The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2013, 05:39 AM   #1
chrisintexas

Bore Axis

How much of factor is bore axis in handling of a gun? Thanks
Old August 9, 2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Pilot

Depending on the gun, a higher bore axis may lead to more muzzle rise, and more time between shots. I prefer a low bore axis that translates felt recoil more directly into the hand/arm.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
g.willikers

It also depends on the skill of the shooter and their grip strength.
One of the regulars at our weekend matches uses an old S&W, that has a high bore axis.
And he shoots it every bit as well as the folks do with their 1911s.
But most everyone else who tries it out can't.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Sevens

In some cases, my experience has suggested that it means a lot.
Most glaring example I can relate is in two of my guns--both 10mm Auto.

I have a S&W 1006, full size with 5-inch barrel and all steel. It's a pig, big & heavy, most folks call it "a tank."

My carry gun is a Glock 29, 10mm, with a 3.78" barrel and obviously..a polymer frame. It's actually very close to the Glock 19 in slide slength and grip length, it's just quite a bit more fat.

In any case, the two pistols couldn't be anymore different, but when running the same exact loads through each pistol side by side, I observe more "felt recoil" or perhaps torquing muzzle flip from the much larger and heavier Smith & Wesson.

When you put the two handguns side by side, the difference in bore axis is obvious. I believe that it may be the largest contributing factor.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Constantine

Grip is most important. A proper grip at that.

However, a lower bore axis does help a lot more when you already have a great grip.

If you have a bad grip, a low bore axis won't help you out much to tell a difference.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old August 9, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
RBid

I'd say the main factors of muzzle rise, in order, are...

1. Grip (grip technique and grip strength each factor heavily)
2. bore axis
3. weight
4. RSA/recoil spring assembly

If your grip is dialed in, it really does make a difference.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #7
kcub

Size is important. A gun made to fit in a pocket has more rise than a service pistol. Also barrel length.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I'd say the main factors of muzzle rise, in order, are...

1. Grip (grip technique and grip strength each factor heavily)
2. bore axis
3. weight
4. RSA/recoil spring assembly

If your grip is dialed in, it really does make a difference.
Human error has nothing to do with the guns ability and must be factored out to get a real look at what it does and doesn't do well. Muzzle rise of a gun has more to do with "Balance" from the guns standpoint.

Contained in Balance are factors of weight, barrel length, bore axis, cartridge type and load. When those four are "IN TUNE" the "Balance" makes beautiful music. So distribute the weight, keep the bore axis low as possible, barrel length and cartridge accounted for and you achieve balance.

What made the Colt 45 Peacemaker the most beloved revolver for so many years? Balance.

The more out of balance a pistol is, the harder it is to fire faster and more accurately. A higher bore axis affects the weapon negatively and something else in the design would need to be changed to bring it back in balance.

So balance not achieved because balance was impractical Due to high bore axis. Seems more commonplace with the other factors as well when it comes to newer designs.

IE the demand of the user may not be practical, but the money it contributes is necessary therefore demand wins!
Old August 10, 2013, 07:18 PM   #9
kcub

Quote:
What made the Colt 45 Peacemaker the most beloved revolver for so many years? Balance.
Would that have been the sheriff's model, civilian model, artillery model, cavalry model or buntline?
Old August 10, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
FALPhil

Bore axis is a real issue. It is why a good shooter can shoot a CZ faster and more accurately than he can a Sig.
Old August 10, 2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Would that have been the sheriff's model, civilian model, artillery model, cavalry model or buntline?
Meant the colt 45 "Peacemaker" SAA m1873 (Single Action Army) 6" barrel. So easy to forget the Peacemaker references have broader terms.