The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 17, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1
sfwusc

Remington Gold Bullet .22lr

I am having some trouble with my Winchester 190 jamming with the GB. My buddy has a Henry lever rifle in .22lr and he uses them with no problem.

I have never had any problems with these rounds in the past (have owned and shot other .22lr guns with no problem), but this gun hates them it seems.

When I have a problem it is most of the time-- it hits the rim, but the round doesn't fire. Sometimes i can refeed them one at a time and it will fire them.
Yet, it has just flat out jammed twice. I had to pry the round out and it was bend all up.

Any thoughts? Is it for sure the ammo?
Old August 17, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
candr44

I have a 190 also. I have had it since the 1970s and it never liked any ammo made by Remington. Remington Golden Bullets don't have a very good reputation either. Even with .22 ammo so hard to find, I still won't buy Remington. CCI always worked best in my 190 and Agiula also works well but it stinks pretty bad and is dirty. I haven't had any problems with Winchester or Federal either.

One thing you might want to check is if the casings show signs of light primer strikes. also does your forearm slide back and forth. Those are signs that the barrel nut has come loose and the barrel has shifted forward. The 190 is notorious for barrel nuts coming loose but its easy to fix. Just push the barrel back in and retighten the nut with some Loctite on the threads.

Last edited by candr44; August 17, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Boomer58cal

I've shot Remy golden bullets for about 20 years with no problems, but I've heard they've had quality control issues as of late. Possibly due to the very high production levels this year.

Boomer
Old August 17, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Ole 5 hole group

I've purchased 8 value packs of Remington golden bullets this year and the grandkids have went through 5 packs so far - that's 2,625 rounds through a couple Ruger 10/22's and an off-brand bolt action and we haven't experienced one dud so far.

I would say we've went through 20 value packs of Remington's and maybe 5 value packs of Federal over the past 2 or 3 years and have found maybe 2 or 3 duds from all that ammo and they went off the second time around. I'd say Remington and Federals are excellent ammo but I have read where some people have had bad experiences with Remington's but like everything else - sometimes nothing seems to work and some rifles for whatever reason just don't function with certain ammo.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Quentin2

My Colt M4 Tactical .22 and a buddy's M&P15-22 don't like RGB. Each magazine, a few rounds won't fully chamber. However our Ruger Mark I, II and III pistols love the stuff. I switched to Federal and Winchester value packs and no problems in any of my .22s.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
bamaranger

you got .22's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Any .22 is non existant around here, and I made a trip north (4-5 states) and didn't find any either, at least in casual searching.

But....the GB has always been a good load for me, and I buy it exclusively, or used to. My Savage MII TR loves the stuff and I have several groups down over the bench, shot at 100 yds, that are sub MOA for 3 rds and just over for 5, this with bulk ammo. And it seems no more unreliable than any of the other bulk .22 and better than some.

I oft wonder if the failure to fire is a rifle/spring/dirt thing from make to make and owner to owner?
Old August 18, 2013, 12:23 AM   #7
smokiniron

you got .22's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

About 10 days ago, Scheels in Sandy, Utah (our only one) was selling RGB Hollow Points in bucket, $59.00 for 1400 rounds.

I got the word out to my firearms association (South Valley Firearms Association) and a few people scooped up a few buckets.

... lucky us!
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old August 18, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
sfwusc

I cleaned it as well today. Looks like it hasn't been clean in about 30+ years.
I am not the original owner. Putting the bolt spring back is a huge pain in the butt.

Hopefully that will help. If it is the ammo, then I am just screwed. It is the only .22lr ammo i got....it is impossible to find.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #9
SteelChickenShooter

I've had so much better performance with other brands I just don't buy Remington anymore- especially the Golden Bullet.
Old August 19, 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
coldbeer

No problem here with rgb's or Thunderbolts in a 10/22. At this point I don't really care who makes 22lr ammo as long as I can find some.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #11
skoro

Quote:
Any thoughts? Is it for sure the ammo?
Remington GBs have been awful for quite a few years now.
Old August 20, 2013, 05:51 AM   #12
stubbicatt

In my experience the only Remington 22 long rifle that is decent is their waxed coated lead "target" round. For bulk pack, if it can be found, I have found Federal to be consistent, and CCI the top of the heap. The Winchester in the "333" pack has been inconsistent and sometimes won't cycle one of my auto rifles.

This is in non target grade firearms. The Lapua and Eley I've shot in target rifles is much more accurate and consistent in those firearms, but I haven't noticed any real improvement shooting expensive Tenex in a 10-22.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:00 AM   #13
JWT

I avoid the Remington 'Goldies'. They have a waxy coating on the bullets that causes problems when I've shot them in semi autos. Have some now, but only because that was the only .22 ammo I could find.