The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 13, 2013, 01:50 PM   #1
tateconcepts

Supposed CMMG 300 AAC BLK upper, can anyone confirm?

Hello all,

I purchased a CMMG 300 AAC BLK upper with a New Frontier Armory upper with 140 (7 boxes) rounds of Remington 115gr NIB (the lower is because the guy works locally in Las Vegas for a gun store, I know it's not a great lower) off of Gunbroker for $800 plus $25 shipping and a $15 transfer (I get 50% off at my range).

I have examined the forge markings on the A3 upper and while it is a fine upper; I must say, that I'm not sure that it is a CMMG, nor are they. The seller states that he sold it for a friend and so on, as for the box or receipt he doesn't have. The upper does appear to have the standard Cerro forging mark and their is an L on the rear takedown lug. I do not see an M located on the upper at the gas tube cloverleaf entrance, which seems to be something they do commonly. There is also RIS T-marks on the upper (not the lighter blacked out ones you see today on the square forge marked uppers) so this seems to be a decent upper. It does have decent use without a doubt and the usual F with B<2> is located on the front sight - the barrel has the CMMG 300 AAC BLK WASP markings in the center of the rifle, not under the handguard as usual and the sling attachment, is not fully parkerized and has an attaching rivet that is not flush. This seems to be a great upper and BCG appears to be decent. I'm not sure that this is really a complete CMMG upper, but perhaps TFL members can help me determine if this is really what the seller says it should be or if it is just another AR upper with a barrel inserted in it. I didn't get the normal carbine handguards but another marked quad rail (not matched T marks but marked) and a SightMark Reflex Red-Dot sight which includes a fixed laser.

All of this if purchased separately would probably be at least $700 so it's not so much the money as it is that I want it all warrantied for life. I am placing this on a CMMG registered NFA MK3 lower that I would prefer to match its upper, while I know this is not ideal - I think it will hold better value and be easier to sell if the Trust ever decided to and more importantly - would be warrantied for life by CMMG for all of the trustees and the beneficiary.

So with all that said, let's hear it TFL members - is this a CMMG complete upper, a CMMG upper with their barrel or maybe a totally different upper with a CMMG barrel? Take a look at my pictures and let's hear everyone's thoughts on the matter before I send this back to the seller and refuse the transfer of the lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMMG Upper Image 7.jpg (249.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CMMG Upper Image 4.jpg (245.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CMMG Upper Image 5.jpg (237.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by tateconcepts; August 13, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old August 13, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
tateconcepts

Here's a few more pictures of the barrel and FSB on this upper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMMG Upper Image 1.jpg (246.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CMMG Upper Image 3.jpg (268.8 KB, 9 views)
Old August 13, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
blfuller

I would contact CMMG directly and see if they can give you some info on if they can claim it as one of theirs or not.

Not sure if their lifetime warranty is to the original owner only or if it can be passed on to others if sold or not.