The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 12:59 PM   #51
dgludwig

Quote:
AND I have to call BS on a previously posted statement:

Quote:
Taurus specifically recommends against dry firing their revolvers.

Wrong!:
Not BS-the manual for my Taurus da, center-fire revolver specifically states:"...Dry firing is bad for this gun, whether the hammer block is engaged or not..."

Concerning securing permission before dry-firing someone else's firearm, absolutely yes. As most others have agreed, not only does asking first constitute good form, but dry-firing some guns could possibly damage them. On the other hand, I would not buy any firearm, new or used, without dry-firing it first, so, as many have suggested, bring snap caps with you.

Having to decide between a 4" or 6" barrel always makes me wonder why the 5" length has never been more popular.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:38 PM   #52
Sevens

Quote:
Having to decide between a 4" or 6" barrel always makes me wonder why the 5" length has never been more popular.
I will strongly second the motion. Obviously, I wouldn't "give up" any of the revolvers I love so dearly, but if I could wave a magic wand and transform all my six inch revolvers in to fives...I'd do it.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:27 PM   #53
Kirby8604

For a gun the size of a 686 or GP100 I think the 6" is the best size. As for dry fire it is perfectly fine to dry fire both of those guns, but I would always ask first. It's not yours...
Old September 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #54
SFsc616171

re: 4" vs 6" Medium Frame Revolver

I suggest that you find a nice Smith and Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, which are chambered in .38 Special, and are a 4-inch barrel design, mostly.

It came about from a target design revolver, that was desired by the military, to replace the Model 10.

Now, you can find a few heavy barrel Model 10's about, in a 4-inch configuration.

They both shoot quite well, and handle very well in the hand.

The Model 14 is the Sand W Combat Target revolver, of a 6-inch design, world reknown for it's accuracy, and handling.

As a veteran, who stood long nights on base perimeter security details on the 'back 40', in Thailand, I had a Model 15, then, and I do, now.

Go. Find your solution, with a blessing of many 'blew out ten rings'!
Old October 21, 2013, 11:52 PM   #55
Jeff #111

For target shooting I like 6" barreled revolvers. I own several of them - both Colt and S&W.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #56
TimSr

6" GP100 is one of my favorote plinkers. I only wish I had gotten it in stainless. They are very stout and can take a lot of abuse. You can dry fire the GP100 til the cows come home. You should always ask to dry fire another's gun, and honor their wishes, even if they are ignorant as to its safety. If someone is in the business of selling guns, and wont allow a dry fire, and does not have snap caps for you to dry fire, they should not be in the business of selling guns. There is no way I would purchase snap caps to look at a gun I was interested in buying. If they say you can't dry fire, and do not offer snap caps for you to try it, I would politely thank them, leave, and go to another dealer.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:33 AM   #57
Colt46

I'd go for 4"

I bought a 6" 686 and never liked the balance. Kicking myself for not getting the shorter barrel.