The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #26
DPris

I'd imagine they probably would, but I have no idea how close to original specs Kahr has stayed with them.
Dunno what'd be interchangeable & what wouldn't be.
Denis
Old August 19, 2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Bart Noir

coldbeer, please tell me how I can "break in" a carbine that will not actually load and fire? Well, the hammer flies forward and it strikes the back of the bolt, not the firing pin. Which is good since the cartridge is not fully in the chamber and the bolt is not fully locked.

Hissy fit, indeed!

And before you bother to ask, all the sliding parts have been nicely oiled whenever I take it to the range. And I tried multiple magazines of the 15-round size, not all from AO. Some from Uncle Sam.

Bart Noir
Old August 19, 2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Fishbed77

Quote:
please tell me how I can "break in" a carbine that will not actually load and fire?
Snap caps and bolt manipulation.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:34 PM   #29
coldbeer

I got a little carried away defending my favorite rifle. If I've offended anyone I really am sorry. Now I'm going to enjoy a can of cold beer
Old August 20, 2013, 07:58 AM   #30
Pilot

I've wanted a G.I. M1 Carbine for almost as long as I can remember, but in looking at them recently, I just can't get past the current prices that are over $1K or more for a beat up mixmaster. I don't know enough about them to take that chance. The AO is a definite possibility for me, as I want a shooter, and from most reports they seem to operate well, and if not I trust Kahr to stand behind them.
Old August 21, 2013, 02:10 PM   #31
Bart Noir

coldbeer, no worries. Enjoy that beer.

Fishbed, I am not sure that I have a "break in" problem since the first 50 or 60 rounds worked fine. Yet, assuming that all the cam angles and bevels are just right to operate the bolt correctly for the first box of ammo, I just cannot see how anything can get out of adjustment so that the problem shows up and keeps getting worse. It is a mystery to me.

I did think that maybe the recoil spring had gone weak in a big hurry. I put another one in (surplus so not really a known good one) and had the same problem. The striking of the hammer against the back of the bolt (not in the notch where the firing pin sits) will seat the bolt the rest of the way. Basically I have a Schmitt-Rubin straight pull rifle in a puny caliber.

Bart Noir
Old August 21, 2013, 06:18 PM   #32
rdmallory

My AO shoots fine. Even shot an AppleSeed with it once. no Issues.

AO made some of the receivers on the originals. but I doubt they are still using the same equipment or design. I would too love to have an original M1 but even on CMP they are going close to 3k for a field grade.

Doug
Old August 21, 2013, 06:27 PM   #33
DPris

A much different Auto Ordnance company back then.

GI carbines used forged & milled receivers, current Kahr/AO receivers are cast.
Denis
Old August 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #34
amd6547

I owned a Plainfield M1 carbine which was perfect...shot beautifully. My friend liked it so much, he bought an Iver Johnson M1. Iver was the successor company to Plainfield.
His Iver also shot great...for the first 100rds. It started jamming and the bolt started not closing completely.
I took it apart and found that the camming surfaces in the op rod hump had worn away...they had not been heat treated properly.

I am so happy that I got in on the M1 carbines when CMP had them. A genuine GI Inland for $450. Shoots great, very reliable. I just wish I still had the spam cans of Lake City ammo I put through the old Plainfield I used to have.
Old September 1, 2013, 01:16 AM   #35
Ignition Override

Bill DeShivs:
Maybe this difference in the feel of the GI bolts was imaginary. But what I never could have anticipated in my first brand-new gun, and first gun purchase, was that a bolt could get stuck during normal operation.

It had been gently handled, never dropped etc, using only factory ammo. I'm glad for you guys, that this is a very rare problem for most AO Carbine owners. They are some of the 'coolest' guns, and as handy as my Enfield "Jungles".

On a different but related note, for about $200 more than the new AO appears to cost, I bought a Service Grade Special today, at the Anniston CMP. They are about 5,000 behind on regular Service Grade M-1s (due to processing ammo).
They only had about six of the Specials left as I was processed.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:34 AM   #36
stickhauler

If the lowest prices you've seen on USGI carbines is plus 1 K, you ain't looking in the right places. I see carbines listed for sale in the "Parts For Sale" section of the CMP boards every day for around the $600-750 range. And I'd trust those sellers a lot more than some yahoos on GunBroker. I have dealt with folks over there for years, with no issues on price, or authenticity of what they're selling.

If you're looking for the real thing carbines, please avoid Riverbank Armory as a source. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:34 PM   #37
Faulkner

I've been building up my M1 carbine collection for a while and I can also confirm that USGI carbines can still be found for less than $1K.

