The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 16, 2013, 09:31 AM   #51
warrior poet

My only gripe with the P-11 is the short grip. I 'figured out' a modified grip that lets me shoot it with surprising accuracy, but I wish I could knew of (or the blueprints to make one) an extended mag for it. That would REALLY make the P-11 into "The Mouse That Roared."

-Sorry, had to make the Peter Sellers joke.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:34 AM   #52
Grant D

My smallest 9mm is a Ruger LC9.

It always works,and will get the job done at a self defence distance.

I carry it in a Crossbreed Minituk, and is comfortable to carry all day.
I tried pocket carry but it's just to big and heavy for the pocket.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:31 PM   #53
Sparks1957

warrior poet, keltec makes grip entensions that really make a difference. I have fairly large hands, and the extender allows me to get all 3 fingers around the grip...

http://www.keltecweapons.com/store/p-11-accessories/
Old August 16, 2013, 02:10 PM   #54
btmj

I tried several, and went with the Walther PPS. Great shooter, and easy to conceal.

I also have an LC9 in the household. My wife carries this daily. She shoots it well. Coming from a revolver background, trigger reset is unimportant to her, and she is quite accostomed to a long DA trigger pull. I will add that it is a soft shooting pistol and is easy to conceal.
Old August 16, 2013, 02:23 PM   #55
Rembrandt

Boberg

Old August 16, 2013, 06:59 PM   #56
Bart Noir

I've yet to see one of those Bobergs and look forward to it. Are they reliable?

As an engineer I have to tip my hat to the designer. That whole idea of pulling the round back out of the magazine causes one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Does the Boberg have unusual recoil & muzzle flip characteristics?

Bart Noir
Old August 16, 2013, 08:20 PM   #57
Psychedelic Bang

M & P Shield must be very good. Its not in stock anywhere. I almost bought the 380 bodyguard at the range today.. While I was thinking about it, I asked to see a Shield 9 and, "not in stock."

It also seems to be, "not in stock." anywhere on the internet...
Old August 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #58
baddarryl

Kahr CM9
Old August 17, 2013, 01:44 PM   #59
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior poet
My only gripe with the P-11 is the short grip. I 'figured out' a modified grip that lets me shoot it with surprising accuracy, but I wish I could knew of (or the blueprints to make one) an extended mag for it. That would REALLY make the P-11 into "The Mouse That Roared."
S&W 59 series 15-shot double stack 9mm magazines fit the P-11 perfectly. Kelgren designed it that way.
KelTec even offers a grip extension to slide over the S&W magazine.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product...rd-mag-sleeve/
Old August 17, 2013, 02:09 PM   #60
Boarhunter

Rembrandt, I am glad to see that I am not the only one willing to go out on a limb and vote for the Boberg; I liked mine so much I bought a second. And I guess it is a good thing that my favorite gun store had no more Shortys on hand, or I would have bought more....

Bart Noir, the first Boberg XR9-S that I purchased was NOT reliable. It would eject both the empty AND the next loaded round from the magazine. I sent it back to the factory for repair, no questions asked and at the factory's expense, and it was returned to me in a week or so. Excellent service. And since its return, the gun has been 100% reliable.

I liked the gun so much I then bought a second Shorty, and it has worked perfectly from the first pull of the trigger. No break-in rounds required.

The gun is superbly accurate with surprisingly minimal recoil. You can literally shoot 100s of rounds through it with no pain or palsy whatsoever.

I like the gun much.

Boarhunter
Old August 17, 2013, 03:02 PM   #61
Stevie-Ray

Favorite is my Glock 26, though I haven't yet shot a Ruger LC9 and want to.
Old August 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #62
skizzums

for value, SCCY cpx-1. for all around, Shield.
Old August 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #63
Tad_T

I have to agree with dalegribble.

I am partial to my PT709 Slim.

