger fix for this design flaw.
Old September 24, 2013, 03:47 PM   #40
shafter

I've only fired one once and thought it had very acceptable accuracy and a much better gun than I thought. I still think its hideous but I could get the job done with it for sure if necessary.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:05 PM   #41
AID_Admin

Quote:
Sure, but doesn't the S&W have a steel frame? Those extra ounces really help steady a small gun. I believe the S&W is about 19.5-oz compared to 13.5-oz for the LCR.
S&W I refer to has an aluminum frame and weight about 15oz.
Old September 24, 2013, 05:12 PM   #42
amd6547

I also have a S&W Bodyguard Airweight Model 38...it is great in the pocket, and SA, I can hit the 10" plates my club has at 40yds.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:55 PM   #43
ClydeFrog

LCR .357magnum...

I wouldn't mind buying a Ruger LCR in .357magnum. Id use .38spl +P or +P+ mostly but I might carry a Tuff Products safety orange Quik-strip or 2 with .357magnum loads.
I wouldn't try shooting at extreme ranges(20-50 yards) with a LCR. It's mainly for a back-up or 2nd gun. A LCR works best at 30' or under. If it hits a man size target at that range, then it's worth carrying.

Clyde
Old September 30, 2013, 12:09 PM   #44
txray22

I tried a LCR .38 today. It shot well, but I felt the recoil. I usually shoot SP101 and it was snappy. I don't think I would care for .357 in this gun.
Old September 30, 2013, 06:28 PM   #45
FireForged

Its better than that you just have to get a little used to it.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:15 PM   #46
YoSamTFL

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I have shot a few hundred rounds through my LCR .38. At first, I worked on slow fire. As mentioned in earlier posts, you can stage the trigger to the point where it just needs the final squeeze. So it's sort of like SA at that point, except that the pull at that point is quite heavy. I could post targets of very nice 7 yard groups from that method. But usually there is a flyer, and the more I practiced, the more fliers I was getting. I did some reading on DA revolver technique, and found my problem described. When you get the trigger staged like that, you're also working on your sight alignment at the same time, trying to time your wobble. It leads to a NOW! type of pull, sort of a flinch.

I'm not an expert, but I've owned and shot handguns decently for many years. This LCR was my first try at pure DA shooting. And so, I was trying to turn it into what I was familiar with. But after reading about DA technique, I realized trying to make it like SA was a dead end. And after all, this is not a target gun. As much as I wanted to see small groups, the purpose of practice with it should be to make reasonable groups while firing at defensive speed.

One key thought is to keep the trigger moving! You don't have the skills to yank it as fast as possible, but you do want a smooth quick pull, re-acquire the target, and do it again. It's great that the LCR can be dry fired. I worked on this skill by dry firing, then tried it at the range. I was missing a paper plate at 7 yards with all 5 shots, lol! So then I dry fired and watched closely what was happening with the sights. Which was that the trigger pull is long enough and stout enough that I was pulling the barrel upward just a bit. YMMV! So I worked on dry firing while keeping the barrel under control. After that, I soon was making perfectly reasonable groups at 7 yards, firing quickly. Like say 6" groups, being honest. By comparison, using that SA-type pull, I can routinely hit or at least nick a 2" dot at 7 yards. But what does that really prove? It is all about trigger control, meaning learning to squeeze it quickly without it moving the gun off target.

I usually shoot 148g WC target loads. Sometimes I bump it up to stouter stuff, but I subscribe to the crawl, walk, run theory of learning something. As mentioned by others, a snubby is a humbling gun for a person who likes to be accurate. It's only for beginners in terms of maybe 10 feet or closer, IMO. If a beginner wants to hit a baseball at 7 yards, good luck.

I also have an LCP. It is orders of magnitude easier to shoot quickly, on target, than the LCR. The recoil is much easier to handle, and the trigger pull is lighter and shorter, all of which makes it easier to keep the next shot on target. With much less practice overall, I make significantly smaller groups with the LCP vs LCR at 7 yards firing quickly. But, I still like the LCR. It's more fun to shoot than the LCP. I continue to improve, and that's rewarding. Maybe with enough practice I can get it to equal my LCP's groups. I would trust my life to it. But all things considered, I consider the LCP a better gun for CC/SD.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:45 AM   #47
Rifleman1776

Old thread but I will support what others said. This is a defensive gun. If used range will be 20 feet or under. I believe a defensive gun doesn't need sights at all. They are point and shoot tools.
My CCW instructor spent way too much time, IMHO, talking about sights. Again, IMHO, sights are something to get hung up on clothing while trying to make a fast draw for defense.
I use an LCP but shot DA revolver for many years. If the LCR has such a hard pull as some mentioned then a spring replacement kit is in order. Defense guns are usually not fired often so it is unlikely most LCRs will get 'fired in' to an easier action.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:16 AM   #48
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776
If used range will be 20 feet or under. I believe a defensive gun doesn't need sights at all. They are point and shoot tools.
In your world, do the bad guys send you text messages or something before they attack so that you can get close to them?
Old October 2, 2013, 03:12 PM   #49
YoSamTFL

I wouldn't say the LCR has such a hard pull, but it does have a snubnose DA pull. In fact, it's pretty nice because it starts out light but gets heavier as you pull. I guess that's why a lot of people feel it's the best out of the box trigger in its category.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #50
Dave Chuppa

I have a LCR 357. I can get all shots on a paper plate with mid range 357ammo at 30 feet. With 38 and 38+P I get good groups. When I shot standard 38 it was very accurate but boring. Mid range 357 was ok for 100 or so rounds. Full power 357 is a bit of a handful and challenging.