The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 12, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1
jaytothekizzay

AR hammer

This might be a very dumb question to most, but im still learning...

When disassembling, or reassembling my AR, what pisition should my hammer be in? Up, or forward?

Also why does the bolt need to be in the extended position in the carrier, before reinserting into the reciever?

Thanks guys... just trying to fully understand my rifle, as i learn
Old September 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Hammer position doesn't matter to separate upper receiver from lower receiver or to reattach them, provided the bolt is fully inserted.
Old September 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

I think theres 2 reasons the bolt needs to be extended. I think the pin holding the bolt in hits if it isn't, and I don't think the locking lugs would line up either.
Old September 13, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Theohazard

^^^ Exactly.

Yeah, that pin is called the "bolt cam pin"; if you notice it turns with the bolt, so when the bolt isn't fully forward in the bolt carrier the cam pin will prevent the bolt carrier group from being inserted into the upper receiver. When I'm reassembling any AR-15 type rifle I always give a quick flick of my wrist when holding the bolt carrier group to ensure the bolt pops all the way out before I insert it into the upper receiver.
Old September 13, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytothekizzay
When disassembling, or reassembling my AR, what pisition should my hammer be in? Up, or forward?
Fishbed77 is correct that it doesn't really matter, but I've found that if the hammer is in the uncocked position it can sometimes get in the way when you're trying to reassemble the upper and lower receivers.

Also, while it's completely fine to dry-fire your AR when it's assembled, remember to never dry-fire it when the rifle is disassembled. At that point the bolt carrier and firing pin aren't there to cushion the impact and the lower part of the hammer just slams into the mag well, which isn't good for it.
Old September 15, 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Mobuck

Two different discussions going on here. The upper can be reassembled to the lower with the hammer in the fired position by setting the upper on and sliding it back slightly to make sure the hammer hasn't caught on the back of the FP. I almost never put the hinge pin in and lever the upper closed FWIW.
The BCG can't be assembled into the upper with the bolt "retracted". The cam pin will prevent the assembly from entering the upper.