Old August 17, 2013, 07:43 PM   #64
orionengnr

Kahr PM9.
Seven years, at least half of which it was my EDC, and is now again.
I'd sure like a Kimber Solo, and may try that one day.
I've had the EMP, but mine didn't work right from new...and it was the same size/weight as a .45acp 3" 1911. So I never really saw the point.
Tried the Glocks...not really a "mini'...except maybe a mini-brick.
Had the K-Ts, including the P11. Not only did it not work, but it was a mini-brick as well.
Yeah, I'll stick with my PM9. I am 5"9", 145 lbs and my PM9 fits every pocket I own, with the exception of the tight jeans that I no longer wear anyway.
Of course, my j-frame and my LCP wouldn't fit in those pockets either...
Old August 17, 2013, 09:28 PM   #65
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir
I've yet to see one of those Bobergs and look forward to it. Are they reliable?

As an engineer I have to tip my hat to the designer. That whole idea of pulling the round back out of the magazine causes one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Does the Boberg have unusual recoil & muzzle flip characteristics?
Got hundreds of rounds thru mine, absolutely flawless performance....the engineering is superb. I work with engineering designers daily, they all gave it a resounding thumbs up! I'm looking forward the .45 shorty. Muzzle control is actually tame and very controllable because of the barrel length and set back into the web of your hand.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #66
PT-92

Kel-Tec P-11
Glock 26

in that order.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:52 PM   #67
verdun59

I'll have to say my Kahr PM9, smooth, reliable and accurate.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:15 PM   #68
wpsdlrg

I finally broke down and bought a Kahr CM9. I have never been a fan of the no external safety, striker-fired type of pistol....but I wanted a quality "pocket-sized" 9mm....and finally just went with the CM9 (hoping that it would work out).

I must say that, it has been easier and more pleasant than I expected. One, the little pistol is ridiculously accurate (my FIRST magazine, standing/ off-hand at a distance of 12 yards, produced a group a bit smaller than 2.5"). Two, the trigger was much easier to master than I expected. I usually shoot any pistol (new to me) to the right and low....but not the CM9. I was dead-on, right from the first magazine. Third, recoil, even with relatively stout SD loads, was rather mild - not unpleasant at all.

To be fair, I must mention the feeding problems I did have with the pistol. The first round, though only from a fully loaded magazine, would nose-dive and jam against the feed ramp. Every other round fed just fine. I finally traced the problem to an over-long magazine spring. Removing 2 coils from the 6 rounder springs fixed the problem. The 7-round mags were even worse - 3 or 4 coils needed to be removed from their springs. Surprisingly, Kahr doesn't seem to have caught on to this, as of yet.

Anyway, I certainly am in no position to say that the CM9 is "the best". I'm sure that there are others available that are equally good, or even better. But, it seems to work for me - and was (and is) a pleasant surprise.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #69
Rob228

Got my wife a Glock 26, as it is our only mini 9, it comes close to being a favorite.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:13 PM   #70
BigD_in_FL

REMBRANDT- how does the Boberg work as far as pocket carry? Does that large "hook" on the back of the receiver hang up too much necessitating the use of an IWB holster?
Old August 18, 2013, 10:23 PM   #71
daddyo

PM9!
Old August 18, 2013, 10:46 PM   #72
Bronco4me

Kahr PM9
Old August 19, 2013, 11:38 AM   #73
coop2564

Sig 938 is a very good one.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:15 PM   #74
Boarhunter

BigD in Florida,

I will not put words in Rembrandt's mouth, but for me the Boberg is perfect for pocket carry. I keep one of mine in a "sticky" pocket holster just to keep it properly aligned for easy grip/withdrawal from the pocket. As flat as it is, particularly in the pocket holster, there is little indication I am carrying.

My other Boberg will go into a kydex IWB holster, just as soon as it arrives. And for the time-being, it too is in a "sticky" holster worn inside the waist band of my pants.

Boarhunter
Old August 19, 2013, 09:10 PM   #75
arizona98tj

The smallest 9mm that I have is a Kahr PM9, so by default, that is my favorite. That being said, up until several months ago, it was my regular CCW for a number of years. A Springfield XDs45 has taken over CCW duty.