Old September 4, 2013, 11:26 AM   #38
TomADC

I was thinking of sending my old Winchester to James River for a refurb. Its pretty worn and stock really doesn't have any markings left, I'd like to see it cleaned up and reparkerized, just a shooter to me.
Old September 4, 2013, 11:00 PM   #39
Fishbed77

What the....?!?

That is one heck of a collection. I see one on the 4th row that looks like it hasn't been fired in a while. Send it my way and I'll give it some attention.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
rdmallory

On CMP auction now

International Harvester M1 Garand Collector Grade 4602544
Listing Format: Auction
Current price : $3,500.00
Starting bid: $1.00
# of bids: 26
Closes: 8 Days, 3 Hours
Started: 9/2/2013
Ends: 9/14/2013
Seller: cmp4
View this user's other listings
High Bidder(s): CMPUser5369

OUCH!
Old September 5, 2013, 11:49 PM   #41
publius

The Auto-Ord. is a good carbine but that is an insane price! No way I would pay that. $700 TOPS.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

I'd buy a GI or a Citadel .22. The in between seems a waste of money to me.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:38 PM   #43
Pilot

Quote:
The Auto-Ord. is a good carbine but that is an insane price! No way I would pay that. $700 TOPS.
I think that was a typo, and the OP meant to post $699, not "1.699.00".
Old September 7, 2013, 06:19 PM   #44
gotthegoods

Faulkner,

Which of the M1 Carbine books out there do you like?

That is a heck of a collection, it makes mine look so lonely sitting all by itself...

Justin - get an "old" one. Mine's a 7/43 Underwood (EDIT: typewriter not sewing machine company - thanks for the catch!) receiver with 1/44 Inland (division of GM) barrel, The handguard is stamped RMC for Rockola Mfg. Corp; this carbine is a snapshot of co-operative war time massed produced "mil-spec" manufacturing. It functions perfectly. Worst case - if anything breaks, replacement parts are "mil-spec" so they should fit any one of the 6,000,000 million units produced and run through an arsenal re-build. The history is pretty cool too; when I started identifying my proof and import marks, I discovered my M1 was issued to the Bavarian Police Forces after WWII before being imported back to the US

Last edited by gotthegoods; September 8, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:16 PM   #45
4V50 Gary
Staff

Faulker - are you busy raising a platoon strength group of 101/82 Airborne reenactors?
Old September 7, 2013, 09:32 PM   #46
amd6547

Underwood made typewriters...you know, those analog word processors from the old days. Not sewing machines.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Faulkner

Quote:
Faulkner,

Which of the M1 Carbine books out there do you like?
There is not really any one go to book on M1 carbines, but there are several good ones that I recommend;

- U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, by Craig Riesch (I think this is a must have)

- The M1 Carbine OWNER'S GUIDE, by Larry L. Ruth with Scott A. Duff

- Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine, by Bruce N. Canfield (This is a very good book)

- U.S. Infantry Weapons of WWII, by Bruce N. Canfield (This book has a lot of the same information as the book noted above but also covers more than Garand's and carbines)

- The War Baby, by Larry L. Ruth (This book is usually expensive if you can find one but it is very good. Probably only hard core M1 carbine collectors would find this one worth the purchase price because it is very detailed. It's my favorite book on carbines, though.)
Old September 8, 2013, 05:34 PM   #48
Faulkner

Quote:
Faulker - are you busy raising a platoon strength group of 101/82 Airborne reenactors?
I have to admit there must be something in the lindseed oil applied to black walnut that when absorbed through the skin is as addicting as crack cocaine.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:38 PM   #49
coldbeer

I tested a new bullet (Hornady 100Gr SJ) with different powder weights. My best results at 100 yards were achieved with 15.5 grains of H110. I'm happy with the results since this is the cheapest and pretty much the only bullet I can find for my AO130.
Old September 14, 2013, 08:21 PM   #50
jad0110

Quote:
I have to admit there must be something in the lindseed oil applied to black walnut that when absorbed through the skin is as addicting as crack cocaine.
You don't say? Holy crap man, that is a stunning collection! I just sorta stared at it, mouth agape (uhhhh) drooling.

I have a single, mixmaster Inland M-1 with a 1-44 barrel date. The receiver is also an Inland, but I'm uncertain how to determine the mfg date of it. The S/N is 493xxxx.

So it may not be a collector grade M-1, but for $565 paid a year and half ago it was definitely a good buy. I love the way the gun shoots and how it feels in my hands. Even though I'm a tall guy (6'7"), the little carbine just feels darn good hold. With good magazines, it runs flawlessly too.

Last edited by jad0110; September 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM.