The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2001, 03:28 PM   #1
Quantum Singularity

I have a question about carrying a shotgun in a car. The book "How To Own A Gun And Stay Out Of Jail" 2000 Kalifornia editon (pages 41 & 43) says that if you keep the ammo on a stock sock (the things that hold 5 extra rounds) on a shotgun, it is NOT illegal and is NOT considered loaded. This would seem to be a loophole that makes carrying an (almost) loaded weapon possible. Does anyone here know if this is still true in Kalifornia....I'd rather have a shotgun in the backseat (since its legal there) than a handgun in the trunk if TSHTF.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 11, 2001, 08:08 PM   #2
Gary H

Ya, I read the same, but my reaction was rather different. If you live in an urban setting, you can expect to go through unending grief. Legality doesn't impress the PC set.

If you try it, please report back and let us know how it went.
Old January 11, 2001, 08:16 PM   #3
Quantum Singularity

I drive in urban areas a lot so you might be right. There is no "concealed" requirement to a shotgun under Kalifornia law so I think I will keep it in the back seat with a blanket over it and keep the ammo under the front seat. That way, if TSHTF the ammo and gun are both within reach but are not "attached" to each other in any way. Especially on long (isolated) trips, I prefer having a gun within reach...I'd rather be in trouble with the jury than be buried six feet under.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 11, 2001, 10:58 PM   #4
Mr. Pub

In calif. I believe that you still have to have a reason for driving around with a gun, even unloaded, if stopped.

Some reasons if I can recall include: going to and from the range, to and from work, to and from a friends house, to and from showing someone the gun as a prospective sale etc.
Old January 11, 2001, 11:15 PM   #5
Quantum Singularity

Mr Pub,

My reasons (if stopped by a cop) likely would be to and from the range. The cop would have no reason to check if I am actually going to the range.

Actually, I don't even think he would have reason to search the car in the first place (I am a law abiding citizen) with a perfectly clean record.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 12, 2001, 03:27 AM   #6
magnum_force

You might have found a technicality in the law but I would not drive around with a shotgun in my car. More than likely you will be harassed by a cop if you get pulled over. What if some young punk breaks in to your car and takes it and shots someone with it or uses it in a robbery? Then you are in deep sh_ _. Think before you do.
Old January 12, 2001, 11:28 AM   #7
ljlcdl

You may want to check with your local DA office or PD rather than getting legal advice from strangers on the Internet. On the other hand, it's your butt.